Is it possible to Hot wire a 07 GSXR 600 - GSXR.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Is it possible to Hot wire a 07 GSXR 600

Hey guys,


My 2007 GSXR 600 Black recently got stolen.

First thing, Please go and read more about it on this thread.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?p...97#post1174497

I will appreciate it.



Second, I have a question. I am trying to figure out how it was done. Someone saw a person riding my bike off. Which means that It was either hot wired, or they had the key.


Not my friend who owns a Yamaha said that the 07 gsxr 600 shouldn't be able to hot wire. He said my ECU is probably under my seat , and that My bike has a electronically controlled steering dampener. Which means that The steering lock couldnt have been broken. And even if it was , it wouldnt have been able to be driven too far because it would have resulted in some damage.

So yeah the only conclusion is that either the guy i got my key duplicated from, or someone else had the key to my bike. or it got hotwired.


What do you guys think? can the 07 gsxr 600 be Hotwired and steering lock be broken?


Thanks guys , much appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy.jpg (94.5 KB, 102 views)
vishalxyz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Rider
 
GSXR Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 487
Garage
They could have made a switch in staters. Their some story on here about that; I am pretty sure its a sticky. As for the steering lock; in all reality it is useless. They can be broken, and ridden with them broken.

You live, you love, you die.
GSXR Joker is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Pro Racer
 
reckyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,062
Sorry to hear that

It's a mechanical damper not elec

I got same model bike

Sent from my MB525 using Motorcycle.com Free App

mpg wins = 4

mpg gumball 2

previous DOMO(outside USA) entertainer
reckyb is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Pro Racer
 
loride91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,275
I fail to see how the damper is related at all whether electronic or not. Its not like the steering lock is designed through the damper. Had you had the bike serviced recently? Maybe a shady mechanic or clerical person copied your key or wrote the number down from it and made one later, they pretty much always ask for relevant information or have access to it via your registration card which may have been under your seat as far as where you live. This happens easily with the right combination of lowlifes around.

2013 Victory Hardball with ever increasing list of goodies

Retired k7 1000, with one or two things done to it.
loride91 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loride91 View Post
I fail to see how the damper is related at all whether electronic or not. Its not like the steering lock is designed through the damper. Had you had the bike serviced recently? Maybe a shady mechanic or clerical person copied your key or wrote the number down from it and made one later, they pretty much always ask for relevant information or have access to it via your registration card which may have been under your seat as far as where you live. This happens easily with the right combination of lowlifes around.
I did get my key duplicated by this ghetto and shady looking locksmith. . . . but i didnt see him make a third copy in front of me.

and what do you mean when you say wrote the number down from it?
vishalxyz is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Pro Racer
 
loride91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalxyz View Post
I did get my key duplicated by this ghetto and shady looking locksmith. . . . but i didnt see him make a third copy in front of me.

and what do you mean when you say wrote the number down from it?
There is a four digit number associated with suzuki keys. When you buy the bike it comes on a little tag on a keyring type thing with the bike. Some people leave this with their key, haha, its intended to be used if you need another key, therefore if you lose the key that had it attached to it, you have lost the number to get a new one made. Sorry for the loss. Was the person that said they saw someone on it very sure? Much more likely that it was picked up with a minivan.

2013 Victory Hardball with ever increasing list of goodies

Retired k7 1000, with one or two things done to it.
loride91 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loride91 View Post
There is a four digit number associated with suzuki keys. When you buy the bike it comes on a little tag on a keyring type thing with the bike. Some people leave this with their key, haha, its intended to be used if you need another key, therefore if you lose the key that had it attached to it, you have lost the number to get a new one made. Sorry for the loss. Was the person that said they saw someone on it very sure? Much more likely that it was picked up with a minivan.
Yes, He said he came face to face while this guy was leaving the appartment community. and He was in a rush he swerved around this guy. The person even described the person, but couldnt describe his face because he had a helmet on. Also this happened at 11 AM.

and yeah I did have my tag attached to this key when i went to get it duplicated . . .
vishalxyz is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Pro Racer
 
loride91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalxyz View Post
Yes, He said he came face to face while this guy was leaving the appartment community. and He was in a rush he swerved around this guy. The person even described the person, but couldnt describe his face because he had a helmet on. Also this happened at 11 AM.

and yeah I did have my tag attached to this key when i went to get it duplicated . . .
Ok, the tag probably made it easier on the thief, although I don't know how accessible that info is to the average key cutting type verse buying one from the Suzuki dealer. I would imagine at the dealer that they would want proof of ownership with the four digit code to get one made. Anything can be hotwired with the right know how as well. It's not like these use transponder keys either which only slows a thief down a little. I installed car audio and security for years. If they want it, they will get it. It's just how annoying and how much risk you can make for them to deter them. Was the steering locked? Did you have a rear disk lock on it? Sadly you need these and more to keep what's yours now a days.

2013 Victory Hardball with ever increasing list of goodies

Retired k7 1000, with one or two things done to it.
loride91 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Pro Racer
 
EvilGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,647
Garage
Something just seems odd that the thief would steal it at 11 am in broad daylight. You sure its not a person you know or might have had someone in your apartment recently that would have taken the spare key and stole your bike?
EvilGSXR is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Shot Caller
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cali
Posts: 9,202
Just as a moderator note, I do not want to see REAL DETAILED accounts of how to hotwire motorcycles posted on here. General postings are fine to allow people to know how to take adequate precautions, such as the referenced sticky. We don't need to contribute free advice to would be thieves.

Thank you.
Mister Tee is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Pro Racer
 
Heaton750f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 1,341
Did you have it insured? Hope you get it back man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsnips View Post
DO NOT get foot prints in the snow around my igloo...pisses me off.
Heaton750f is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 AM
B&M
Rider
 
B&M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 382
damn dude! sorry to hear your babe was stolen! we have the same bike

i have a tracker on mine that i cant even find, and i have taken my bike apart to the bone!

i know trackers are a pricy but replacing your bike is even more

hope you find the bike and drop the thief off in sandys path

K7 SUZUKI GSX-R 599cc

WITH GsxREAT power Comes GsxREAT responsibility
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Its a vagina thing bro, you should understand that
B&M is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Pro Racer
 
EvilGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,647
Garage
they should start putting tracking chips in the frames of bikes from the factory, sure it will cost a little more, but I would pay a little extra to have piece of mind.
EvilGSXR is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Novice
 
Akragixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne,fl
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGSXR View Post
they should start putting tracking chips in the frames of bikes from the factory, sure it will cost a little more, but I would pay a little extra to have piece of mind.
I think that's a great idea
But I'm sure if that did happen the theifs would just find a way around it
Akragixxer is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Pro Racer
 
EvilGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,647
Garage
unfortunately this is true, like stated before if a thief really wants something they will get it.
EvilGSXR is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Rider
 
GSXR Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 487
Garage
If you get your bike stolen; sometimes its better to not get it back. You know they are going to pick it apart and sell parts out. Sometimes you can get lucky and get it back altogether. Hope you get back to riding soon.

You live, you love, you die.
GSXR Joker is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Pro Racer
 
Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoMich734
Posts: 1,705
To answer your question, your bike can be hot wired and the steering lock can easily be broken. Your ECU doesn't activate strictly with your key chip like the newer Ducati ECUs.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss.
Did you have Theft coverage?


R.I.P. Riski
Vicious is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
hi guys here in S.A the F--kers load them up in vans n drive away i no its easier to take none coded models, but ive heard of coded models been stolen n ridden away.
Not cool sorry bro
ty111 is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
To answer your question, your bike can be hot wired and the steering lock can easily be broken. Your ECU doesn't activate strictly with your key chip like the newer Ducati ECUs.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss.
Did you have Theft coverage?
hmmm now the question is if its a tedious process to hot wire it. BEcause the theft happened at 11 in the morning. So if its a tedious process, its less likely that it was hot wired.

and now I did not have theft coverage.
vishalxyz is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
sp220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalxyz View Post
hmmm now the question is if its a tedious process to hot wire it. BEcause the theft happened at 11 in the morning. So if its a tedious process, its less likely that it was hot wired.

and now I did not have theft coverage.
I would go back to the shady locksmith key idea....I don't think anyone would be doing it at 11 am......but ya never know.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6123/sp220w.png
sp220 is offline  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Novice
 
BigCat10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp220 View Post
I would go back to the shady locksmith key idea....I don't think anyone would be doing it at 11 am......but ya never know.
im with u, nobody "stealing" something will do it in broad daylight, but somebody simply taking a bike for a ride, nobody will question. Helmet was on, key inserted an bike started, I know I wouldnt be suspicious
BigCat10R is offline  
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
sp220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat10R View Post
im with u, nobody "stealing" something will do it in broad daylight, but somebody simply taking a bike for a ride, nobody will question. Helmet was on, key inserted an bike started, I know I wouldnt be suspicious
Right

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6123/sp220w.png
sp220 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome