LETS TALK: TRAILER maintenance, setup, restraints, etc - Page 4 - GSXR.com
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Novice
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiazza View Post
Why don't you put the TRS plate on top of the mesh and a piece of 3/4" plywood under the mesh and then bolt it together? It will sandwich the mesh between the two and distribute the load across a wider surface.
Yeah, I thought about it a little longer. The plates on the mesh alone won't work. The mesh is pretty damn weak.
jpratt847 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 745
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiazza View Post
You can tow a lot more than that with a murano. Trailer plus 2 bikes is probably only about 1500 pounds. I would bet you are rated to tow close to 5k.

I really like the design of the Kendon's but I just can't get past the price for a trailer that is really no good other than for towing the bike and it's still an open trailer. Hard to beat the convenience of folding up though.

I use the new canyon dancers. No complaints here, haven't seen damage to my grips as of yet.
Yea the Murano is 3500lb max, so I'm def good to go. Got the Kendon used pretty cheap so not so bad. The fold up and weight is the reason we got it. Can put it in the garage against the wall, very convenient. A place to keep the trailer was the biggest obstacle until I found the Kendon.

We are gonna try to figure out how to put the TRS on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenin View Post
you have in your hands one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. Great work! That is a beautiful bike.

April 2016 BOTM
http://www.gsxr.com/42-gsxr-news/217...ml#post3396066
Newyork is offline  
post #123 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Pro Racer
 
apiazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 1,583
Garage
Good find I was looking for one used when I shopped for my trailer but everyone was basically asking retail for it. I went the harbor freight super cheap route until I come up with a more permanent solution. I really want a truck and closed trailer but it will be some time before all that happens.

2004 GSXR600 (Track)
2009 Ninja 650R (Street)
apiazza is offline  
 
post #124 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 4,754
Garage
Our enclosed trailer has paid for itself many times over just in saved moving costs for family members.
MadeInAmerica likes this.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #125 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Live Fast Die FUN
 
SRAD600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Nacle, NJ
Posts: 14,020
Garage
I gave up on Canyon dancers LONG ago before the new design. Watched a bike take a flyin leap off our trailer coming home from bike week when it yanked a grip all kinds of stupid.

I just started using soft straps over the triples running the tie down up to it. Just gotta be aware of how tight you get to not abuse the forks.

Of course all that stopped once I got the TRS. Now its just when Im doubled up in the back of Sixxxers truck with his ZX6



K5 1K street - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline  
post #126 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Pro Racer
 
apiazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 1,583
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade View Post
Our enclosed trailer has paid for itself many times over just in saved moving costs for family members.


Which is another reason I want a closed trailer. Comes in handy for so many things outside of the track

2004 GSXR600 (Track)
2009 Ninja 650R (Street)
apiazza is offline  
post #127 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Pro Racer
 
JFM GSXR 750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NEW YORK STATE ORANGE COUNTY
Posts: 3,323
Thumbs up

The Nisan Murano is an awesome tow vechicle. I had a 2007 that I would tow my 5x8 enclosed trailer and 2 bikes and gear to the track
for 6 track seasons. I even towed a few small cars with a car dolly.
My son wrecked it 2 years ago and I miss it.

Like others have said, having an enclosed trailer is very useful. Towing
bikes to the track, moving furniture, other bulky items etc. I used it
for power washing jobs when the work van was down. During the winter I store my warm weather stuff, lawn mower, grill, lawn chairs etc. Love it.......now I need something to tow it with. The last 2 seasons we have been using my friends Chevy pickup to tow the trailer
to track days.
JFM GSXR 750 is offline  
post #128 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 745
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM GSXR 750 View Post
The Nisan Murano is an awesome tow vechicle. I had a 2007 that I would tow my 5x8 enclosed trailer and 2 bikes and gear to the track
for 6 track seasons. I even towed a few small cars with a car dolly.
My son wrecked it 2 years ago and I miss it.

Like others have said, having an enclosed trailer is very useful. Towing
bikes to the track, moving furniture, other bulky items etc. I used it
for power washing jobs when the work van was down. During the winter I store my warm weather stuff, lawn mower, grill, lawn chairs etc. Love it.......now I need something to tow it with. The last 2 seasons we have been using my friends Chevy pickup to tow the trailer
to track days.
This is good to know, as I have been wondering what size enclosed would work for me. I went halves on the Kendon with my buddy, and if/when we upgrade we will need an enclosed that fits two bikes.

I Love my Murano! It's a 2012, I just got it in February after I wrecked my Honda Accord. Im secretly happy about the whole incident cuz the murano is way better and a lot more useful. I used to make fun of them and now I drive one. It's really comfortable and very practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenin View Post
you have in your hands one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. Great work! That is a beautiful bike.

April 2016 BOTM
http://www.gsxr.com/42-gsxr-news/217...ml#post3396066
Newyork is offline  
post #129 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Pro Racer
 
MadeInAmerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyork View Post
This is good to know, as I have been wondering what size enclosed would work for me. I went halves on the Kendon with my buddy, and if/when we upgrade we will need an enclosed that fits two bikes.

I Love my Murano! It's a 2012, I just got it in February after I wrecked my Honda Accord. Im secretly happy about the whole incident cuz the murano is way better and a lot more useful. I used to make fun of them and now I drive one. It's really comfortable and very practical.
I have a 6'x12' enclosed trailer and it is perfect for 1 bike, gear, and some extra stuff. I still have space to walk inside the trailer when it is loaded.

I would go with at least a 7'x14' for two bike. That way it isn't jam packed when loaded and you can still get to your stuff.
Newyork likes this.
MadeInAmerica is offline  
post #130 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Racer
 
krumpdancer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Cruz ca
Posts: 523
Man I am gonna have to get me that TRS. Anyone know a place that has a good deal on them right now? I looked on eBay and could not find any. I have a 4 x 8 diamond plate Trailer that I believe might have been a U-Haul trailer that they converted over. The good thing about it is is that has the full 13 inch tires and leaf springs so on the highway it just coast. The thing that sucks is diamond plate in the morning is slippery as hell and one time while taking the bike down the bikes slipped and actually landed on top of me and I was able to hold it up until my wife was able to come outside and help me get out from underneath the bike and pick the bike back up. So I think I'm going to rhino line a strip for each bike on the trailer. I just bolted in a wheel chock and use bar and straps and it seems to work pretty good for now.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

You ain't havin fun if you ain't gettin loose.
krumpdancer101 is offline  
post #131 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Pro Racer
 
JFM GSXR 750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NEW YORK STATE ORANGE COUNTY
Posts: 3,323
Thumbs up

My 5x8 enclosed weighs 700lbs. I wish I went a little larger, at least a 6x10, which weighs 900lbs. My 5x8 does get a little cramped. I have
2 condor wheel chocks in the front of the 5x8. I ride the bike up the ramp style door and the front wheel locks in. I strap the back down slightly and done. Haven't dropped a bike yet! But the bigger the better for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
JFM GSXR 750 is offline  
post #132 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 PM
Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 745
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM GSXR 750 View Post
My 5x8 enclosed weighs 700lbs. I wish I went a little larger, at least a 6x10, which weighs 900lbs. My 5x8 does get a little cramped. I have
2 condor wheel chocks in the front of the 5x8. I ride the bike up the ramp style door and the front wheel locks in. I strap the back down slightly and done. Haven't dropped a bike yet! But the bigger the better for sure!
Sounds like the 6x10 would be perfect! I have from now until I get one to find a place to keep it! I'm gonna try to find a place to put all the stuff that shouldn't be taking up my garage space so I can put it in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenin View Post
you have in your hands one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. Great work! That is a beautiful bike.

April 2016 BOTM
http://www.gsxr.com/42-gsxr-news/217...ml#post3396066
Newyork is offline  
post #133 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 745
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumpdancer101 View Post
Man I am gonna have to get me that TRS. Anyone know a place that has a good deal on them right now? I looked on eBay and could not find any. I have a 4 x 8 diamond plate Trailer that I believe might have been a U-Haul trailer that they converted over. The good thing about it is is that has the full 13 inch tires and leaf springs so on the highway it just coast. The thing that sucks is diamond plate in the morning is slippery as hell and one time while taking the bike down the bikes slipped and actually landed on top of me and I was able to hold it up until my wife was able to come outside and help me get out from underneath the bike and pick the bike back up. So I think I'm going to rhino line a strip for each bike on the trailer. I just bolted in a wheel chock and use bar and straps and it seems to work pretty good for now.
The Kendon I just got has rhino liner on it and it seems to be real grippy so that should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenin View Post
you have in your hands one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. Great work! That is a beautiful bike.

April 2016 BOTM
http://www.gsxr.com/42-gsxr-news/217...ml#post3396066
Newyork is offline  
post #134 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Pro Racer
 
MadeInAmerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyork View Post
Sounds like the 6x10 would be perfect! I have from now until I get one to find a place to keep it! I'm gonna try to find a place to put all the stuff that shouldn't be taking up my garage space so I can put it in there.
I forgot you are not pulling the trailer with a truck, so 7'x14' might be a little too much trailer. 6'x10' is not a common size enclosed trailer. There will be a lot more used 6'x12' trailers available. I really think you would be happier with a 6'x12' for two bikes. The extra length provides more space to properly position the bikes to help reduce tounge weight. It is always better to have extra space, rather than be crammed. It would be a plus to find one with the 6" additional height, that way you don't have to duck when in the trailer. Another thing is torsion axles have a lower deck height and ride smoother, which is nice for hauling motorcycles.

Last edited by MadeInAmerica; 04-11-2016 at 11:50 PM.
MadeInAmerica is offline  
post #135 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:23 AM
Racer
 
Newyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 745
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
I forgot you are not pulling the trailer with a truck, so 7'x14' might be a little too much trailer. 6'x10' is not a common size enclosed trailer. There will be a lot more used 6'x12' trailers available. I really think you would be happier with a 6'x12' for two bikes. The extra length provides more space to properly position the bikes to help reduce tounge weight. It is always better to have extra space, rather than be crammed. It would be a plus to find one with the 6" additional height, that way you don't have to duck when in the trailer. Another thing is torsion axles have a lower deck height and ride smoother, which is nice for hauling motorcycles.
Yea exactly, I'm def leaning toward a smaller enclosed for that reason.
Thanks a lot for the info, very helpful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenin View Post
you have in your hands one of the nicest looking bikes I've ever seen. Great work! That is a beautiful bike.

April 2016 BOTM
http://www.gsxr.com/42-gsxr-news/217...ml#post3396066
Newyork is offline  
post #136 of 136 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Pro Racer
 
JFM GSXR 750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NEW YORK STATE ORANGE COUNTY
Posts: 3,323
Thumbs up

When I have to do any work on the trailer, its lite and small enough to
pull into the garage and do whatever I have to do out of the weather.
I do wish I had a 6x10 or 6x12, VNOSE. Get a vnose, more aerodynamic and I am sure better gas mileage than a non vnose.

Another good thing about the Murano, Ford Edge, or any of the other mid sized SUVs in that class is when you aren't towing something. They are enjoyable to drive around and the gas mileage aint too bad.
JFM GSXR 750 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome