Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Help!! type of brake fluid to use

70K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Chad Allen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
New to the bike world, trying to find out what kind of brake fluid i can use in my 2000 gsxr 600, DOT 3 or DOT 3 full synthetic??

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dot 3 brake fluid is the lowest quality you can get, synthetic or otherwise, and was really designed for older vehicles. It has a very low boiling point and in a high-performance motorcycle, your fluid could get very hot. Also, it is very hydroscopic (absorbs water).

Suzuki recommends Dot 4 fluid and they also recommend never mixing fluids ( although Dot 3, Dot 4, and Dot 5.1 can in theory all be mixed). Dot 5 is not recommended and should never be mixed with other Dots) Dot 4 has a higher boiling point and is slightly less hydroscopic.

Assuming your current fluid is Dot 4 non-synthetic, then if you are going to a full synthetic, you should completely flush the system before changing. But full synthetic isn't really that critical. It is recommended for ABS braking systems as it has a lower viscosity (is thinner) than non-synthetic.

I would buy a good quality Dot 4 standard fluid or if you wish, a synthetic Dot 4 but as you cannot be 100% sure what type is already in there, it would be a good idea to flush the system anyway. I'm sure the fluid you already have in there will have collected some water moisture anyway which can corrode the brake lines over time so a change, as opposed to a top-up, is probably best. (y)

#4 ·
Motul RF600 is the shizzle by far.

#10 ·
I would say yes...Your brakes are probably the most important item on a high performance motorcycle, it's prudent to make them as good as possible. Dot 3 is,to be honest, crap and not really any good for a sportsbike. Suzuki recommend Dot 4 and not to mix different Dot fluid. Although this isn't essential, Suzuki recommend it to ensure maximum performance and remove any chance of compatibility issues between different Dot fluids.

It's up to you at the end of the day and carrying on as you are, you may never have a problem with the brakes, but wouldn't you feel safer knowing your brakes are as good as they can be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.