Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

04 1000 Chain Tightening

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  2008gsxr600 
#1 ·
Whenever i start of my chain makes a weird noise like it is catching on something and when im going down the road it makes your normal noise but kinda loud....I think it is just a bit lose, how do i tighten my chain?

#2 ·
:headscrat
Start by selling your 1000 and getting a Vespa. :lol:

Seriously....search for this man, it doesnt get ANY easier than this for maintaining your bike. This is as easy or easier than checking the air in your tires. You do that right?
Clean and lube it........do NOT over tighten your chain or you will be buying a new one much sooner than you realize. Too tight of a chain will destroy it in short order. It's probably dry as a popcorn fart and in need of some lube more so than tightening.
Search this stuff and download the manual and spend a Friday night reading it! You can thank me later. :thumbup:

#3 ·
Uh...yeah basically what he said. :clap:

Also is your chain just really old? That could be it.

#4 ·
chain tightening 101

First start by draining the fuel out of your tank, then remove gas tank there should be a torsion bolt under your throttle bodies turn that two clicks, oh yeah always disconnect your negative battery terminal before doing any kind of maintanence on your bike re-install your tank and fuel, lube your chain and you should be good to go.:infrandom

#6 ·
chain tightening 101

Sorry man I couldn't help it I had to. It's super easy loosen your axle nut then adjust the to bolts that look like they are holding your axle from going forward, if your unsure about getting it lined up evenly messure from the center of your rear axle on both sides to the center of your pivot bolt on your swing arm, make sure you messure the same on both sides.:thumbup:

#8 ·
i thought this site was for help not to be a dick, ive rode all my life but this is my first bike, i used to race atvs and there was a central nut on the rear swingarm you could adjust to tighten your chain a bit.

i agree i could lube it, ok thats fine, but the basic rule of thumb is 2 fingers between chain guard and chain, and there is a little more than that now, thats why i was wondering. if ur gonna be a dick, dont wry bout telling me about what to do because its usually the dicks that are incompetent as experience tells me

#10 ·
So if this is your first bike then you haven't really ridden your whole life? :headscrat
Racing quads is not riding a GSX-R 1000, that is for sure.
To tighten the chain what needs to happen? The rear wheel needs to move back. Did you even look at it before you posted? No one is being a dick and we ARE here to help but you could do us a favor and try even a LITTLE bit to help yourself.
If i came on here and asked how to put oil and gas in my bike, I would expect someone to be a smart ass about it.
It's usually the dicks that are tired of hearing new riders buying the baddest bike on the block and not wanting to spend 3 seconds to look up their shit to find out how to do the most mundane of tasks to maintain it! You my friend fall into THAT area and in turn I fall into the "dick" area. How about if you're going to ask questions that are THAT easy to find on your own, expect dick answers!
Not trying to be a dick here.......just clearing the air. :D

#9 ·
You're right about the 2 finger rule. Also if there's just a lot of play in the chain, too much bouncing, slack and stuff like that you should either replace it or tighten it up.

#11 ·
chain tightening 101

Bigmann! chill out dude, I was just having a little fun, there was no harm intended. I explained how to do it, I always use the 1/2"-5/8" rule for chain slop, you don't want to be able to move it up and down more than 5/8" seriuosly though I ways just kidding no reason to come out of your saddle man.:cool:

#13 ·
The most important thing with these bikes is to check the chain tension with someone sitting on the saddle. If you tighten it to the manual specified .9-1.1 inch sitting on the side stand, the chain will be too tight and will be eaten quickly. It's best to err on the loose side - slightly too loose is better than slightly too tight.

#14 ·
^+1 i won't be a dick lol
but it's easy as hell.
take out cotter pin, loosen axle nut, tighten acordingly, tighten axle nut to 88ft. lbs., reinstall cotter pin, ride safe!

#15 ·
man chill it was all in fun. when ppl ask simple questions that could be found on google that get messed with. if i asked how to fill my tires i sure hope someone would fuck with me so i wouldnt ask shit like that again. no1 was bein a dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.