Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

High mileage GSXR?

38K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  hayabusaallineed 
#1 ·
Hi, new member here. Thinking about picking up a VERY high mileage gsxr 750. (27,000) Alot of highway miles from an older guy. Wondering how much life is left in this motor? According to him, never beat the bike up, and always had the maintance done on time. Also what sort of price range should this bike be in? I don't wanna beat the guy up too bad, but I have been scared away from high mileage bikes by friends. :headscrat

#4 ·
Helpful post.

But it should be good as long as he was responsible with the maintenance. All engines that are built well, which are most of the big 4 bike companys, will run for a very long time just like a car will as long as the maintenance has been done well.

I had my first moped I bought with 20k miles on it, and got another 50k miles out of it with no problems until I sold it to get some money to pay for bills that suddenly came up.

#6 ·
Maintaince is far more important that milage. I know a few folks who use sportbikes are touring bikes and reach 100,000 miles and keep going. Oil changes every 4-5K and stick to the service manual for valve adjustments, filter changes etc. Hear a funny noise? go get it looked at and corrected. You may be able to get a good deal on a bike with more miles on it, as long as it's well maintained

#7 ·
The bike is a 2003, Seems VERY well maintained. Has some minor aftermarket mods, Mainly cosmetic, and a yoshi pipe. Didn't hear any noises that seemed abnornal to me, I'll check some of the things that have been suggested. I was told to listen for valve train noise, and stator noise. Didn't see any visible oil leaks, sprockets didn't seem over worn. Like I said according to the owner they had kept up on the service. They we're forward with letting know it would need rear brake pads in the near future.

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I will pick this thing up.:thumbup:

#8 ·
ask how many clutches he went through or may be original or just recently replaced. A not perfect but good idea of how hard he rode it. Allso 27,000 allthough most out there think is too hight it don mean shit if properly cared for. Last year I sold my old 02 zx7ninja with 31,000 and it ran as good the day I sold her as it did the day it left the show room. In fact the guy who bought it wanted it for track days and he emailed me couple times later on just to say how strong and solid the bike performed so don be fooled by hi mileage. And vis-versa low mileage dont mean bike is good. anyway i had sold that bike for 4,100 so i would say that may be agood guage for a similar situation being it is 07 and the bike is 03 with 27k on it. In fact if your confident this guy was responsible and honest about the bike then it may be a better buy than a lower mileage bike while you may have doubts about it being abused and not responsibly cared for. Just my.02 and GOOD LUCK

#9 ·
my 05 had the 600 motor in for over 30,000 miles. i broke a camshaft journal when i was putting the valve cover on, unfortunately they only sell it as a whole head for $800 (couldnt find any on ebay) so i just sprung for a 750 motor. i had 5 trackdays and about 20 dragstrip passes on it. i was still on the stock clutch.

#10 ·
Is he the only rider? He's and older guy but yet he could have 2 sons that road the piss out of it. I would be hesitant at buying a hyperbike with that many miles unless the price was just to good to refuse, going to make it a track or stunter, or a secondary bike.

My old man used to always tell me when buying used. "You want to make sure you dont buy someone else's problem's.

I personally would look at something with lower miles, those bikes are made to run fast, everything is built for high performance and maintanance is a must.

Anyways good luck

#11 ·
27k is not high mileage... esp if maintained properly... the bike is a 03? thats basicly 4 seasons old now and that works out to under 7k per year.. which is nothing... ive seen these bikes go for 2-3 times that mileage with out any issues.. the acually cond of the bike is far more important what the numbers on the odo say...

#13 ·
i have 2003 1000 and i have a lil over 20 k on it. i beat on it and what not, and it runs perfect. if he kept up on the maintenance and has records to show, then its fine and the motor is going to last a long time

#15 ·
my 02 600 went downhill after hitting over 30,000. Well its still going downhill, just not down and out yet, just slowly going downhill. She's on her way to 40,000 and will prob die at 50,000 is my guess. Which will be hard now cause I no longer have to commute to work.

But your talking about a bike that gets ridden every single day and has gone through every condition.

#16 ·
Go for it!!!

I have an 01 750 with the original clutch and I just replaced the original chain and sprockets at 27/k+miles. I still could have gotten another 5/k on the original chain & sprockets, but I wanted to replace them while I had the money. I clean and lube the chain every 3 weeks and change the oil every 3k with a full syn. So if that 750 is clean and well mantained, you will have a good buy on your hands. She will need a valve job/check at 30/k. They should be checked every 15/k. You are gonna love the mid range of that 750. The 00-03 are the same just different color combos. They are a blast to ride and the performance is crazy. Mines runs just like it did when I first got it and I have over 28/k now.:thumbup:

#21 ·
haha duuude. I wouldnt even flinch at 27000. My 07 1000 has almost 12k( 7500 miles) on it. Do i think it is getting up there in mileage...not a chance. My other bike has 115 000km on it and still runs just perfect. Regular maint and tune ups and there is no reason why a 27000 mile bike cant run just fine for that many more miles.

If the price is right...go for it dude

#22 · (Edited)
High mileage! Oh give me a freakin' break!

Depending on how it was maintained and ridden, these engines will last anywhere between about 2,000 and 100,000 miles. If it made it to 27,000 miles and it doesn't blow smoke on startup, it will probably go past 100,000 miles.

My 750 just passed the 40,000 mile mark, and it runs absolutely perfectly. No loss in power, no smoke, gas mileage never went down. In fact, it runs no differently than it did when it was new. The fact of the matter is, a properly maintained engine with 27,000 miles is probably better than some thrashed 5,000 mile engine that's been run in to the ground, and redlined before its warmed up.

EDIT: Holy crap! I just responded to a really old post without realizing it. I already replied. The Tee's losing it.

#23 ·
Dude,

My '06 has 41,700 miles on it so far and it runs as good today as it did the day I bought it. It goes in for regular maintenance and has a 4 year extended warranty plan with it. I have replaced 1 chain at 21,000, front brake pads at 32,000 and the fuel pump just went out on it in Sept. at 39,800 miles.

It helps to live in AZ where you can ride all year long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.