Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

how long can i ride with gas light blinking?

52K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  airhead83 
#1 ·
first off i have an 07 gsxr 750..

about how many miles do i have when my gas light is on to get gas? lol and does it turn solid when your really really low? i had to make a run from work to my house and back on my break with the light blinking the whole way. i coulda swore it was going to die.

#10 ·
ha ha its 4am i need to go to work no gas stations open. lights been blinking for 22 miles not solid yet and 11 miles to go to work lol. i thoguht i was pushing it this thread gives me hope lol. yea last time i forget to get gas th ngiht before :) i love this site

#14 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure you can find this in the manual but I have not looked. However I do know that the Light begins to blink when your tank drops below one gallon of gas. It stops blinking and turns on solid when its under ½ a gallon of gas. How far you can go depends on what your gas mileage is, what type of air filter you have, the gas you use, how you ride and so on! I had to go to work, pick up my check, go cash it at the bank and then to the gas station once. Got about 37 miles out of that last gallon on my K6 600. I was glad I did not have to push it LOL.

+1 res trip mileage on your odometer will give you the distance since the light first came on.

#15 ·
when it goes solid you have like 10-15 miles left. At least I didnt push the limit because I would always hit upa gas station a little after it goes solid. Applied to my k7 600 and k7 1000

#16 ·
K7 600
6'1, 270lbs

Ive tested this a few times on longer trips here recently. On trips I try to save time, i ride it like hell and at 115-120ish the light started blinking. I get about 15-20 miles on blinking light before solid, and pushed 10-12 on solid before I stopped for gas. I might have slowed it down once the light became solid.

On a gas saving trip, 145 miles on full tank before blinking, got to 175 before solid, and 195 before I stopped for gas. Once light started blinking, dropped speed to 55-60mph and tucked 80% after initial light blinkage.

#17 ·
Till the engine stopps DUH!

You usually have about 10-15 miles. Basically if you see it on go get gas.

#18 ·
Ive been wondering the same thing myself about how far i can go when seeing the blinking light. i also have a k7 750. right when i see the light blinking i always feel like i have to get gas right away. After reading this i feel more confident about riding a little ways on the reserve. Does anyone know how much of the 3.4 gallons are reserve?

#19 ·
When your gas light flashes you have 1 or .9 gallon left and when the light is solid you have .5 or less gallons left. Either way get gas ASAP. Its better to pull over and put gas instead of burning out a fuel pump. All gsxr's do it at the same amount of gas.

#20 ·
Well, mine came on yesterday while I was out riding in the backwoods. Figured I had at least 20 miles before she died so I made my way to a gas station. :thumbup:

Good info to have for just in case situations. I don't want to test it but still good to know. :lol:

#21 ·
You all of course need to consider your RPM during this time of running on fumes. My GSXR1000K7 can get anywhere from 230km (143mi) per tank to 60km (37mi) per tank depending on how hard I'm riding. I have made it to 55km (34mi) on the reserve but have also run out at 30km (18mi). I am only going to guess how far I could have gone as that is something I hope to never find out. Maybe you should consider carrying an aluminum water bottle of gas with you if running on empty is something you tend to do! Our bikes are virtually unaffected by a full tank of gas so I keep mine topped up as much as possible.:hmmm:

#24 ·
Guys this is way more easy to figure out then your making it. In your manual it tells you how much of a "Reserve" you have. That is how much gas is left after this light comes on. You should all know about how much mpgs you get. The rest is easy. If you get 40mpgs and have 1 gal reserve do the math, its cake.

#25 ·
Damn, geuss I'll be pushing in a min. 15 miles to the nearest gas station and light started blinking. I get 12 to 15 miles to the gallon so the math is against me this time. I'm on a K7 GP Moto Gsxr1000 and started blinking 3 miles ago. Does anyone have the racing CPU reprogramming application for windows 10? I need it bad so I can turn down the power on this monster. She killing me in gas and it's at $7 dollars per gallon right now.

#26 ·
Wait, what? 12-15 mpg? $7 a gallon?

Where are you, and what all's done to this bike?

PS, you tagged a 10 yr old post too

#27 ·
Wasnt paying attention to the date. Just getting ready for the push to the airport. Have to put jet fuel in the tank. I dont remember the mapping system on the handle controls and its stuck in Laguna Seca raceway settings and no way of figuring out this software programming for windows 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.