Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Experience Required GSXR750 vs 1000

94K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  MadisonMotorsportUK 
#1 ·
Anyone have any seat time on a newer 2006 and up, preferably 08 750’s and 1000’s to give me a real idea of the handling differences? Looking at the Suzuki specs the chassis and weight are pretty close. -/+ 10 lbs.
Looking at buying a new gsxr but have not decided on the 750 or 1000. I am not beginner so the power is not an issue.
The best bike I ever had was my 00 750. With the new 1000’s having the power mode this could be a good option. However people I’ve spoke to or seen on line don’t use the mode switch. The 750 has always been a great bike for handling. W/ the above stats you’d think the handling would be pretty close and w. some seat time be able to use the additional power of the 1000. So back to the question. Any one able to provide a real comparison?

Thanks

#5 ·
I have the 07 1000 and a good friend of mine has the 08 750. The 750 def feels smaller and lighter, But the 1000 still handles exceptionally well. Of course the 750 will be more of a "street friendly" bike, it just kind of depends on the power you're looking for. As far as the CBR...i know 3 people that have these new bikes and they said they regret selling their gsxrs for them. I personally havent ridden one but I havent heard anything good here locally besides all the magazine hype. At the end of the day its still a honda

#4 ·
I have a k6 600 and the 600/750 pretty share the same body, and the 1000 is slightly heavier. As far as handling the 600/750 is easy to throw in the turns, very light and easy to toss around. The 1000 on the other hand obviously is a bit more twitchy especially coming out of a turn in which you are accelerating, however it takes a bit more effort to toss around unlike the 600/750 sizing. You can really feel the weight of the bike in comparison to the 600/750. personally the 750 would be an all around good street bike with power and handling being readily usable. The 1000 is power hungry and loves to be ridden fast. but then again how often are you going to utilize the power of the 1000 on the streets.

#6 ·
heard the 1k is only 10lbs heavier.
you'll outgrow the power of a 750, but a 1k has the beta top end.
in the 1k's, i like the zx10 myself, and the 07 looks even beta than the 08. a leftover 7 could be had for around $9k + tt&l.
they're all too cramped for me though, that's why i like the busa.
and i've had em all

#7 ·
I have not figured out how to reply to multiple quotes so here's a reply to a few.
Stats say the 1k is 10lbs heavier than the 750. ? is,is it enough to notice the dif? Not sure I'd outgrow the power of the 750. Would be running much higher rpms. I was running ~ 10k rpm in the twistied on my 00 750. Right in the meat of the power. A used ZX10( I know...) could be an option for a summer until the 1000's come out w/ a better design. 08's are growing on me. Waiting to see what the 09 looks like in person.
The 08 CBR - Not a big fan of Honda's. Had an 04 cbr1000. That was like riding a brick. Had to get off the bike and pull it down into the turns.
The busa is a bit large. Although one guy I ride w. weighs ~120 lbs and he throughs his 08 busa around.
Nikko - fully agree on the 750. My 00 750 handles better than the last 4 bikes I've had in the last 2 yrs.
04- cbr1000 , Heavy and slow in the turns. Fast in straight line
05 R1 - No mid range.Fast as hell once you got above 100 and get the rmp above 8.
01 gsxr 1000 - Too heavy in the front end. Power delivery was not smooth at all
03 R1- Close to my 750 but still not my 750. Plus the riding position is not as comfortable. My 750 you just look were you want to go. You could jam on the front break in the middle of a turn and it would remain stable.

I think I may look for a used 750 - 06/07 New bikes cost too much.
thanks for the input.

#8 ·
I am in the same predicament as you, was initially leaning toward the 1000 K7 or K8 but then I started to think the 750 would be an all around better street bike because of the lighter weight and quicker handling. Funny thing is a couple of weeks ago I asked the exact same question you did, looking for someone who has ridden both bikes and could give a detailed answer comparing the two. I got one or two halfhearted responses. My main concern is that the 1000 is bigger and roomier, less cramped for a guy like me. I am 6'2 and 220 pounds, the 750 feels good to me but slightly more cramped than the 1000. I am waiting for the K9 1000 and 750 to see what they have done with it. If it is substantially different from the 08, then I will probably get the '09 1000 and put on a full Yosh or Akrapovic exhaust to drop about 20 pounds further. Suzuki is on track for a full redesign of the 1000 for '09, so we'll see what they come up with.

#9 ·
For 09 the 1000 will be even smaller. There isn't any significant difference in size between the 600/750/1000 now. I remember the first time I saw an 05 1000; it looked smaller than my 05 600, and they have been getting smaller with each redesign, though they have also been gaining weight with each redesign since 01. Honda went from being the class porker to having a literbike that weighs significantly less than the GSXR600. Suzuki needs to get on the ball in weight loss too.

#19 ·
I gotta disagree with you there, there is a big difference between the 600/750 and 1000's sizewise. The 1000 is bigger, longer, heavier, and feels it. The 600 and 750 are the same size.

#15 ·
I've got the 07 750 and I love it. I've ridden different bikes and buddies have ridden mine and we all agree it is the best all around bike on the streets. Unless you get on the highway or have little to no traffic where you live, you'll probably never use 1000 power anyway.

#17 ·
Heavily personal preference... but some considerations:

Weight ALONE is not the primary point. WHERE is the weight, and HOW does the DISPLACEMENT play a role?

The thousand has greater reciprocating mass WITHIN the motor, and THIS is part of what makes it "feel" heavier. (Less prone to LEAN as readily... more prone to STAND up in a turn, etc...) On a STRAIGHT or MOSTLY STRAIGHT road, there is LITTLE if ANY notable difference in dead weight between the two, BUT... the thou will reward at MUCH LOWER rider input relative "grunt" and "thrust". (You don't have to push it as hard.)

What TYPE of roads do YOU ride? WHERE do you ride? (Mountainous region? OHIO?)

If you live in an area where EVEN on the 750, you don't get into higher gears much or you tend to do a LOT of cornering, especially TIGHT corners, you may PREFER the way you can exercise the motor with less "risk" relative throttle control, and focus more heavily on the HANDLING pleasures of your ride. Where the 1000 requires MORE if not nearly ALL (at times) of your energy (focus/mind) to be spent on THROTTLE CONTROL!

As some will say... there is NO replacement for DISPLACEMENT...

...on the OTHER hand... the only replacement for TORQUE is HANDLING...

It's all about where and how you ride... not so much "which bike is better".

g/l

-crisp

#18 ·
Very true. I would take a new 600 with pimp aftermarket suspension componants for handling and cornering vs. the cost of a new stock 1000.

#24 ·
Interesting...I just sold my 04 750. The best bike ever made in my humble and inexperienced opinion (I've only ridden a few bikes...r1, zx10, gsxr6000, and cbr600). My next bike will most likely be an 06 gsxr 1000 (hopefully gray and black:cool:) I have never rode an 05 06 1000, and i hope i'm making the right decision. The specs don't make it seem like it's going to be too much to handle in the turns as far as tossability. The 04-05 750s are feel porkier than any new bike...so I don't think that the 06 1000 will feel that much heavier. Any input is appreciated...I just hope stepping up to the 1000 is the right decision.

#32 ·
Fasten your seat belt kids - that is a 15 year bump…

#31 ·
I would say the 750 is the best of most worlds. Yes, the 1000 is faster and higher tech etc, etc. Very few (VERY few) riders can “get” all a “little” 600 has to offer and push it to its limit - those guys will embarrass average riders on liter bikes all day. The 750 is a taste of the 1000 power and the 600 handling. Win Win. The litre bikes are impressive but the average rider isn’t using it beyond what a 750 can provide. If I was gonna go with a fuel injected GSXR again it would be a modded 600. Street or track. (Disclaimer: a 2005 1000 is on my list of dream bikes)

Hate mail from the litre bike guys can be sent to:

Tinsnips
Canadian Embassy of GSXR.com
Niagara Falls
Cananadia.

#33 · (Edited)
(Disclaimer: a 2005 1000 is on my list of dream bikes)
I'm living the dream baby!!!

Tin- knowing your passion for motorcycles- you'd love one, and be amazed too.

Having little disposable cash, I feel so fortunate to have my K5 Liter street (Tracked it too), and to have my well sorted K6 Liter track.
I like having the majority of the power and handling of the newer Liters, and I don't want the electronics, rider controls. Disclaimer- my track bike came with a Bazzaz w/ a form of Traction control. It has no wheel sensors though.

I had a GSXR750 before I got the K5 Liter. But it was a '97. It was nice, and I put 4K miles on it in 3 months- then sold it when I lucked into the first K5 Liter I then got. I've been riding for a long time. As in 50+ years riding something with a motor and 2 wheels.

Reactions: Tinsnips
#34 ·
Just to keep an ancient, but never ending (! ;) ) discussion going ...

Are there many more 1000's than 750's?

I'm just asking because most of the faults being reported in this forum seem to be about 1000's.

In fact, I don't recall seeing a 750 being reported here with a fault, but that might be my imagination.

Are 750's more reliable? Or should I ask, do they go wrong less frequently (which might be a different question)?

#35 ·
That is a good question & Ill be up front saying I don’t know the answer. If I would have to guess I would say there may simply be less 750s out there. It would also be interesting to know how many threads are about OEM repairs & how many are simply sorting out mods & upgrades.

Reactions: QRO
#39 ·
In theory, having a larger displacement means you have a freer choice of what gear you choose as you have a wider choice of power you want to put onto the back wheel. In theory it makes riding at any speed easier, you can just wind on the throttle when a smaller bike requires gear changes.

But I am not entirely convinced by that, at least off track, because both bikes have very tall gearboxes (the same box, in fact). At the speeds that is true for on the street, you'd tend to pick the next gear up on a 750 than a 1000 anyway, so the engine is spinning faster and you end up with the same, if not more, power to the rear wheel. It comes down to the precise speed and what gear you are most likely in.

Ironically, it is on the track that I presume this sort of difference is more important, and the 1000 should have a wider choice and easier matching to accelerate around the track and its corners. But the heavier engine inertia of the 1000 (due to longer stroke) is likely to negate some of that, and experienced riders seem to say the 750 will best a 1000 on the track. I don't have a view on 750/1000 GSXR but I have taken both a 600 and 900 CBR-R around a track day, in mid 2000's, and the 900 (Fireblade) was heavy and cumbersome in tight corners because of its wayward engine braking. I can see this could have been a factor in why a lot of riders met their sticky ends on Fireblades in those days. Slipper clutches help with this now, but back then it seemed far to easy to get the back tyre locked and sliding, uncontrolled, when coming fast into a slow corner. I think 1000 GSXR will be much better, very similar bikes other than the crank stroke, but I don't know. The track reviews seem to punt the 750.

I'd guess at the highest levels, it'd depend on the track and the rider, and surely the 1000 is likely to pip it with chosen gear ratios specific for a track?

#40 ·
Unless you're looking at a track like Snetterton with it's long straights, the 750 is probably the best bike for UK tracks. Snetterton is about the only circuit, IME, where a 1000 has a big advantage.

Other tracks such as Silverstone and Donington, the advantage of the 1000 is minimal and a good 750 rider will be faster.

Conversely, again IME, a track such as Croft, Anglesey or Knockhill, a 750 is too much and a 600 is the better choice. Anglesey is actually much better on a 400 or 500.