Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

bike wont start when hot unless u push started

36K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  rv6john 
#1 ·
so like the topic says my bike will start up perfectly fine when its cool but if the temp is over i say around 200 degrees it wont start up at all the only way i can start it up is if i push start it and it will start up just fine so what the hell can be the problem it cant be the battery. but maybe im wrong just help please its annoying having to push start it every time i shut it off

#6 ·
You need to at least do some DC volt meter tests at the battery while bike is running to rule out the charging system.

and thank christ you start whining like a little girl over my sarcasm like others here do. :thumbup:

#20 ·
Well I have a friend that I might be able to swap the ecu with but Idk if he will let me. N yea the starter cranks normal its not weak so Idk but its just wierd that when I push start it starts up just fine the first time.. Agh this sucks balls thanks for helping guys hope I can get it fixed soon I'm going to put it n dealer mode tomorrow see if a code pops up I hope so that way I have a start to where to look

#28 ·
okay this thread just kinda died but i am having this same exact problem and im also looking for some help. i have a 06 750 with two bros, bazzaz fi, and a k&n and the charging system is fine i ran all the test and the battery is only a year old. just replaced the starter today didnt help. also there are no codes, reading through here i like the idea of a sensor sending a bad code making the bike think its to hot but if the temp is only reading around 200 then what sensor could it be? any help would be greatly appreciated its pretty embarassing having to push start at gas stations.

#29 ·
yeah...i've got a buddy with an 03 busa with ~85xxx miles on it that started to do this over the last 6-8 months. i don't think its had the valves checked either. starts up fine when pushed started. he has all new charging system,new starter and battery. i told him it might be valves but what do i know.

#30 ·
Ever since i moved to Phoenix I have the same issue in the summer. When my bike gets hot(above 220) if i am in traffic, or a big accident, my bike wont start up unless it cools down. I wired my fan to a manual switch so i can turn the fan on lower than 220. I havent had an issue. It will only do that if it gets above 220, and luckily that has only happened to me twice.

#34 ·
OK well i haven't been on this forum in forever but either way i still have the same problem i did end up replacing my stator rectifier and battery like 5 months ago but that did not fix this problem still have the same problem and the new thing i found out is if i turn the bike on and just let it idle until it gets over 200 degrees even at 225 degrees the bike will start up just fine it only has the problem when i actually ride it and most of the time next to a girl or something like that so its F*ckin embarrassing and annoying. im guessing it might be like the air temp sensor or somthing since there is no air affecting it when its just idling or i might be wrong im guessing i am wrong

#35 ·
makes sense, i have never just let mine sit and idol up to that temp. but i know if i just shut it off it will fire right back up but if it sits for a couple mins it wont start. everybody saying the just to open the throttle a lil bit i will have to mess with a little more. i have tried a couple times and it didnt work but i cant actually rule that out just yet. is there any way the starter clutch could have drag when hot?

#39 ·
you're losing compression when its hot. its starting with a push start because the motor is spinning much faster than with the starter and the extra rpms are needed when you have low compression. you can be losing compression from either bad piston/ piston rings or more likely from valves that are out of adjustment. when the motor is cold your valves are in spec enough to start, but once hot they become too far out of spec. the reason i say more likely than pistons or rings is because these motors can last a really long time on one top end. valves need to be adjusted yearly. do a compression test hot and cold

#44 ·
thats exactly what im saying but like i said only if its over 200 degrees and i actually rode the bike and if i leave it to idle to get to 225 degrees the bike will START right back up its pretty retarded. well im taking my bike today to a shop see what they say i hope its not just low on blinker fluid :laughingr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.