What do i need to know before stretching my bike??? - GSXR.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
Question What do i need to know before stretching my bike???

So heres my situation guys. I lowered my bike 2 inches and have been riding it for a month now. i can only put one foot down and i feel very comfortable when approaching up to a stop.

The guys at the shop told me if i lower it 4 inches it would be scraping my rear fairing. So i'm thinking i should stretch my bike 4 to 6 inches to make it work out.

What would you guys advise?
and what do i need to know and buy before stretching my bike?

thank you
any input would greatly appreciated.

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Racer
 
Fstgixxer1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roc, NY
Posts: 681
So if you feel comfortable on one foot why lower it more? If you putting extensions on its pretty basic. They sell complete kits or you can piece one together.

08 Busa
08 Gsxr 1000
Fstgixxer1000 is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Squid
 
sapperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: schweinfurt, germany
Posts: 12
are you lowering it to drag race it or is it a everyday driver?

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!
sapperguy is offline  
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Pro Racer
 
pswamp605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SE GA
Posts: 3,798
mine is an everyday rider, stretch 8 and lowerd 3,
it really depends on how you ride, as to how much it will affect you. if you like to whellie, those will be out of the pic, if you like drag racing it will help you alot, if you go to "track days" and do all the twisties the will affect you as well, if your just riding and cruising around it wont be as bad on you.
extensions, brake line, and chain will be what you need, i personally would go at least 6 inches though.

06 1000
5.68@131
8.90@155

....zoom zoom bishes
pswamp605 is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Squid
 
sapperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: schweinfurt, germany
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pswamp605 View Post
mine is an everyday rider, stretch 8 and lowerd 3,
it really depends on how you ride, as to how much it will affect you. if you like to whellie, those will be out of the pic, if you like drag racing it will help you alot, if you go to "track days" and do all the twisties the will affect you as well, if your just riding and cruising around it wont be as bad on you.
extensions, brake line, and chain will be what you need, i personally would go at least 6 inches though.
so you paid $5k+ just to destroy the years of engineering work that was put into it? tell all the guys at starbucks i said hey

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!
sapperguy is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Pro Racer
 
jtownthug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jesup, Iowa
Posts: 1,044
Streching it wont help you lower it so you can put your feet down. When you strech a bike it raises it up so you then lower the suspension to bring it back down. Lowering a streched bike 4 inches with give you roughly the same ride hight as a stock bike lowered 2 inches. Depending on the strech, stock hight, rider weight, etc. A streched bike will actualy scrape more than a stock lenght bike at the same hight because of the increased wheel base.

Cut down your own exhaust! For more information visit your local library or...
http://www.gsxr.com/13-tech-performance-chat/67499-k1-750-cut-exhaust-pics.html

Last edited by jtownthug; 12-15-2010 at 10:04 AM.
jtownthug is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Squid
 
GFunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperguy View Post
so you paid $5k+ just to destroy the years of engineering work that was put into it? tell all the guys at starbucks i said hey


GFunk is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Rider
 
mightymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LaMarque,Tx.
Posts: 122
first off,how much do u weigh and how tall are you??? i'm 5'3 and with my street bike,it's lowered 2 in the front and on the third hole on my dog bones. i'm also stretched 6inches and i can sit flat footed. no scraping or bottoming out. if u ride two up,depending on weight of your passenger,you might scrape a little of bottom out,if you got a thick chick.
mightymouse is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
Thanks for everyones input. ill try to reply to everyones post. im not looking to do wheelies nor drag or twisties. Just a everyday rider. and i said i don't feel comfortable with one foot on the ground, i live in Colorado so there are some weird streets that really make it difficult only having one foot down.

im around 135 lbs im 5'2 but my inseam is around 27-28 it really sucks haha. im not really looking to put anyone on the back of my bike just yet ahhaa especially a thick chick hahah

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches

Last edited by Juiceeman; 12-15-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Juiceeman is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownthug View Post
Streching it wont help you lower it so you can put your feet down. When you strech a bike it raises it up so you then lower the suspension to bring it back down. Lowering a streched bike 4 inches with give you roughly the same ride hight as a stock bike lowered 2 inches. Depending on the strech, stock hight, rider weight, etc. A streched bike will actualy scrape more than a stock lenght bike at the same hight because of the increased wheel base.

Yeah i was actually looking at that last night. seeing that the swing arm has a slight angle towards the ground. ...hmmmmm wish i could buy height on ebay hahaha

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Squid
 
sapperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: schweinfurt, germany
Posts: 12
have you looked into shaving your seat?

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!
sapperguy is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Racer
 
Vitamin E's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Walterboro, SC
Posts: 652
I just got into the world of stretched and lowered bikes, but from what I see it's mostly a looks thing. Unless you actually plan on drag racing every once in a while. If not, just lower the bike 4". If that doesn't make you feel comfy you'll have to look into seat options. That's my opinion.

I've owned 3 bikes and I'm still a noob
600 K4
*Harris Performance Iridium TechnaFlow Screen
*Vortex lowering links
*JPR shorty levers
*Scorpion modified Titanium slip on
*Driven D3 grips
*DDM Tuning 55w 8000k HIDs
*Stretched 6"
*Roaring Toyz mirrors
Vitamin E is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Pro Racer
 
MR DANGLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas tx
Posts: 5,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin E View Post
I just got into the world of stretched and lowered bikes, but from what I see it's mostly a looks thing. Unless you actually plan on drag racing every once in a while. If not, just lower the bike 4". If that doesn't make you feel comfy you'll have to look into seat options. That's my opinion.
What do i need to know before stretching my bike???


First thing you need to do is move to Florida



FU*K AVERAGE

THE HUNT IS ON

MR DANGLES is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Squid
 
sapperguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: schweinfurt, germany
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DANGLES View Post
What do i need to know before stretching my bike???


First thing you need to do is move to Florida
qft

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!
sapperguy is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
yeah i already did shave my seat. and i tried to lower the bike 4 inches but it was extremely close to my rear fairing.

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Pro Racer
 
pswamp605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SE GA
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperguy View Post
so you paid $5k+ just to destroy the years of engineering work that was put into it? tell all the guys at starbucks i said hey
i take it you didnt spend x amount of dollars to "destroy years of engineering" on your bike either,

if you stretch it it wont be so close to your rear fairing due to the upward angle of the fairing.

06 1000
5.68@131
8.90@155

....zoom zoom bishes
pswamp605 is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pswamp605 View Post
i take it you didnt spend x amount of dollars to "destroy years of engineering" on your bike either,

if you stretch it it wont be so close to your rear fairing due to the upward angle of the fairing.
yeah thats what i thought too but extending my swing arm will also increase my seat height due to the angle of the swing arm. as jtownthug put it.

so hmmmm haha

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Rider
 
mightymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LaMarque,Tx.
Posts: 122
Go to your local sport bike shop or online and get the three hole lowering links. Drop the front 2inchs and you will be fine!!!! Trust me!!! I'm about an 1/2 inc taller than you. I did this to my street bikes and all others with no problems!!!
mightymouse is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
Go to your local sport bike shop or online and get the three hole lowering links. Drop the front 2inchs and you will be fine!!!! Trust me!!! I'm about an 1/2 inc taller than you. I did this to my street bikes and all others with no problems!!!
it is already lowered 2 inches in the front and 2 in the back. haha

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Rider
 
mightymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LaMarque,Tx.
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceeman View Post
it is already lowered 2 inches in the front and 2 in the back. haha
what are you lowering the back with??? if you use the 3 hole you will be fine. the adjustables are better and easier to work with because you can adjust them and put them at any height. either style is good. the 3 hole puts it 3 or 4 inches in the back.
mightymouse is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
what are you lowering the back with??? if you use the 3 hole you will be fine. the adjustables are better and easier to work with because you can adjust them and put them at any height. either style is good. the 3 hole puts it 3 or 4 inches in the back.
its a dog bone its has an option of 2 to 4 inches it is currently sitting on 2 inches

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Novice
 
plainandsimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 43
then put it on 4" and stretch it so itll bring it back up about a inch.. (thats what she said)

2002 GSXR600 lowered, stretched, spike bolts, mirror deletes, k&n, scorpion slip on, -1/+2 sprockets, double bubble, thats about it... nothing special
plainandsimple is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Pro Racer
 
pswamp605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SE GA
Posts: 3,798
like nike, just do it stretch it, lower it and be fine

06 1000
5.68@131
8.90@155

....zoom zoom bishes
pswamp605 is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Pro Racer
 
Riski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 1,504
So did you sack up and do it yet?


Riski's YouTube Racing Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/riskistang
Riski is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Bry
The Honey Badger
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 11,953
Have you looked into shoes/boots with a thicker sole than what you normally wear when you ride?

For example:



Or


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
buncha fat fawks in here...you dont need a liter bike, you need jenny craig
2011 ZX10R
Akra Full System<>Guhls ECU Flash<>PC5
Yoshi FE<>Puig DB<>Shorai LFX<>Woodcraft sliders

07 750-Sold
Bry is offline  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Have you looked into shoes/boots with a thicker sole than what you normally wear when you ride?

For example:



Or

Nice.....
busdriver is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Juiceeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 23
yeah imma get stretch it 6 inches and bring it down 4 . haha hah and yeah i have a pair of the second boots. works great but very uncomfortable when i got to the bars hahaha

so pretty much all i need is the extension. extra chain links. and brake hoses.
correct guys haha

The Start of Something Beautiful:

K5 600
- LOR Exhaust
- Hot bodies undertail kit
- Lowered 2 inches
Juiceeman is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Racer
 
Fstgixxer1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roc, NY
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceeman View Post
yeah imma get stretch it 6 inches and bring it down 4 . haha hah and yeah i have a pair of the second boots. works great but very uncomfortable when i got to the bars hahaha

so pretty much all i need is the extension. extra chain links. and brake hoses.
correct guys haha
They sell complete kits with everything you need. Im sure someone can post a kit for a good price.

08 Busa
08 Gsxr 1000
Fstgixxer1000 is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Novice
 
k8gixxxer750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Have you looked into shoes/boots with a thicker sole than what you normally wear when you ride?

For example:



Or


hahahaa

08 750

Lowered, Open Header with 7'' slash cut pipe tig welded on; Thats It 9.90s


k8gixxxer750 is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Novice
 
k8gixxxer750's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 35
also lower your tire pressure

08 750

Lowered, Open Header with 7'' slash cut pipe tig welded on; Thats It 9.90s


k8gixxxer750 is offline  
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401
Theres no need to stretch your bike.. Your riding a Little ass 600.. Theres no need to stretch 600's.. Its the most dumbest, retardest thing ive heard.

People only stretch 1000's and busas. Unless you gonna keep it for Drag strip only.. Stretch bike on the streets is dumb.. ride straight all day is so gay. And you cant turn the bike worth of crap and handling is sorry. you'll drop it when you turn it..


Good luck.

R.I.P Riski
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Racer
 
Fstgixxer1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roc, NY
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSuzuki05 View Post
Theres no need to stretch your bike.. Your riding a Little ass 600.. Theres no need to stretch 600's.. Its the most dumbest, retardest thing ive heard.

People only stretch 1000's and busas. Unless you gonna keep it for Drag strip only.. Stretch bike on the streets is dumb.. ride straight all day is so gay. And you cant turn the bike worth of crap and handling is sorry. you'll drop it when you turn it..


Good luck.
People thinking a stretched bike can't handle is a myth! My 1k 10" out can hang with anybody on the street. A track sure not a chance but as a street bike people have a hard time keeping up with me in the corners. I love proving people wrong about stretched bikes, come ride with me ill show you how shitty it handles . Ill even let you take my bike for a rip so you can see for your self.

As far as streching a 600 if that's what you like go for it everyone has different opinions about everything.

08 Busa
08 Gsxr 1000
Fstgixxer1000 is offline  
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401
Yeah, i was just giving him a second thought to think about it before making a choice to spend all that money to do something thats worthless.. But, yeah i agree, to each of their own..

You know what they say "All depends on the rider's abilities".. How good the rider is to handle there bike..

Some people cant handle there bikes worth of shit..

Good luck.

R.I.P Riski
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Rider
 
CountryMuzicZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DANGLES View Post
What do i need to know before stretching my bike???


First thing you need to do is move to Florida
Thats the truth! For every 10 bikes down here every 5 is stretched and slammed. Dont forget about the car sized tire out back.. LMFAO.. Oh yea and the stereo systems in the tails
CountryMuzicZ28 is offline  
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Novice
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 37
just get the tall ass boots and save your self the money. a guy i work with does it he only wears those boots when he rides his bike gives him the extra inch that he needs to feel comfortable.
amswrx is offline  
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Squid
 
315-K5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: syracuse N.Y.
Posts: 11
so waht did you end up doing? I ride a slammed and long gsxr 1k bc i like to race. some ppl do it bc they like the look. but if you dont care ether way i would say just lower it 4" so what if you scrape a bit you bought it to ride it not keep it in a bubble. no one will see a couple sratches on the under side of the bike any way...

I wanna go fast...... I wanna go fast...... So get a gsxR......
315-K5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome