Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

battery recharge

20K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LeDucRacing 
#1 ·
I think my battery is dead, because I tried to turn my bike on and all I hear is like a clicking under the seat. At first it tried to start and then nothing on the next try. Are motorcycle batteries like car batteries in that I can take it to Autozone and get it recharged? Please let me know because I need to take this bike to the shop and it can't move right now.

#2 ·
okay here is how you get it started.

You must do this as it is written:

okay

1) put the bike in netural
2)get someone to push you as you are on the bike. You need to pushed enough that you can coast yourself.
3)get ready (after the person lets you go) to pull in the clutch, put in first, push the start button then pull throttle ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!

The speed will jump start the bike, just be ready for it to take off and get ready to brake. Drive over to the bike shop and buy a Battery charger its only like maybe $60. If you jump it by car or higher AMP charger like the one you said, It will either mess up your battery or your bike electronics.

#7 ·
There is something I don't understand in there in your number 3)....

If you pull in the clutch, how can the speed jump start the bike since the rear wheel is not engaged to the engine ???:headscrat

And if you let go of the clutch and you're in gear, the starter won't operate ...:headscrat

I always wondered about jumpstarting a FI bike...

Jump starting Carburated bikes: put it in 2nd gear, turn ignition on, pull the clutch in, push the bike, dump the clutch, the bike starts....

Would that procedure work on a FI bike which needs to pressurize the fuel system/injectors ???:headscrat

#3 ·

what kind of recharger is good? I have a yuasa (sp.?) battery if that matters and where could I get this. Sorry for the questions but I am new to this bike thing and always ask questions so I can learn the ins and outs the first time around. thanx

#5 ·

:headshake if you don't mind one more question. Could you tell me what the heck fairing stays are and where could I look if I need them or not. I bought this bike from some guy who I think got me alittle and I am gradually finding more and more wrong with this bike and its starting to get super frustrating. I am going to need a shit load of stuff done to it and now it's getting scary money wise and labor cost wise.

#10 ·
2nd is easier, you dont have to push it as hard---and dont worry about hitting the start button---that wont help you---it dosent matter---you could allways drive your bike around a couple miles to recharge the battery by it self, so then there would be no reason to go buy a charger---

also you can use a car battery or charger to jump your bike, it will not hurt anything at all, due to your bike runs off a 12v system-just dont keep the charger on the bike for to long because it will back feed into your alternator and cause it to not charge your battery.

your bike might have such a bad battery that after removing the cables from either a charger or a jump from another battery it will cause the bike to die and not stay running-if this is the case you have a bad battery.

the longest i would keep a charger, or jumper cables on would be about 2 minutes---to try to help charge that battery!!

#17 ·
Batteries store electrical energy. Some, like conventional flashlight batteries, are used then thrown away. Others are rechargeable. On the island, we had a car battery which was used to power various pieces of Rough Science apparatus but over time the battery became discharged. We were given the challenge of recharging it.
How does a battery work?

Every atom consists of a positively charged nucleus called a proton surrounded by a number of smaller, negatively charged particles called electrons. If atoms lose or gain electrons, they are left with a positive or negative charge and they are then called ions. In an electrically conducting solid such as a wire, some of the negatively charged electrons are able to move around fairly freely around the fixed array of positively charged protons. Although these 'free' electrons can move, there is a force which keeps the electrons — and so the charge — evenly spread along the length of the wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.