Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

what is considered high miles on a gixxer

109K views 73 replies 44 participants last post by  MadisonMotorsportUK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm just curious I have a k-8 1000 and just turned over 13,000 miles on it. What is considered high mileage on a sport bike? So I ask how many miles do you have on your baby, and what do you guys think are too many miles to have on one????:hmmm:

#5 · (Edited)
:thumbup: yeah I remember that guy with over 100,000 but that was in kilometers though.. so he actually had around 70,000 or so on her. damn I forget his name but, he was from the UK I have chatted with him in these forums before:D oops just remembered his name ...... the 1,000 er gixxer or something.

#9 ·
Isn't there a guy out there that has put more than 200,000 miles on his bike? Granted that it's been highway miles and it's an F4i, I sware I saw a video of it. That just means gsxr's should be able to go further... :laughingr. But seriously as long as you maintain your bike, miles aren't a big deal. My 06 gsxr is about to roll 24k and I started with it last year at 15k :shifty... maybe I've added a little too much :lol:...

#10 ·
:lol: me personally I have already put 4,500 on her this season. we only have a couple of months of shitty weather where I live.. so I'm always riding rain or shine. also thanks guys for the fast replies. this is the best site I'm about to upgrade my account to lifetime member.

#12 ·
"High" mileage is a function of time and maintenance. It only seems high if the time is shorter than you personally would have taken to ride that much.

If you maintain it properly it will keep running and high mileage will actually be a badge of honor.

#14 ·
see thats the thing I always keep my baby maintained. I change the oil with MOTUL every 2,000 miles and the filter I take pride and care of her. I guess I will never sell it/ trade it for another. if anything Ill turn her in to a track bike. :hmmm: im just curious of how many miles people have on there babys:headscrat

#15 ·
If they are street miles, no matter how hard the rider rides, it won't even begin to matter until 50k or more. If the bike has been heavily stunted, crashed multiple times, fixed up halfway, 5k might be a lot.

I put about 24k race track miles, and another 8k on the street on my Honda 929, and it still runs very well. After all that, it has lost a little of it's power, but you'd only notice on the track. I still have the bike, since it's not worth what I'd get by selling it. I'd be very happy to have it, and I still enjoy riding it from time to time, even though I have newer bikes as well.

#32 ·
If they are street miles, no matter how hard the rider rides, it won't even begin to matter until 50k or more. If the bike has been heavily stunted, crashed multiple times, fixed up halfway, 5k might be a lot.
Always remember Maintanence, Maintanence, Maintanence.
What they said. Nothing lasts forever, but as long as anything is maintained, it will provide plenty of years of enjoyment.

For me not to buy a used bike, I keep looking when bikes are over the 25,000 mile mark. That doesn't mean I'm looking to sell mine at that stage tho.

#22 ·
:bowdown: damn bro see that's what IM TALKING about:arsenal who else wants to post stats?

#28 ·
Got 150 000 Km on my '99 Blade, she gets used as a commuter on weekdays and spanked on weekends at the track :)

and 12 000 Km on 2011 GSX-R (Bought in July 2011)

#31 ·
Yeah, but the guy on that F4i honda has rebuilted his motor twice so far tho...

A engine wont last forever.. ur gonna have to rebuilt it sometimes. cause some parts intend to go.

I had 27,000 miles on my 05 motor til the rod gave up thru the block.

23,000 miles on this 04 motor. I already put 1,000 miles on it since past month. lol :)

#36 ·
#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let's look at it this way. If 10 or 15K was the engineered product life span they would only last 2 to 5 years...almost a disposable product.

With an MSRP of 10 to 15K, it is costing $5K just to own it for a year or $1 per km. No one would buy it or finance it.

If they were that short-lived the original owners would use them up and used ones would be hard to find.

#38 ·
Gsxr100 000k Dan no rebuilds original clutch only changed the anti and brake fluid once or twice..only trouble he had was a thermostat at around 60k.Many oil,filters,break pads,tires,plugs,air filters later...Through pm he told me he only used cheap oil and only did filter every second change...was at 1001300 miles last time we chatted..

#42 ·
Gsxr100 000k Dan no rebuilds original clutch only changed the anti and brake fluid once or twice..only trouble he had was a thermostat at around 60k.Many oil,filters,break pads,tires,plugs,air filters later...Through pm he told me he only used cheap oil and only did filter every second change...was at 1001300 miles last time we chatted..
one million, one thousand and three hundred miles is a lot OIF :infrandom :lol:

#40 ·
I've got 70k miles on my 2001 gsxr 750.

The funny thing(or not) is that I bought the bike salvaged with 1k miles and since I figured I would lay down my first bike, i didnt really take the best care of it but yet she still runs like a champ. As for maintenance never changed the clutch, only a sporadic oil change(every 5-7k) and a thermostat at 40k.

I did want to upgrade to a new bike and the guy at the dealership asked if I wanted to trade my bike in but I told him I didn't think I would get much for a bike with 70k miles, and he said " you mean 7k right"...I had to correct him...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.