Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Top Speed

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DominicToretto 
#1 ·
well of course.. I was watching YouTube again. I seen this guy at 183mph on a gsxr 600. is that possible w/o modifications & also.. what would be the avg top speed of that bike?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
180+ is possible with the right mods. But I doubt that video was accurate. It was prob indicated speed without a healer if the bike was geared Different from stock. However, it is possible.

#5 ·
Dude you been on this site a couple of days and you already has 7 threads that you've started. Now, you seem like a smart guy and I see that you watch YouTube, and a lot of the questions could be answered by those vids and google.

Just some helpful advice before the hounds get cha

#8 ·
Don't be sorry Dom. We understand your passion and we get that you are excited to start riding. What slick is saying is that this has the makings of a squidly thread.

By all means, YouTube all day. There are some interesting vid about bikes all over the net. But your mind set should be more worried about rider mods not bike mods. I.E. good gear that will save your skin when you go down. And I highly recommend taking the MSF course ASAP if you haven't already done so. You will be shocked at what your bike is capable of the way it sits now without mods. Speed will come with skill.

#9 ·
And as a point of reference on the top speed lines. Even if he managed to get the speedo to hit 180, there is typically about a 7% error from the factory which at a registered 180 would mean you are actually going 167.4 mph. Some people argue that their 600 pulled 180 indicated stock but people say a lot of things that aren't accurate. Drag overcomes horsepower and gearing on a stock 600 and won't allow it to redline in top gear. Now if you drop the gearing down to just overcome that drag and no more to the point of redline, you may add a few mph. Most people regear more drastically to enhance acceleration, and thereby make it too easy to redline sixth thus taking top speed away. Most of us here have done it at one time or another, but twisting the throttle and holding on doesn't make you a rider, knowing what the machine is doing underneath you and even beginning to scratch the surface of its all around capabilities while making you a safer more confident rider is where it's at. Gear up, take the MSF if you haven't yet, and just get seat time in. Try to talk to level headed riders that appear fast but are actually just knowing how not to push the limits of the bike and the tires before too many bad habits become muscle memory. It's better to learn it right rather than correct it later.

#11 ·
In general, top speeds are approximately 160 mph for a stock 600, 175 mph for a stock 750, and 190 mph for a stock 1000 depending on how well you are tucked in.

You won't get to 183 on a stock 600, even on a downhill, there just isn't enough power. You would need a turbo to develop enough power.

#12 · (Edited)
im with the others on this, i got a really neat 600, got a slip on and filter. was on a very long straight tucked tightly in with a brand new rear tire. I got 256kph (160mph) indicated with about 500 rpm left and that was it when i looked down, could of been just a lil extra

was on a private road:0001136745-huh: roughly a 4km stretch

#15 ·
Instead of worrying about the next time you hit over 150mph, worry about proper gear and how to actually ride your bike. I myself am new to riding and I can tell you I have no interest in taking my 750 to warp speed anytime soon. If you cant afford the riding course, find a vacant parking lot and practice doing figure 8's. Start slow and work your way up. I did this for a few hours and my abuility to handle my bike increased by over double!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.