cutting my exhaust? [Archive] - GSXR.com

: cutting my exhaust?

chulchang
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I was thinking about cutting my trs bolt on to make it some what like the shorty exhaust. my question is would i lose power or do any engine damage? Thank You

gOrloK
12-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Im not sure about cuting the bolt.....

but if your going to do any choping allow me to make one humble suggestion.... buy a stock exhaust from someone on this forum or craigs list ect. do you frankenstien experiments on that then fit it to your bike.

why not just buy a shorty pipe. can find em ebay cregs list used :hmmm:

chulchang
12-04-2008, 05:50 PM
the exhaust is trs bolt on.. and i dont have the money to buy the shorty exhaust haha well i was wondering would there be decline performance wise

elitopus
12-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Are you talking about hacking off the muffler? It would be loud and might or might not lose power but it will NOT hurt the motor. Im assuming you have a pre k6 bike that doesnt have a shorty muffler stock?

chulchang
12-04-2008, 06:06 PM
i got k5 gsxr 600... man one dude told me that i will lose power because of not enough back pressure.. i just want to kno before i hack off a chunk of the exhaust

elitopus
12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
You might lose some low end power and you might need to get it tuned but you wont hurt the engine by running a shorter exhaust. I agree with gorlok about having an extra exhaust to experiment with

gOrloK
12-04-2008, 06:20 PM
the exhaust is trs bolt on.. and i dont have the money to buy the shorty exhaust haha well i was wondering would there be decline performance wise

Oh, I get it...

If you have the stock cat (if your bike had one.. I forgot the year.) and your pipe fits to that and you cut the mufler off your slip on it will be loud but not retarded.

If the slip on bolts strait to your headers and you hack off the muffler it will be moto gp loud like 130db. you will never be able to ride it on the street and not most tracks.

Either way you will probly not gain or lose any noticeable power and you will definately not hurt your motor but mainly it will effect volume and quality of sound.

If you have ever run your bike without a pipe it makes a rude ear bleeding, eye poping, enviromentalist killing, sound. Birds litterly fall out of the sky from heart failer and feer and old wemon have anurizms! :lol:

by the way how rad is my spelling skills:laughingr

1BadTitan
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I had a TRS and RS-3 yoshi's on my old 05 600 and when they were cut (both of them got chopped) they sounded better... Much better, and a little louder. Nothing like open header. i just hacked my micron on my 05 750. Sounds amazing. I only cut 4-6" off of all of them, only because I like to keep the nameplate and dont want it to be too loud. You alos have to repack the muffler. You will have about 5 layers of steel wool wrapped around the resonator. Take it all off and rewrap it with 1-2 layers. Also throw out the fiberglass packing and get a MX style packing for 4 stroke. Its all pre-packed in a mat that is just wrapped around the resonator 1 time and the rest cut off. Trust me, I've cut many many pipes down for mine and my buddies bikes. If you cut too much or dont pack it back up, it will sound like shit. Plan it out and do it right.

tdubdw750
12-05-2008, 06:42 AM
cut that shit for sure!! looks good and sounds really good too. i don't know what theyre talking about it being deathly loud and shit....You just have to buy a baffle kit for like 15 bucks and you won't loose the back pressure. Here is what mine looks like!

http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk352/tdubdw/mybike2-2.jpg

dondebilo
12-05-2008, 07:44 AM
yeh cut that sucker i cut down a d and d carbon on my old r1. loud as f**k sounded the business .it does not effect performance.

chulchang
12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
yup just cut that bitch down it sounds BEAST is it a proble if i shoved the old baffle in there?

tdubdw750
12-06-2008, 09:08 AM
yup just cut that bitch down it sounds BEAST is it a proble if i shoved the old baffle in there?

I don't see that it would be a problem. If its baffled that you won't loose the back pressure. I just bought a new baffle kit for mine for $15 from the shop and did it that way.

chulchang
12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Here is the pic looks very sharp too!!!