Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

03 GSXR1000 vs. GSXR1000 04,05,06,07

13K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  MadisonMotorsportUK 
#1 ·
Ok fello ryders,
I have a 03 GSXR-1000 and have rode all but the new 07. Honsetly plz there is NOT much difference the 03 was way ahead of its time. I have ran with all the years and can keep up just fine. I don't know someone give my their thoughts.

"TRIP"
Las Vegas Ruff Ryders

#4 ·
It sounds like you trying to convince your self that the bike that you have is as good as newer versions. I mean you already rode all of the other ones except 07 I believe you said, then if you think it then it is. It’s your bike, you the one who’s riding it, so you have to be satisfied with it. And it doesn’t matter which year, you’ll see some people on here got bike as old as mid 80s and they love their bikes and that’s what it is about.

#9 ·
the 03's have better brakes than the 04's. the fit of the 03 feels better to me than the 06. I have used the word "violent" for the throttle of the 03 compared the the 06. I have added exhaust and extras, so it is close to the hp of the 06. (161). I love mine.

#12 ·
I actually like the 03-04 motor. The 988cc made great midrange and has great throttle response. The 05-06 was almost the same and for 07 they changed the gearing to deliver teh same midrange as the older bikes. The 988cc motor also responds well to bolt ons.

#13 · (Edited)
I have ran with all the years and can keep up just fine.

"TRIP"
Las Vegas Ruff Ryders
Last night I was out on a '86 GSXR750. I bought this bike 3 years ago. And until yesterday, I NEVER rode it. Not one mile (long story.... for a different thread)
I was riding with a 2005 GSXR600. Off the line and even with the roll ons on the freeway. no comparison. That 600 flat out kicked my butt!

That is until we got in some twist. Now remember I had never ridden this bike, it is bone stock and OLD as the hills. my normal ride is a 2006 GSXR1000 so I was not even close to being used to the bike. But I left that 600 like it was bolted to the road. Why? Because keeping up isn’t always the bike but it has a lot to do with the rider. Sure, anyone can go fast in a straight line. That takes zero skill.

On to you statement/question. As stated I currently have a 2006 GSXR1000 as well as a 2002 GSXR1000 while I haven’t owned a 03/04 1000 I do have a to say that the difference from the 02 1000 to the 06 1000 is an OH MY GOD experience. They are both excellent machines that do certain things extremely well. But for the overall package the 06 is noticeably different / better.

So IMO the 03/04 is just not as good. It might have the power but the chassis is superior on the 05/06. I have ridden many a 03/04 and honestly think that even in comparing it to the 01/02 I prefer that later. My best way to explain the 05/06 1000 is that they took a 01/02 GSXR1000 and a 04/05 GSXR600 and had a baby!

Your '03 is a nice bike but it’s not the same as an 05/06. It is possible however that at your current skill level you cannot tell the difference between them. Maybe you just assume that they are all the same or close to it because there isn’t that in your face night and day change like from 86 to 05.

#15 ·
ive smoked every frickin bike ive raced since ive had this one... some of these bikes had a lot of $$$ & track time put n 2 them... i believe th@ the rider is the most important part of the machine... so if u know your 03 well & can RIDE the b*tch, then your bike probly seems faster than it is n reality... if u can keep up & perform against more modern liter class bikes on an 03 then imagine if u had an 06... and admit it or not but the 03 can n no way compare mechanically, or handling wise geometrically with the 05/06 GSXR 1000... if u can ride u can ride 4 sure so think about it:D

#16 ·
ive smoked every frickin bike ive raced since ive had this one... some of these bikes had a lot of $$$ & track time put n 2 them... i believe th@ the rider is the most important part of the machine... so if u know your 03 well & can RIDE the b*tch, then your bike probly seems faster than it is n reality... if u can keep up & perform against more modern liter class bikes on an 03 then imagine if u had an 06... and admit it or not but the 03 can n no way compare mechanically, or handling wise geometrically with the 05/06 GSXR 1000... if u can ride u can ride 4 sure so think about it:D
:thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

#18 ·
Ok fello ryders,
I have a 03 GSXR-1000 and have rode all but the new 07. Honsetly plz there is NOT much difference the 03 was way ahead of its time. I have ran with all the years and can keep up just fine. I don't know someone give my their thoughts.

"TRIP"
Las Vegas Ruff Ryders
😂Look👀 don't entertain the "my bike is the best bike because it's what I got b.s." 🤣 yo riding encompasses way more than just who has the newest or fastest bike. The rider is what makes the machine not the other way around. Alot of people like to think they are good at the things they would like to be good at but that don't mean much at all neither does it make it true🤣 If you ain't racing on I-4 during hurricane season in the rain don't bore me with your bike performance specs😭👎🏾🤦🏾‍♂️

#19 ·
If you ain't racing on I-4 during hurricane season in the rain don't bore me with your bike performance specs😭👎🏾🤦🏾‍♂️
I can't say I've done that.

#23 ·
FWIW, and recognising the OP is now post-dated by 15 years of newer bikes (!!!), but when I was shopping for GSXR the 2003 1000 model did stand out to me as a substantial technical improvement which I don't feel was massively bettered since (probably because of emissions requirements being dumped on the manufacturers).

I almost went for a high miler K3 1000 myself. I also like the styling for that year.

But I do think a later year 750 is a better real world proposition, with not dissimilar power but it's also easy just to slot a higher gear to limit torque and reduce the madness when you're just pottering around using the bike as 'transport', but cog it down a few and you are in the right place for, err, non-pottering. With a litre bike you have to be more on guard for unleashing an excess of power because it is so much more able to do that in any gear.