Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Salvage titled bike inspection in NYC???

11K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  blacknight 
#1 ·
Anybody ever try to title an out of state salvage title bike in NYC, i know i have to fill out some forms from DMV and send them to albany, and they will schedule a date for inspection. Anyone here done this before, anything I should know, anyone want to share their experiences? What does the inspection entail, waiting periods etc...

#3 · (Edited)
I'm in Jersey and I purchased a salvaged bike.
The bike was crashed and totaled in Maryland,
Someone bought it and fixed it up and registered it in NY
I purchased it in 9/2008. But before I did, I gave the guy 1/2 of the money and bought it home for friend (bike mechanic) to look at it.
He pulled the bike apart and all was fine
Here it is 2 years later and no problems.
Just basic maintaince
tires
chain
brake pads
etc

Just remember it's much easier to total a bike than it is to total a car.
Bike parts are pretty expensive when compared to purchasing a new bike.

#4 ·
Thanx guys

The guy i bought it from put a 750 engine in it, its not stolen or anything but he doesnt have any paperwork on it. So i was more interested in knowing if I absolutely needed the paperwork for this, are the inspectors anal about stuff like that, and what other stipulations are involved in the actual inspection.

The frame, engine and tranny are fine. Just need to know what to expect trying to title a PA salvage bike in NYC.

#5 ·
Well, my motto is:

If they dont notice it, don't bring it up

But here's my question/concern

Were you the one who fixed up the bike or someone esle?

Also, did you purchase the bike from someone after it was fixed?

I ask because whoever fixed up the bike has to go through a lot of hoops to get it registered. They have to show parts/labor receipts for teh work that was done from a certifiied mechanic and not some joe schmo who knows about bikes

#6 ·
Just because a vehicle is salvaged, does NOT necessarily mean it's crapped on and it's a piece of junk.
It just means someone took the time, money and effort to repair the bike
in order to get a salvaged vehicle registered (to be driven on public roads) means that person has to do extensive repairs and hold onto receipts of the repairs done and provide them to a specific DMV for a special overall & detailed inspection of the vehicle.
Only after the vehicle has passed that inspection will it receive a salvage title and be allowed to be driven on a public road

Here's teh form and proceedure that person must go through.

clicky

clicky II

This is taken from the NJ website

Avehicle might be declared salvage when an owner or insurer determines that it will cost more to fix it after a collision than the vehicle is worth. A salvage title will be issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, after which the vehicle can't be registered.

If you repair a salvage vehicle and want to put it back on the road, the state will first conduct a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection to make sure none of the component parts (or the car itself) were stolen.

Repairing and retitling a salvage vehicle can be difficult, with a lot of paperwork involved, so be sure to keep all documents showing where you bought the parts you used to resuscitate the vehicle. Also take "before" photos as soon as you come into possession of the vehicle; you'll need them later when you have the repaired car inspected.

How to Bring a Vehicle Out of Salvage
After a salvage title is issued, four photographs of the salvaged vehicle should be taken. To be acceptable, they must include:

Two photos of the entire front and left side of the vehicle (one before and one after repairs). Two photos of the entire rear and right side of the vehicle (one before and one after repairs).If repairs were begun before any pictures could be taken, a damage report from your insurance company may be substituted for the two "before" photos.
You will also need a bill of sale for every major component part used in the reconstruction, rebuilding, or repair of the salvaged vehicle. The bill of sale should include the name and address of the buyer, the name and address of the seller, and the date and purchase price of each part. Include a description and the part number on the bill of sale if new parts were used.

In the case of used parts, you must provide:

A description of the part. The vehicle identification number (VIN) of the motor vehicle that contained the part or a statement from you indicating why it is not available; the make; and the model and year. The date the part was removed or dismantled (if available).The name and address of the person or business that dismantled or removed the part. To apply for an appointment for the VIN inspection, you should complete a Salvage Inspection Application. Return three copies as indicated with a check or money order payable to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) for $200 (cars and trucks) or $100 (motorcycles).

Phone one of the salvage inspection sites indicated on your application to arrange for an appointment, and then fax your New Jersey Salvage Title for your vehicle and your salvage appointment application to that location.

Note that failure to keep your scheduled appointment, or failure to arrive on time, will result in the forfeiture of your inspection fee. To avoid this, you should request a new appointment at least five working days before your original appointment date if you need to reschedule.

When you go to the inspection, you must bring:

The salvage title issued to you.Your copy of the application.The bill of sale for each major component part you have replaced.The required photographs and work order.

#7 ·
:)

He had a salvage title from CT, brought it to PA (where he lives), he had a PA salvage title that states; he cannot use it on the highway until a 'reconstructed title' is issued. He never bothered to reconstruct it cause he was using it for the track, thats when i bought it. Looked at it, rode it, seemed fine. When i get it in my hands and its street ready, i'll have it checked out.

The frame has some rash on the right side from a lowside (1st owner), thats whay it was a salvage and the 2nd owner installed the 750 motor, but never got it registered.

#9 ·
Ok...

So I finally got something online, detailing the information I needed. Found a blog where this guy built up a salvage title bike in NYC, and went to one of the DMV's field inspection places.

His experience wasnt so great; He had to wait a good 6 months for an appointment to come in and get his bike inspected. When he got there, the retarded city workers put his bike on a lift and warped his front brake disc's, of course they accepted no responsibility. They took his paperwork and told him to wait outside, about an hour later the field investigators came back and told him his paperwork was unacceptable. Apparently he didnt get a letter from the insurance company detailing the damage that was on the bike originally. They also ask for every receipt for every item changed over on the bike, so if you put on reflectors, they want to see a receipt for them or they will assume their stolen.

The poor guy also found out the hard way; NYC DMV's policy is the bike must be presented in 'original form', any broken fairings, not having a chain guard or the right color reflectors is cause to 'not' be passed, and having to wait another 6 months and another $200 for another appointment. Not to mention the leeway the field investigators get to pass or fail a salvage bike; So if you get one on a bad day, and he or she feels like taking it out on you, your done.

They check to make sure all stock safety items are on bike, and that lights and turn signals function, they check all paperwork and of course go over the bike for any stolen parts. Although i cant imagine how they determine this, as most parts have no way to i.d to a specific vehicle. Even the engine on my Suzuki has only a generic serial number, but somehow, someway, these can be detected as stolen or not.

So here i am now; trying to get NYPD Auto Crime to asess if the vin or engine serial number come up stolen. Unless your a cop 'on the job', as they like to say or a family member of a cop you'll go in circles. Calling the Albany DMV Office of Field Investigations, (the guys who actually check if your bike has stolen parts), for answers on how to properly fill out the paperwork is an equally daunting task, as no one seems to know who does what over there.

I'm beginning to see why people dont bother with salvage title bikes...

#10 ·
New developments...

Finally got through to the Albany DMV Division of Field Investigations who alas answered my questions...

If the original owner installed a different engine in the bike, it is not my responsibility to provide paperwork for the engine unless it comes up stolen.

So...On the DMV paperwork, i dont have to put anything that says i've modified the bike, except for whatever else i put on it after i took posession of the bike and title.

What i put on afterwards was the fairings and the lights/turn signals, from my previously crashed bike. All i need to do is present a copy of the title or registration from my old bike, listing it as a legit donor bike for parts.

Hopefully, all will go well with the inspection.

#11 · (Edited)
For future generations...

In case anyone has to go through the same ordeal, and like me got no useful answers anywhere, on countless google and forum searches. Hope these help someone out there...

Abany Division of Field Investigations:
518-474-2019>>>518-474-0955

Terry-Handles junk/salvage titles for Albany DMV:
518-474-2019

Auto Crime Unit Brooklyn:
718-217-8515

NYS DMV Inspections Unit - Queens
718-468-0690

#12 ·
well i know some one that did do it once u get the paperwork back from albany they send u a temp plate(actually a piece of paper) so u can ride to the inspection facility its good for i thin 15 days i cant remember once u get that done u just wait for title and u good to register they just looking bike over no stolen vins or anything and all safety issues are good

#13 ·
The saga continues...

NYC DMV doesnt automatically issue you a temporary plate; what you have to do is somehow, someway go to a bike repair facility or dealership with the bike, have them inspect it to make sure its road worthy.

They then have to fill out a section (box on the upper right hand side) of the; Appication for Salvage Vehicle Examination (form MV-899), you also have to provide insurance for the bike and send in an insurance card with the paperwork as well as a big honking note attached to the front of form MV-899, letting them know that your also applying for a Temporary Motor Vehicle Transport Permit.

#16 ·
***For Future Generations***

Went to my appointment in Queens Village, here's what took place:

Rode to my inspection site with my temporary permit (saved hundreds on towing fees), slipped my appointment letter through some mailslot.

20 minutes later called me over the p.a to bring in my vehicle to the investigation facility (right next door).

Investigator looked at my vin numbers (neck and left side tag), engine number and asked me how i obtained all the parts on the bike (fairings, headlight, mirrors etc).

Told him they were from my old bike, gave him the old bikes vin numbers. Brought my bike back out, and sat in the waiting room. Minimal chat, with minimal questions, didnt ask me for any type of paperwork or receipts.

10 minutes later he walks out, and tells me everything was ok on the bike, i can leave now.

And that was it, none of the heartache and drama i was fearing and read about online, a pretty painless and easy process, provided nothing's stolen. Now im just waiting for Albany to send me back my new title, 15 business days maximum according to the law :thumbup:

#21 ·
I dont know why I didn't see this sooner. I went thru the salvage title process in PA. The enhanced inspection fee was high ($225ish) but very painless really. You guys posted up good advice.

The only thing I had to do with mine to pass was replace the fairings. I ended up misplacing the receipt for the fairings. I ended up just writing out a statement saying I repaired all the damage with the goods I already had, and spent nothing out of pocket. That was all they needed.

#23 ·
Thank You Gentlemen

Yup got a good bike with a 750 engine for a good price ($2700), slapped on all my old 600 stuff and am now a happy camper again :thumbup:

Before (when i first bought the bike, with 750 engine installed):
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

What was left of my previous 2007 GSXR 600, after the crash:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Now:
[/URL][/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.