Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Arai vs Shoei?

14K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  k2zuki 
#1 · (Edited)
I have always been an Arai fan but just saw this Shoei RF1000 yesterday and I want it. Any thoughts? Shoei looks like a great helmet now and may even be a bit better than Arai for the money. I have been having a hell of a time trying to find another Arai RX7 to replace my old one and did not want to switch it up cause I've got 8 brand new face shields in the garage for it. Thing is the cost of the new shields for the Shoei RF1100 are less than half the cost of the ones for my old RX7. The new Arai's do not use the same shield and I just do not want to spend $1000 plus on a new helmet. Can't decide! :headscrat
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?RF-1100&h=18&t=1

Attachments

See less See more
#39 ·
I agree. They are differently shaped so really you have to try on both and see which is more comfortable. They are both quality helmets.

I've always used Shoei. Just fits perfect on my big head. I snagged this one in a 2hr window on Black Friday for $429. Coincidence that I checked but glad I did simply cause I've always loved this particular design but would never in hell pay $800 for it.

Attachments

#5 ·
Ya I know what you are all saying but The Shoei is about $650 here for me and shields are about $50 each with a great assortment. They even have that great little anti fog and glare shield as a visor option. The Arai is over $800 and the shields are $150 each. This shit starts to add up. My 1st Arai was the Freddy Spencer special and it cost me a fortune 20 years ago they still cost a fortune now and the prices fluctuate so badly. Where as Shoei has kept their prices down and has created an awesome helmet. I don't know, lets see what I can find at the bike show next week end. Thanks for your input, more....?

#6 ·
Neither...........LOL

I had 2 shoei's and weren't impressed. I had the rf 900 and the rf 1000. They both used to fog up like crazy. I see they have addressed that problem. But I used to get this annoying whistle at 30 or 40 mph with the rf 1000. I stepped down to the scorpion 700 and never looked back. Very comfortable, fog free and the face shield is a breeze to remove. I have both the 700 and 400 line. The shields are interchangeable. Did I mention they are under 200!!!:thumbup: I never had an Arai so I have no experience with them.

#7 ·
I had 2 shoei's and weren't impressed. I had the rf 900 and the rf 1000. They both used to fog up like crazy. I see they have addressed that problem. But I used to get this annoying whistle at 30 or 40 mph with the rf 1000. I stepped down to the scorpion 700 and never looked back. Very comfortable, fog free and the face shield is a breeze to remove. I have both the 700 and 400 line. The shields are interchangeable. Did I mention they are under 200!!!:thumbup: I never had an Arai so I have no experience with them.
Cool, I'll have to check it out! Thanks.

#8 ·
If it fits and is comfortable than do it.. I just wish either company made a helmet that fit comfortably on my big melon. I wear an size 8 in a fitted hat and I tried a Icon XXXL Helmet on and almost couldn't get it off. :laughingr

#9 ·
Icon helmets

Yo I wanted to buy an ICON helmet in the worse way a few years ago. But when I tried the one I wanted on it hurt the back of head??? Right above the neck. It was an extra large. I tried on a few and they all did that. I was so disappointed. I luv some of their graphics.:thumbup:

#10 ·
I had an X-11 which I really liked, but Id go with Arai next. Their designs are way cooler and its great how the offer so many head shapes to get the right fit.

Hey if you wanna check some prices hit me up, I'll make you a great deal on whatever you have in mind. :thumbup:

#13 ·
I would love to find a replacement for my RX7. Like I said I have a pile of stuff for it and if it can't be used it will end up on EBay.
If not do you by any chance have the Arai Corsair V AOYAMA on sale as well in a size large? My Arai RX7RR4 has the red, yellow grey and black color scheme, the same color as my leathers and I would like to stay with that.

#12 ·
I've tried a few Shoei's Caster's on (pretty sure it was the rf1000 line)and I thought they felt pretty good but at the time I just didnt have that kind of cash to drop $400+ on a lid. They didnt have Arai's so I cant comment about them.

My first helmet was the Scorpion exo-400 and I loved it..I accidently dropped it down a flight of stairs and replaced it with a KBC Force RR. I <3 the KBC.. I now own two of the Force RR's...

#16 ·
Thanks man, at this point I can buy an Arai that will fit all of the shields I currently have on hand for about $800 US plus shipping and all the rest up here to BC. I can buy the Shoei RF1000 at my fav bike shop for $575 + tax and the shields are about $50 each (special pin shield is about $75 with $30 inserts). Noise is not an issue as I have to wear ear plugs anyway. I just want a lid to keep my scull intact in the event of a crash and want it to have functioning vents and a shield that does not fog unlike my ICON piece of :poo: I'll never buy another ICON, just not impressed with it at all. Loved my RX7, would love to get an Arai Corsair V AOYAMA, just need to take it easy on the spending right now. Looks like it might just be the Shoei.

#17 ·
If you are looking to buy a new helmet I would strongly suggest checking with riders discount my buddy payed 450 for a shoei helmet(dont member which one) that at the local shops was 899.

#19 ·
Thx! :thumbup:

#20 ·
Thx, I'm going to have to buy online or from my favorite bike shop with my good guy discount cause the so called helmet sales at the Vancouver Bike show sucked :poo: :headshake

#22 ·
Having owned both i much rather keep my Arai than my shoei. The Arai it`s definetly more comfortable(i wear glasses)...tell you what tho, stay away from Suomi light as hell but....I got it protecting the closet :lol:

#24 ·
Thanks for all of your input here guys, I've taken the plunge and bought the Arai Corsair V AOYAMA from our buddy DISCO here on this site. I'll let you know how it all ends up when it arrives. :thumbup:
I really liked so many things about the new Shoei but in the end it is not an Arai and there was a good reason why I loved mt RX7 so much.

Attachments

#31 ·
I went and tried on a Shoei X12 and an Arai (Corsair V I think?) the Shoei felt better around my cheeks than the Arai did but they were both a world of difference from my POS Scorpion. Buying a Suomy on blind faith though since nobody stocks them locally.

#33 ·
Suomy's are definitely very nice. I think I would get arrested if I wore such a flashy helmet along with what I've got going on now!:lol:

#35 ·
If you are really in the market for an Arai, PM our friend and site sponsor DISCO. He made me an offer I could not refuse. :thumbup:

#38 ·
arai helmets have different shape pending on the model. its best to go somewhere who sells them try each on. dont just buy the corsair V because its the most expensive and you assume its the best. the one that fits best is best. good choice on getting the arai over the Shoie though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.