Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1991 GSXR Katana 750 Pros/Cons

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mstephenson51 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the motorcycle community and am looking into my first purchase.

I'm buying a bike to beat the traffic. I hate rotting on the California freeways, and the traffic on the SR91 has become unbearable.

A co-worker of mine is selling a 1991 GSXR Katana 750. It is a low mileage bike with 14,000 miles on it. He's gone through it, replaced the sprocket, chain, put steel braided brake lines on it, rebuilt the carburetors, upgraded to a Busa spring (I think, or shock).

Could you guys and gals give me some in put on this bike. Is it a good buy as a first bike? Were there any known issues with it?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

#3 ·
A Katana really isn't a bad choice. It's comfy for either one, or two-up riding and you can get some nice hard bags for them - handy for commuting and carrying things.

It's basically an older generation air-cooled, carbed gsxr engine in a longer frame. It doesn't have quite the handling of a full blown sport bike, but it handles much better than a lot of the commuter-cruiser alternatives, and gets better mileage.

As far as a first bike, it is a 750 class bike, and it is a bit heavy, so it may be a little bit intimidating, but it's not overpowering either. Definitely get some form of riding instruction and experience first. One of my boyz (with a "z") got one as a first bike, and it worked out well for him.

#5 ·
thats not a bad price. the tuna's a great bike to start on. its forgiving, even the 750. as was mentioned, take the msf class. you can get years of service from that bike, or sell it in a year or two for exactly what you paid. great first choice. :thumbup:

#9 ·
I can't tell you for sure. The guy I'm buying it from has 20+ years experience with bikes and he even used to race them. I know he went all the way through the bike Christmas 2006.

He seems like a pretty honest guy, and cares about what kind of bike I'm going to purchase whether its his or not. He used to drive the same freeways I am currently taking, and I know he can sympathize with my situation. I think he lowered the price because he feels my pain.

When I ride it, what should I be looking for? I'm not very familiar with the layout of motorcycle engines. To be honest I'm not particularly skeptical about the bike, as he offered to check out any bike I'm considering buying if I need the help.

#12 ·
I had a '98 750 for my first bike, its a good bike, you'll like it! Def take the MSF class, its fun and VERY important. You even get an ins discount for it.

Mine got pretty hot in traffic, but just keep it movin and you're fine. In CA you can lanesplit, I think, just do it safely, and dont go more than 10mph over the traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.