04 1K Clutch Cush Mod How To. - GSXR.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
04 1K Clutch Cush Mod How To.

Posting this Mod in the drag race section because it is specific to the sport...

First vid is how to swap a stock clutch in case you missed it...

The second vid is how to install a Brocks Cush Mod on my 2004 Gsxr 1000....

Clutch Swap - Start to finish...

Cush Mod install starting with an empty basket... Includes cable adjustment...

Last edited by busdriver; 08-02-2011 at 07:15 PM.
busdriver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Racer
 
Cali_RSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 938
Bus,

Thanks for sharing all this cool info on K3/K4 maintenance.
Cali_RSV is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Thanks Cali, I can remember when I was lookin for info like this, took me months researching and staring at parts before I got a handle on it.

If the populus finds these vids helpful I may endeavor to cover a few more topics that I feel proficient at. If someone has a request post it up and I'll see what I can do....
busdriver is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prospect Bay,Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,190
Another great job did it help your 60ft times.?
OUTINFRONT is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTINFRONT View Post
Another great job did it help your 60ft times.?
Yes it is an improvement, broke into the 1.50s a few times with 1.60s being the norm, clutch seems to work more consistently...

I was going through spells of that buckin crap (with the stock set-up) and believe me you that has got to be hard on parts... This mod was the recommended solution from a few different sources so I tried it...

I could still ride the bike more efficiently (clutch work especially) but I lose my freakin mind once I smell smoke...

Ultimately this is a crutch to try an make a clutch do something it wasn't designed to do... There are much better options, at a price of course, but they compromise streetability and until I decide to make it track only that's what I get....
busdriver is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prospect Bay,Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
Yes it is an improvement, broke into the 1.50s a few times with 1.60s being the norm, clutch seems to work more consistently...

I was going through spells of that buckin crap (with the stock set-up) and believe me you that has got to be hard on parts... This mod was the recommended solution from a few different sources so I tried it...

I could still ride the bike more efficiently (clutch work especially) but I lose my freakin mind once I smell smoke...

Ultimately this is a crutch to try an make a clutch do something it wasn't designed to do... There are much better options, at a price of course, but they compromise streetability and until I decide to make it track only that's what I get....
You should make cd's and sell them on the web your confidence of your ability's and passion for the machine and the sport really show through in your vids.One thing I noticed was your thumb wheel seemed to be adjusted out a bit far I like mine only a few turns out and make the adjustment at the other end of cable to keep it in closer.Probably just preference but it makes it more precise as the adjuster slightly moves when turned to far out and the lever is pulled.I suppose if at the track you are wearing the clutch faster and would just keep adjusting at the wheel for convenience.
OUTINFRONT is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Thanks OIF...

You're right about the adjuster it's very close on the lower adjustment per Brocks instructions. They also want you to monitor the thumbwheel up top after every pass.

This doesn't necessarily mean you have to make an adjustment every pass, you just want to keep an eye on it....
busdriver is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Rider
 
Exit Wounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
Thanks OIF...

You're right about the adjuster it's very close on the lower adjustment per Brocks instructions. They also want you to monitor the thumbwheel up top after every pass.

This doesn't necessarily mean you have to make an adjustment every pass, you just want to keep an eye on it....
Man, I need your kinda job... lotsa spare time!



I love the smell of MR9 and burnt rubber in the morning.

K6 1000
Exit Wounds is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Wounds View Post
Man, I need your kinda job... lotsa spare time!
Lets just say it was a bit slow at work that day... .. I actually had the clutch in and out 3 times checking different stack heights and taking notes.

I had been to the track the nite before and still had my camera stuff so I shot some video and this is how it worked out....

So EW have you gotten any track time lately?....
busdriver is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Rider
 
Exit Wounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 373
Not much time to play, always racing so no quick ETs. I seem to have picked up about 2 tenths while using my race launch... so I guess I picked up a little.



I love the smell of MR9 and burnt rubber in the morning.

K6 1000
Exit Wounds is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Wounds View Post
Not much time to play, always racing so no quick ETs. I seem to have picked up about 2 tenths while using my race launch... so I guess I picked up a little.
Race Launch?.... I must have one..... What the heck is it?... I wanna pick up 2 tenths!.....
busdriver is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Rider
 
Exit Wounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 373
Well.. its a highly technical process of not leaving set on "Kill" , just kinda leaving a little harder than a stop light (ET race launch). Now set on "Kill" the bike will wheelie and shit but I tend to go a little quicker. Sooo.. leaving like I'm racing and not playing has netted about 1.5 - 2 tenth ET wise, since the winter upgrades. I have not had a chance to go out and try the Kill setting yet Trying to catch the points leader, I'm in third now. SWB is not helping my consistancy.



I love the smell of MR9 and burnt rubber in the morning.

K6 1000

Last edited by Exit Wounds; 08-12-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Exit Wounds is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Wounds View Post
Well.. its a highly technical process of not leaving set on "Kill" , just kinda leaving a little harder than a stop light (ET race launch). Now set on "Kill" the bike will wheelie and shit but I tend to go a little quicker. Sooo.. leaving like I'm racing and not playing has netted about 1.5 - 2 tenth ET wise, since the winter upgrades. I have not had a chance to go out and try the Kill setting yet Trying to catch the points leader, I'm in third now. SWB is not helping my consistancy.
Makes since but I have nooooo restraint... The smell of burning rubber set's me on kill every time...... That's why I shoot so much vid otherwise I wouldn't know what happened from the water box to the stripe.......
busdriver is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Rider
 
sweetj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 140
would this be the same way for my 06? and does it effect streetability?

There is 2 people that have given their life for you... Jesus... and the American G.I... Thank A VET!
2006 1000 a few mods
2012 Busa a few mods
sweetj is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetj View Post
would this be the same way for my 06? and does it effect streetability?
The clutch mod for an 06' is a bit different as far as the hardware that you install but the procedure will be similar.

As far as street-ability under normal riding/commuting it should be a non-issue.

If you are a twisty lover it could have some undesired effects charging into a corner as it alters the back torque limiter characteristics.

Overall I don't think you'll be disappointed as it will extend the clutch life and performance at the strip.....
busdriver is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Rider
 
sweetj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 140
ok thanks... also talkin to a few ppl i heard some say that the gsxr plate where good.. but use brocks springs..
whats ur opinion? or is it just better to order the brocks one?

There is 2 people that have given their life for you... Jesus... and the American G.I... Thank A VET!
2006 1000 a few mods
2012 Busa a few mods
sweetj is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetj View Post
ok thanks... also talkin to a few ppl i heard some say that the gsxr plate where good.. but use brocks springs..
whats ur opinion? or is it just better to order the brocks one?
Not sure what you mean by "gsxr plate" exactly?...

Personally I would just get the clutch mod as it comes with the springs and has a lifetime warranty...
busdriver is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401
Very nice video!! I love those blue/white K4 1000. ITs so sexy looking!!

R.I.P Riski

Last edited by MikeSuzuki05; 12-05-2011 at 10:20 AM.
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Rider
 
sweetj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 140
gsxr plate... mean the OEM.. factory ones.. with the brocks springs.

There is 2 people that have given their life for you... Jesus... and the American G.I... Thank A VET!
2006 1000 a few mods
2012 Busa a few mods
sweetj is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetj View Post
gsxr plate... mean the OEM.. factory ones.. with the brocks springs.
OEM fibers and steels will work fine... I use a clutch pack from Cycle Concepts called a "drag pack" and love em....
busdriver is offline  
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8
Great info and videos!
nandos_z28ss is offline  
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Rider
 
sweetj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 140
def used this video... didn't realize it was the one from youtube.. last nite was using it!! thanks bro!!

There is 2 people that have given their life for you... Jesus... and the American G.I... Thank A VET!
2006 1000 a few mods
2012 Busa a few mods
sweetj is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetj View Post
def used this video... didn't realize it was the one from youtube.. last nite was using it!! thanks bro!!
busdriver is offline  
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401
(BUSSSSSSSDRIVVVVEEEEERRRRRR)


Hey guys I am replacing my clutch plates and fiber..

The smooth side of the steel plates faces inward or outward towards you?

The clutch fiber has little numbers written on it. Do they faces inward or out towards u?

The Clutch Washer ring- the curved part faces inward or out towards you?
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...GSXR600/CLUTCH #14 is what im talking about.

All the clutch fibers goes in the same way til the last one goes in the middle of all the others? Right? This is on K5 600.. what the manual says. OR just I put the last clutch fiber like the other clutch fibers?

I hope someone understands my question.

R.I.P Riski
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSuzuki05 View Post
(BUSSSSSSSDRIVVVVEEEEERRRRRR)


Hey guys I am replacing my clutch plates and fiber..

The smooth side of the steel plates faces inward or outward towards you?

The clutch fiber has little numbers written on it. Do they faces inward or out towards u?

The Clutch Washer ring- the curved part faces inward or out towards you?
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...GSXR600/CLUTCH #14 is what im talking about.

All the clutch fibers goes in the same way til the last one goes in the middle of all the others? Right? This is on K5 600.. what the manual says. OR just I put the last clutch fiber like the other clutch fibers?

I hope someone understands my question.
Let me clarify that the clutch set-ups that I am most familiar with are the zuk liter bikes... The procedures I demonstrate in the video are specific to the 04' 1K, that doesn't mean that they don't apply to other model/years.

Basically I am saying that although the video was meant to be helpful you must reference a service manual for your specific year, make and model. The info you are looking for should be in there with pictures and specs, they are a wonderful tool.

All that being said get a service manual read up on the clutch info that is in there... Use the videos to help you understand what your looking at and you will be a better gear head for it...

Some of your questions are a bit confusing so I would be willing to hash them out over the phone if you pm your number.... Good luck...
busdriver is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
Let me clarify that the clutch set-ups that I am most familiar with are the zuk liter bikes... The procedures I demonstrate in the video are specific to the 04' 1K, that doesn't mean that they don't apply to other model/years.

Basically I am saying that although the video was meant to be helpful you must reference a service manual for your specific year, make and model. The info you are looking for should be in there with pictures and specs, they are a wonderful tool.

All that being said get a service manual read up on the clutch info that is in there... Use the videos to help you understand what your looking at and you will be a better gear head for it...

Some of your questions are a bit confusing so I would be willing to hash them out over the phone if you pm your number.... Good luck...
I got a service manual!! Ive been looking at it

The thing i dont wanna get backwards is the Clutch washer.

The one I shown in the pic in that link i provided in the first post..

I took a pic of it.. IF you take the clutch washer and put it on the table, you have the side that curves is facing up. It has a lil white marking on it.. Do i face that little white marking into the bike or have it facing towards me when i slide it on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04399.jpg (27.8 KB, 85 views)

R.I.P Riski
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401


The piece you just picked up at 30... How does that go on??

Around 3:15-3:30 Thats the piece im talking about.

the bowl faces out?

R.I.P Riski

Last edited by MikeSuzuki05; 02-08-2012 at 08:09 AM.
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Ok, Take the spring washer and lay it on a flat surface one way it will make a bowl the other way it will make a dome... If it is like the 04 1k then place it in the basket with the bottom of your imaginary bowl in toward the motor....

Start watching the video I am linking at the 14 minute mark and I go over it... I believe I reference it again later in the video... DO NOT go by the cush mod video as it is the opposite orientation...


busdriver is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
You aren't installing a clutch mod are you?.... Just freshening up the clutch right?
busdriver is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Rider
 
MikeSuzuki05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
You aren't installing a clutch mod are you?.... Just freshening up the clutch right?
Yes. no clutch mod.. just freshing up... When i lay it flat and When i put it in. I put the white marking facing inward

When i lay it like a dome the marking in on top. So I had the white marking you see in the pic going in toward the motor.

Thanks BusDriver!

I subbed u on youtube. Im Lightningmas

R.I.P Riski

Last edited by MikeSuzuki05; 02-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.
MikeSuzuki05 is offline  
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSuzuki05 View Post
Yes. no clutch mod.. just freshing up... When i lay it flat and When i put it in. I put the white marking facing inward

When i lay it like a dome the marking in on top. So I had the white marking you see in the pic going in toward the motor.

Thanks BusDriver!

I subbed u on youtube. Im Lightningmas
Cool, glad you got it handled.....
busdriver is offline  
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Rider
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 420
you said towards the end, that the basket will protrude further with the new thicker friction plates, and that you need to adjust the center thing on the other side, can you clarify what you mean?
ImStricken is offline  
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Pro Racer
 
busdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,268
I can see why that might be confusing... Good eye/ear tho...

The clutch I removed had an extra steel in it for drag racing purposes. This increased (taller) the overall height of the clutch pack so with that steel removed decreasing (shorter) the stack height it caused the lower pusher rod adjustment to be out too far... Hope that makes sense...

You should always re-adjust the pusher rod/cable assembly when you replace or even work on the clutch just to be sure it is within spec....

busdriver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome