Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

sprocket sizes

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  kingbrando1 
#1 ·
hey i was wondering what sprocket to buy, i dont want something crazy just a few up from stock, something i will notice a diff. but not crazy

#11 ·
Went -1 front, +2 rear on my 03 600 and I love it. Alot of difference, you'll like it.

Any sprockets will work, if you have a Cycle Gear near you, they are very helpful and treat customers well.

If you can, go with a chain/sprocket kit, which will include a new chain and sprockets that are the same size, i.e. 520 or 525.

Get it local or online, here are a few online places off the top of my head that may have them.

.sumofallparts.
.sprocketspecialties.
.motomummy.

#12 ·
Is it true that when you change the sprocket sizes.. example 530 to 525, it increases speedo error?? My 03 gsxr 600, ever since I installed the new kit....speedo is way off!!:headscrat and I definetly notice the slight rpm increase.But its all good considering the acceleration gain!!:D

#13 ·
It's not going from 525 to 520 or 530 to 525 that changes the speedo, it's changing the tooth count on the sprockets. More importanly (I think) is the size of the front one because that is where the speedo drive gear and sensor are. But the problem can be fixed for about $100 using a "speedo healer" or "yellow box", which will recalibrate the speedo for your gearing changes.

#19 ·
Fuel Injection mapping. Previous owner had it performance tuned on a dyno, and stored the map in the ECU. same thing as a power commander + map.

I got my sprockets from the dealer. Same price as online (+ship/hand) and I got it quickly.

#23 ·
the sprockets determine your final gear if i'm not mistaken. Divide your rear by your drive sprocket and you get your final gear ratio.
45 divided by 15 is 3.0. so 3.0 is your final gear ratio.
3.0 is the number of rotations it'll have to turn in order to turn the wheel once.

So once you kinda play with numbers.. you kinda see that the back is less drastic of a change per tooth vs. the front sprocket.

Steel is also a heavier choice vs. aluminum, but doesn't wear out as fast.
Steel 4tw imo.

Knowing this you can kinda get a feel for what you want to buy. I'm in the same boat and have done a bit of research on this and my friends r6 forums. Lots of info out there, and i recommend knowing as much as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.