Overheat? Empty Coolant? [Archive] - GSXR.com

: Overheat? Empty Coolant?

Vermillion
11-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey guys, I have a 99 Gsxr with an 03 750 gsxr engine in it. I just bought it, I was riding home and when i got home my temp reading was around 200 and it is only like 37 degrees out. I checked the oil, and it is full. There is a little container on the right side of the bike by the battery, it is empty. Also on the clutch side of the bike under the plastics i found another conatiner that is empy. Now I am guessing these are coolant tanks...But I don't know what kind of coolant these things take. Also the bike will not start, it just says Check where the temp usually is. Please help a squid out guys!!!:headscrat

RedandBLack
11-05-2006, 08:42 AM
all i can tell you is that 200 is probably a normal temp, even if it was 37 degrees out, depending on how fast you were riding. Thats all i got for ya, sorry i know im not verry helpful

Vermillion
11-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Also, when the key is turned on the little oil light is on, I there is oil in the bike but at what angle is that supposed to be read at? on the kick stand of straight up? Looks like there is pleanty of oil in the bike. It wont even turn over now. When i turn the bike on and in run position nothing but the lights come on. I don't understand. I just as i was putting my bike in neutral to dismount it just cut off. Then the Chec display came on. Please help me out this is my only means of transportation!

RedandBLack
11-05-2006, 09:13 AM
check the oil when the bike is straight up, not on the stand. When you turn the key on, does the fuel pump prime, or any of that stuff?

Vermillion
11-05-2006, 09:25 AM
The oil is full when the bike is straight up, When on the stand it (in grass) there is no oil visible. The fuel pump doesn't prime or anything with the key on... I have some 10w 30 and come antifreeze but i dont know how much to put in it. Also I am not even sure if the empty tank on the gear shift side of the bike is a coolant antifreeze tank...

RedandBLack
11-05-2006, 09:29 AM
not to sound like an dumbass, but are you sure you didnt bump the engine cutoff switch,

Vermillion
11-05-2006, 09:30 AM
yes im sure...This is so wierd..

Batman
11-05-2006, 11:26 AM
First things first....

The bike running at 200 degrees in 37 degree ambient temps is high. It should maintain about 180ish in 6th at highway speeds in those temps. I would definately add coolant. You need to add a premix and should use a coolant that is recommended for the bike. The bikes cooling system and engine is almost entirely made up of aluminum, so get something like Dexcool or Suzuki premix and add it into the coolant resevoir till it reaches the full mark. You might need to add even more after you run the bike a few minutes , as the engines cooling system will slowly displace the air in the system and will draw coolant from the resevoir to maintain a air-free cooling system.

The "other" tank? :headscrat Not sure...My bikes only have one resevoir. The tank for engine coolant is on the right side of the bike, how you would see it as if you were sitting on the bike.

The "OIL" light and "COOLANT/TEMP" lights WILL be on when the key is on and the engine NOT running. This is to verify that the warning lights/system are functional. They should turn off when the engine is started and then only come on in the event that there is a problem. The oil light is not there to warn of oil level, but instead warns of LOW OIL PRESSURE. Likewise, the TEMP light is there to warn of excessive temps, not low coolant levels.

Neither of these situations will prevent the bike from starting.

The oil level will not be visible in the sight window with the bike on the side stand. The window should be about 60-70% covered with oil when the bike is perfectly level front/back and side/side. It should also be clean...a lightish/mediumdarkish brown color. If it is tan, or milky looking , you have coolant in the oil and have issues ($$$).
\
As far as the bike not starting? This could be several things...

1st. Is the side stand safety switch working properly?
2nd. Is the bike in gear? if so, the side stand must be in riding position and the clutch must be ingaged.
3rd. Is the battery fully charged?

Remember, the engines fuel pump will not even prime if the bike is in gear, and the sidestand is down.

Check all of these!!!

Vermillion
11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Thank you a ton, I was freaking out, turns out i never put the kickstand fully up to press the safty switch. The thing is the bike is still running hot. Not bad while riding but when stopped it can reach 200-215 quite fast. I know this is not right. I noticed my fan doesn't come on anymore, could that make that much of a difference? What are some other things I can check/ or do to get my temp down?:bowdown: You guys are very very helpful thx in advance.

ZZGIXXER
11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Thank you a ton, I was freaking out, turns out i never put the kickstand fully up to press the safty switch. The thing is the bike is still running hot. Not bad while riding but when stopped it can reach 200-215 quite fast. I know this is not right. I noticed my fan doesn't come on anymore, could that make that much of a difference? What are some other things I can check/ or do to get my temp down?:bowdown: You guys are very very helpful thx in advance.

if your fan is not running if temperature reaches 220...check your fuses. also if your bike is still running 200 deg...while riding in low temps (30-45 deg)..then you have to check your coolant. what i would do...inspect your radiator, take the fairings off drain all your coolant and pour some new one. then try again.

if temperature outside is between 30-60 degrees....your bike should be running less than 180 degrees hot.:hmmm:

ZZGIXXER
11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey guys, I have a 99 Gsxr with an 03 750 gsxr engine in it. I just bought it, I was riding home and when i got home my temp reading was around 200 and it is only like 37 degrees out. I checked the oil, and it is full. There is a little container on the right side of the bike by the battery, it is empty. Also on the clutch side of the bike under the plastics i found another conatiner that is empy. Now I am guessing these are coolant tanks...But I don't know what kind of coolant these things take. Also the bike will not start, it just says Check where the temp usually is. Please help a squid out guys!!!:headscrat

this does not sound right......you may want to take a pic of the bike and post it to take a look at it. what gear were you riding your bike home.??:hmmm: ....is this your first bike?

Vermillion
11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
ok, I will take some pics when i find my digital camera. The bike is a 99 600 with a 03 750 gsxr swap. So things will most likely be in different places than say a actual 03 gsxr. I will take some pictures. Until then I guess i need to check to make sure coolant is flowing well through the radiator by taking the cap off while cold and firing her up. Isn't a blown head gasket my oil isn't milky. So I am guessing it is either the waterpump, or the thermostat. The bike has never gotten over 215, so i guess that explains why the fan has never kicked in. So I guess i will do a coolant flush asap and see what it does. Feedback or suggestions are deff welcomed.:thumbup:

kb1982
11-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I have a 04 1k that tends to run hotter with cooler air temps. When its 55 degrees out , the temp usually reads around 190@ 75 mph. In the summer in 90 degree weather, it runs around 176@75mph. My theory behind this is because cool air is denser; therefore leaning out the fuel mixture a little. I dont hear any detonation ping, so I dont worry about it to much.If your bike has carbs,you may need to fatten the fuel mixture a little.