Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

R6 vs gsxr

84K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  Rich5281 
#1 ·
Right now I am stuck on deciding whether I would want a 2007 r6 or a 2007 gsxr 600. I'd like to hear your opinions if you have spent a good amount of time on both bikes. Anything about how smooth it rode, steering quickness, stability, power delivery, where the power comes in, rider comfort and ergos. It will mostly be used on the street untill later on when I'd like to try some trackdays.

What I seem to have heard is that the r6 can be a wimpy noodle at low-med rpms, which is hard to believe for being a 600. But the gsxr has power all of except the very top. Again the r6 is more aggresive ergos but is it aggresive enough that you would not want to ride for an hour-two?

Anything you can tell me ups and downs about them because I'd like some opinions before settling on a bike. The option to ride each for a good bit really isn't there so the most I can do is sit on them and see what you guys have to say.

Let the debate begin?

Cheers, and thanks!

#4 ·
It really depends on how your going to use it. Both brands are stabile platforms but geared for slightly different consumers. I have ridden and raced against both and i settled on a Suzuki 750 LOL As far as those two models go the gsxr is more real world oriented. It has much better bottom end and will be a more comfortable ride does this mean it is any less track worthy NO. The R6 is fine if most of your riding is upper rpm range. It has much less bottom end and 600's dont have much in the first place. The R6 is also a smaller cockpit geared for smaller guys. It can be ridden on the street but it will require more revs to get rolling. As far as handling the R6 is a very agile machine but the gsxr is no fat chick they are comparable until you really know what your looking for in a bike. Can you feel on click of suspension if i didnt tell you what i did ? Probably not especially if your asking this question. I would go with what you like better nd not let little differences effect your choice. However the Gsxr will be a much better do all bike and the R6 is a little more track/aggressive street riding type of a ride. Have fun with your decision. :thumbup:

#5 ·
Debate? I don't think there is a debate here haha. But seriously GSXR hands down. I had a buddy who rode an 07 R1, traded it for an 06 1K and said he will never ride yamaha again, after getting the gix.

#11 ·
I have rode both and my only complaint is the the Yamaha wasn't as comfortable, and it felt a lot less stable in the corners and at high speeds. I am not saying the GSXR is perfect, but I think it's hands down the best all around sport bike you can get. I would get the GSXR.

#12 ·
Get a R6, there is already enough squids in here! :lol:

JUST KIDDING! Of course you should get a GSXR 600 instead of the R6. The R6 is a nice bike but the fit and finish of the GSXR is a whole lot better IMO.

#14 ·
If you are a DIY'er go for the GSXR you will hate the Yamaha, all bikes are fast it all depends on how much stomach you have. If you are concerned about comfort there is only one way to make that decision and it does not matter what anyone else says. What is comfortable to you is not necessarily gonna be comfortable for someone else. You my friend have to sit on both of em.

#29 · (Edited)
Wait is this where you live? Is there a link to the add?

Thanks for looking!

Side note, I have thought about maybe a older back like a 98-99 r1 because a set of nice tuned carbs and the older muscle car sounding engines have been appealing to me. If gas wasn't so damn expensive I'd buy something with a big block to play around with. Theres no replacement for displacement after all :D

#21 ·
had an 07 r6... handling was stiff as hell .. didnt like comfort-ability on it either. then went to an 07 gsxr 600.. handled extremely well power was good throughout.. i think my r6 might have been a little faster in the higher rpms but not by much.. then settled on an 09 gsxr 750..which is the best bike.

#23 ·
The issue i think you all are talking about it with the R6 not handling as well is because your not pushing it hard enough. The gsxr is great with pretty good handling in many different conditions the R6 likes smooth road and high load situations like high speed corners and fast transitions between braking and back on the gas. I would not let this bother you in a decision because any suspension can be tuned to work in you environment and riding style the R6 just comes more track ready for quicker riders. The gsxr's seem to come more street/mountain friendly and work fine on the track until more advanced speeds. The R6 as we have all said is not as comfortable but if your racing then that is not really a issue but again if you want an all day rider go Gsxr then stick some heli riser bars on there and a pair of rearsets that go back farther and lower your pegs then you can get a hernia doughnut and sit your sensitive little ass on it. Man up and ride what you got :arsenal

#34 ·
Great to hear!, price could have been a little lower, got my k7 600 with 4k miles a year ago for 4100 but none the less you GOT THE GSXR :thumbup:

#38 ·
i had an 06 r6 great bike- yoshi pipe, conti attacks few other simple mods never had a prob. the tail on them are soooooo small cant ride someone over 100lbs no seat. then i bought an 08 zx6r terrible handling traded for a 02 gsxr 600 tons of mods bt003's weighs 10lbs less full of gas no bs i put it on a scale. handling is much better than the r6 IMO
the r6 was too twitchy and the gsxr is smooth and leans easier

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.