Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

electrical problems / GSXR 1000 /03

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nuno1959 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys
until recently i was a VERY happy GSXR 1000/K3 owner, bought secondhand with just 5000 km on it - totally sweet !! but a while ago its electrics started playing all sorts of ''dirty tricks'', driving me nuts in the process. first was a problem with the FI which got sorted, then the exhaust valve (it wouldn't open..& the only way my mechanic got to fix it was to make it stay open - i don't know how...) & now i have this peculiar thing going : when i insert & turn the key i get that characteristic display of tach needle going around then back , fuel pump priming noise & such but sometimes such noises go on & on, other times only one of the noises happens( no pump primming noise here...) & just to get me real confused sometimes no noises at all. obviously this results in being abble to start the bike or not, depending. when riding lately i have had the added ''bonus'' of always having my neutral light on plus the side stand not killing the engine when deployed. also in the morning usually there isn't enough juice to start the bike - although it starts imediately going a few feet downhill, after riding it for a few miles it has more than enough juice to start , over & over again, no problems. also on removal of the fairing panels i found out a melted corner on a plug coming out of the rectifier ( big finned lump on the side of the seat ?..) which i insulated by applying a gob of Tech 7 mastique/silicone thingy. after finding this i thoroughly inspected EVERY contact on the electrical system, EVERY wire, fuse - you name it & finished it off by a very liberal spraying of WD40. had some corrosion on some plugs/contacts & got rid of that too.
tried to go riding the next day & same things happened.....all over again !! AAARGH"#&$* !!! just as if nothing had been done....
can anyone please shed some light here please, pretty please ? it's taking all the pleasure i have riding

although i am a reasonably adventurous/methodic/skilled newbie mechanic, when it comes to electrics my knowledge is zilch : i'm lucky to know there's a positive & a negative & that's about it.....
desperate from the south of Portugal....:headscrat

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the problem with the FI too, cost me over :headshake$1500 to get fixed, are you sure your red cut off switch is always set to on? could it be thats why you cant hear the pump? maybe something is loose..:headscrat

Also go have your battery checked, mine doesnt start sometimes and when I run with it the bitch starts right up lol might have a dead cell in the battery cuz after riding around for a bit its fine.

Also a good think to always have is a battey tender to charge ur battery all the way back up.

#3 ·
electrical problem

Sounds like your ignition switch to me, there are contacts in the bottom of the switch, there is a cover on the bottom with two security screws so if you can get those out inspect the inside of it make sure it looks good. The screws are a bit hard to get loose but I had the same symtoms and that was my problem.

#4 ·
If you look at your repair manual (bible) , it will tell you how to troubleshoot each device. You need a cheap multimeter. You'll be doing a lot of ohm tests. Ohm is the unit of measurement to test resistance. Your ECU communicates with all these devices. It could be going nuts or bad. A bad battery also screws all kinds of shit up. That melted rectifier is not a good sign. It can screw up ypur battery, overcharge your system and screw all kinds of stuff up too. I'd start with the most problematic and consisitent problems first. Good luck

#5 ·
thanks...

well guys , thanks for your help. it sure seems like i'm going to have real fun this week-end.
i think i'll start with the batery & will ''move up'' till the ignition lock, inspecting each & every connector, bit of wire , etc...
today the latest was going at around 100mph in this lovely long bend to the right, the ignition cut out engine power only to kick in again a few meters further !! needless to say i returned home at a VERY sedate pace . anyway thanks again, have a good week-end & as we say here in Portugal : boas curvas !
Nuno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.