Squeak from front wheel [Archive] - GSXR.com

: Squeak from front wheel

Shoua
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
There is a squeak from my front wheel when moving very slowly. It's not bad, but I'm getting annoyed. Where exactly do I lube the wheel to stop the squeak?

K7-1000
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Chamfer (angle), the edges of the brake pads slightly

K7

SP GSX-R
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
There is a squeak from my front wheel when moving very slowly. It's not bad, but I'm getting annoyed. Where exactly do I lube the wheel to stop the squeak?

i get that too. when i brake down to about 5mph

Shoua
03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
No, it doesn't squeak because of the brakes. This is just when I'm backing up using my legs, with NO BRAKE pressure. It's coming from the front wheel, but not the brakes.

PacificGSXR1000
03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
No, it doesn't squeak because of the brakes. This is just when I'm backing up using my legs, with NO BRAKE pressure. It's coming from the front wheel, but not the brakes.
You might as well angle cut the sides of the pads when you take your front wheel off to lube the front axle like you figure it is.

Oh yah the floating discs might be squeking. If your pads haven't worn evenliy the discs have to do their float back and forth while the wheel rolls. Kind of pulsing braking will sometimes let you know you have uneven pads. Try holding a front disc one at a time in different areas and trying to move them around to see if you hear squeking. That or try a little silicone lube that wont get slung onto the discs while at speed. Do what ever it takes to be happy.

Another note is pads can squek when the brakes aren't applied.

bustanut
03-02-2009, 08:20 AM
most likely brake dust, or dry wheel seal, clean the grooves in your pads and check to see if they are glazed.
:thumbup:

Motophoria
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Remove the brake pads and LIGHTLY lube the back of the pads/springs. Clean and lube the brake pad pins before reassembly.

DOBERDEWD
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Well it sounds like everyone pretty much has it covered .... The only other thing that I can think of is that you may have a slightly warped rotor but if you did, you would feel the pulsation when your braking as well ... But just for the hell of it, if you have exhausted all of the other suggestions, I would put a dial indicator on your ft rotors and check for runout or warpage .... I guess I'm just grasping at straws here but I was thinking about it so I wanted to share that tidbit of info ...:infrandom
The
Doberdewd

MR DANGLES
03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Mine does it too I have chalked it up to floating rotors

gixxerfool
03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Its the pads. My rear has done it since day 1. Chamfer the fronts and spread some of that gold paste shit on the backing plate of the pad NOT the friction surface.

Shoua
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

There is NO pulsation whatsoever. It brakes just fine.

I figured it might be somewhere from the front axle, and/or bearings, but cannot find a spot on the front axle where it would squeak. My k7 600 never did it, and this just came up about a month ago. It's just buggging me a little. If it is the brakes, then I'll just live with it.

KippKyEva
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
I have the same issue, just hadn't gotten around to asking about it yet. Thanks for the info!

ITzAn808
03-03-2009, 10:50 PM
i have a similar squeak

PacificGSXR1000
03-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Good excuse for new wheels and everything else.
Replace everything :thumbup:

PushHands
03-05-2009, 04:40 AM
Good excuse for new wheels and everything else.
Replace everything :thumbup:

Put new Marchesinis with full floating rotors and brembo calipers and you'll probably still have some squeaking :D

Clarksroom
03-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Just my 2 cents here but I had that problem on my 1000 when I first picked it up, bought it used and it was very annoying. I took the front apart 4 times, fixing break pads, cleaning everything, pulled out the dust cover/seals on front and claened them and put a little lube on them...still the squeak. I was putting new tires on it so I went ahead and installed new bearings and the squeak went away. The inside of the oem bearing was actually starting to come apart. Looked like just a bad piece. Not trying to scare anyone or anything but something you might think about if it gets worse or you can't fix the problem with previous info in the thread. All I did was replace the bearings, used the same dust seals but the noise was gone and 5500K miles later no noise. Just an FYI as to another option on where the noise is coming from. Good luck!! Keep us informed as to what fixes the problem if you find out.

Mister Tee
03-05-2009, 09:24 AM
It it were actually the wheel bearings squeaking, they would have seized up shortly after you started hearing it.