Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

rad_rob's build thread.

115K views 368 replies 62 participants last post by  Gsxr1000#116 
#1 ·
So as some of you know, I am new to this forum. I just signed up tonight, but wanted to share my build with you guys. I know there are a lot of people that aren't streetfighter fans, but build threads are always fun to watch. Anyways, I started a build thread on another forum, so some of these first couple of posts are a few weeks old.

So about my bike/project. About a year ago, I came across a deal that was literally impossible for me to pass up. I had a friend tell me about a customer who came into his work who spotted my buddys bike and they got to talking. He told my buddy about a bike that was just sitting in his garage he was looking to sell that his buddy had crashed.

Fast forward to that night, and we both head over to check out the bike. The guy tells me how his buddy tried learning how to ride on it, and rode it into the back of a truck. He made it sound like it was almost totaled. A little hesitant, I tell him we want to check it out anyways, so he opens the garage. I find a 2007 GSXR 750, in almost brand new condition. The front fairings had some damage, and the headlight was broken, and was missing a mirror, but other than that, this bike was MINT mechanically. I plug the gauges in and turn the key to see that the bike only had a little over 3k on the odometer. I ask him how much he wants for it, and he tells me $1000 cash, and he has the CLEAN title in his office. So I get the money, he hands me the title, and I take the bike home.

The battery was shot since the bike was sitting in his garage for almost 4 years untouched. I replace the battery, fluids, plugs and filter, and she fires right up! I popped off the tail cover, to find out the bike has a power commander already installed. Not to mention the bike already came with a Two Bros. carbon exhaust as well. Talk about the deal of a lifetime. Anyways, look forward to shooting the shit with some of you guys, and learning along the way. This will be my first "build" so I'm sure Ill be needing plenty of help along the way!

Here are a couple random shots of the bike on the day I brought it home. My nephew is getting an early start.

Here are a couple shots from when I tore it down to do some maintenance before firing it up. It is still super dirty here. You can also see my previous project car in the background. That was where all my time/money went.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only things that I have done to it are that I flipped the clip-ons upside down to give it more of a fighter stance. I also installed the bar end mirrors so I can see behind me.

Here is a shot of the only remaining damage from the previous owner.

That is going to be replaced with this:

I wanted to run a headlight that I could tuck up nice and close to the forks. I spent literally months trying to decide on just the right light for the project. I finally decided on the MT-03 light and ordered this:

The only thing I am not a big fan of is the mounts that are supplied with it. Being that I am a CNC Programmer/Machinist, I will most likely be making my own mounts from scratch. I'll be needing to make a gauge mount as well.

The next part on order is a GPR steering stabilizer. The headlight will not work with the stock stabilizer if I want to tuck the headlight tight against the forks.

As for the colors, this should give you a good hint:

I am going for a fighter/superbike look, so I figured SuperFighter would be a good name for this project. I want something mean looking, and can tear it up on the track at the same time. I ride this bike a lot, so the build may be at a fairly slow pace, so hang in there! Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read through this, and look forward to my parts coming in!

#3 ·
So after a long wait, my headlight finally came in. SO pumped! I decided to not waste any time and started to install it. The brackets that were supplied with it are a little too tight to the frame. I already programmed some new ones and will be machining them out on Monday morning. Once I do that, I should be able to permanently install the headlight. Then I need to pick up another HID kit, and make some brackets for my gauge cluster. The bike will probably be down for about a week or so, but it'll be worth it. Now it actually looks like its supposed to be like this, instead of looking like crap. haha

#4 ·
I got the brackets made today. I'll find out tonight if they actually work or not, but I had to redesign them earlier, so they already look different. Anyways, I know some guys like seeing stuff when its being made, so I took some photos of the process while I was making them today.

So here is how it starts. I clamped my material to a fixture plate that I made so I could drill the holes.

Once the holes are drilled, I then placed 1/4-20 bolts through it and bolted it down to my fixture plate and removed the clamp, that way the part can actually be machined.

Here it is after the first tool did the outer contour.

Once that was done, then the pockets are machined in.

Then for cosmetic purposes, I chamfered all the edges.

Here is the original design after it came off the machine.

I quickly found out that this design wasn't going to work, due to an error on my measurements with my calipers. haha. I put it up on the optical CMM and double checked the measurements. I decided to add a slot to allow me to adjust the angle of the beam. Once I had my new design, I just had to machine them. Here is the new design, still pretty similar.

Here they are after I media blasted them.

Now I am making some small shims and I will install it tonight. I have my fingers crossed.

#5 ·
Just got home from work. Got the new HID kit wired in, as well as my LED running light. It was all a success. The bracket clears my steering stabilizer perfectly, so I wont need a new one. Here is a quick shot I snapped tonight.

Now that this is out of the way, the gauges are next. Once that is done, its on to the tail, and I have something way rad in store for that. Stay tuned!

#6 ·
Well, I decided this morning to just redesign the brackets again. The last brackets ended up aiming the headlight way too high due to the rake of the front end. Just a minor change, but enough of a change that I had to make some new ones. I ended up moving the slot further back and I also made it a little bit longer to give me a little more adjustment if needed. Now it should be in the right spot.

Here is a pic of them. I still need to deburr them and media blast them.

#7 ·
Here is a shot I took with the new brackets installed. I also cut the spaghetti of a wiring harness and wired up everything needed for the headlight. I left some wires long until I have a chance to wire up the new gauges. For now, it at least cleans things up a lot.

For right now, the build may slow down a little bit. The tail section is being ordered, but is coming from Spain, so I wont even be seeing it for a few weeks. Hopefully the gauges will come in before then so I can get them wrapped up.

This obviously is not my bike, but the tail that is being ordered. I ordered it in carbon fiber. As for the subframe, you'll just have to wait to see it. Its going to be amazing.As for the tail, here is a teaser shot:

#8 ·
Alright, so a little update. I know the progress has been a little slow, and it just got even slower. Today I got a call about the tail I ordered. The company the tail is being ordered from is located in Spain. Well, they go on vacation starting Monday, and don't come back until September 7th. That, mixed with the fact that they are building my tail from scratch, as its not an on the shelf item, means I probably won't be seeing the tail until at least the end of September, or early October. Kind of a bummer, but its just how things go, and Im not mad at anyone for any reason. On a lighter note, the company who I am dealing with is called Arete Moto. The guy who has been helping me out I believe who also owns the place, is named Bryan. Hands down the best customer service I have ever had when ordering parts. He has gone above and beyond on keeping in touch with me with the progress of the order, and going out of his way to get me measurements and any other info I have needed. I would HIGHLY recommend him and his company. It looks like I will also be ordering their custom subframe, and modifying it to fit onto my bike, so that will take a bunch of headache out of it. The subframe is under 2 lbs. also, so thats a definite plus! This tail section is definitely going to be worth the wait!

In even lighter news, I got my first donated piece to the build. Its an Ohlins steering damper that was given to my by one of my buddys. BIG thanks to him!

I got it mounted up yesterday and this thing is awesome!

#9 ·
Alright, sorry if the posts are a little out of sorts. That gets you guys up to speed on where I'm at. I ended up scoring a GPR stabilizer that I will be picking up on Friday, so once that is installed, I will be redoing the headlight brackets one last time. Since the Ohlins stabilizer will be out of the way, I will be able to drop the headlight down a little bit, and tuck it up against the forks a little bit tighter.

Still waiting on the tail, but have come up with a subframe that will be ordered most likely on Friday. The subframe is being made to work with my new tail, but is not made for my frame, so there will be some work that I will need to do, but shouldn't be too bad. Once I get the subframe in, I can start relocating everything that is currently in the stock tail, as well as find a smaller battery that will fit in the new tail.

I have also finally tracked down some gauges that I like, so I will be ordering those up soon.

So that's where I'm at right now, stay tuned for more updates hopefully sooner rather than later. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Thanks! Yeah I wanted something really small, but I didn't want a bobber look to it. I wanted something that looks aggressive still. It definitely wasn't cheap, but it will definitely be one of a kind. I paid for it about a month ago now, and probably wont see it for another month or so, so you can imagine how anxious I am getting. haha

#16 ·
Never been a fan of the street fighters but you have some cool ideas going here. I love the headlight. Subscribing now.

#18 ·
Very nice work. I play with the waterjet here at my work and have made a couple pieces for the bike on the CNCs including sliders and adjustable rearset plates.

#23 ·
Alright, so this weekend I ordered a LOT of parts. I ordered a new billet upper triple to replace the broken one. I also found a guy to sell me just ignition switch by itself so I can take the cap off of it, and replace mine since its broken. This way I can still use my same keys. Next, I ordered a set of JPR levers. I also ordered up my gauges. I went with the Koso DB-01R, so I am super excited about getting that in. I also ordered some smaller pieces. Got some LED front turn signals on the way. I was also needing some new tires, and Cycle Gear had the Bridgestone BT-016 on sale for $199 for the pair. These are the only tires I have ever run and I absolutely love them. That, and considering I was basically getting a front tire for $25, it was perfect timing. So with these parts, a lot of the little odds and ends that were bugging me about the bike will be taken care of. I am still waiting for word on the tail section, but since I was told the company wouldn't be back to work until the 7th, this is no big deal. I'm going to wait until I get all these parts in and then have one big install day. I will of course post photos as the parts arrive and get installed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.