Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

168 Rear Wheel horsepower for the '08 ZX10R?

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  mr.croom 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying that I can't "officially" confirm this, but some very good sources are saying this is the number.

Unless Honda has something really powerful that they haven't disclosed, the new Ninja will be the most powerful liter bike for 2008, hands down.

Oh, it should be at least 10-15 pounds lighter too; I can't confirm that either.

*I am officially saying that this is all supposition on my part, and that the manufacturer has not said this nor made any official statement regarding final weight and horsepower numbers. Just pull this thread up when the magazines finally get a hold of this thing.;)

#2 ·
These '08 improvements are official:

I've highlighted a few parts...

4-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
- Very compact, narrow and lightweight design
- One-piece upper crankcase and cylinder casting saves more than two pounds and offers increased rigidity- Channels in the case route oil to various parts of the engine, eliminating oil lines and saving weight
- Stacked triangular layout of crank axis, input shaft and output shaft reduces engine length and lowers the center of gravity
- About two pounds cut from the engine with a lighter crankshaft that maintains the same inertial moment
- Oil pump reduction ratio refined for lower friction
- Water pump uses the same type impeller as the ZX-14 with pump rpm optimized for less friction- Lightweight Denso radiator with tightly packed cores
- Specially designed internal fins on the liquid-cooled, aluminum oil cooler for high-efficiency heat dissipation
Cylinder head
- Reshaped intake ports, exhaust ports and combustion chambers improve flow efficiency and top-end power
- Exhaust ports are narrower at the midpoint and larger at the opening
- Exhaust valves reduced in diameter from 25.5 to 24.5mm
- Cam profiles feature higher lift to deliver more power at high rpm and make it easier to tune the engine for racing
Fuel Injection
- New secondary fuel injectors improve top-end power output and power characteristics - Oval cross-sectioned throttle bodies replace the earlier round units, improve throttle response and allow more precise throttle control
- Compact flat-type fuel pump from the ’07 ZX-6R takes up less fuel tank space and permits the same tank volume despite the additional space required for the secondary injectors
Air intake
- Ram air intake duct was reshaped to reduce intake noise and further improve intake efficiency
- New larger airbox with improved accessibility and ease of maintenance
- The new oval shaped velocity stacks deliver improved flow efficiency
Ignition
- Advanced ignition management system helps curtail sudden spikes in engine speed, enhancing the rider’s control of torque delivery
- Sophisticated ECU logic based on extensive rider testing
- Monitors throttle position, gear position and rate of RPM change, then adjusts ignition advance to help regulate torque production
Exhaust system
- New exhaust system features a pre-chamber under the engine to reduce exhaust noise, and minimize silencer volume
- Palladium catalyzer ensures the ZX-10R meets Euro-III exhaust emissions standards
- Single orthogonal, titanium silencer, along with the pre-chamber, lowers the bike’s center of gravity and improves exhaust efficiency
6-Speed Transmission
- Lower 1st, 4th and 5th gear ratios to suit the new power characteristics, giving improved power feel in the low and high-rpm ranges
- Harder acceleration with an one tooth larger rear sprocket - final reduction ratio of 17/41
- Easily adjustable back-torque limiting clutch
Chassis
- Optimized stiffness balance of the unique twin-spar frame achieved by reshaping the frame’s pressed parts, replacing concave pieces with convex pieces to alleviate stress concentrations
- Wall thickness around the swingarm pivot was changed to increase rigidity
- Ribbing added on the interior of the pivot plate where it joins the frame’s upper cross member to slightly slow down the frame feedback for a more accurate feel
- Steering tube moved 10mm forward and length changed
- Relocated swingarm pivot for a slight front-rear weight balance change
Sub-frame
- Two-piece, aluminum die-casting with lightweight construction

- New narrow sub-frame layout contributes to the compact and slim rear of the bike
- Mounted to the frame’s upper cross member, so rear suspension feedback is transmitted more directly to the rider
Swingarm
- Pressed beam swingarm delivers a level of feel and feedback unobtainable with a cast swingarm
- New swingarm features a top-mounted stabilizer that contributes to the superb high-speed stability of the new chassis
Suspension
- DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) fork tube coating on the fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork improves fork action with less friction, smoother action and better road holding
- Bottom mounted springs completely submerged in oil, offer reduced frothing and improving damping performance, fork action and road-following ability
- New mounting location for the Uni-Trak® rear suspension linkage
- Fully adjustable shock now features dual (low- and high-speed) compression damping, providing the fine-tuning needed for racing
Brakes
- New Tokico radial mount brake calipers fitted with dual pads for superb initial bite, increased control and a progressive feel
- New 310mm petal discs with a 5.5mm disc thickness provide better heat dispersion so the brake feel remains constant and responsive during extended periods of heavy use
- 220mm rear petal disc is gripped by a single-piston caliper
Wheels
- New lighter yet stiffer squeeze-cast wheels feature more precise dimensions with less wall thickness than the previous gravity-cast units
Ergonomics
- Redesigned rear frame, tank and seat offer increased contact with the bike and provide the rider very accurate feedback regarding chassis performance and road surface
- More flared around its top, the new tank makes it easier for the rider to rest the inside of their arm on the tank when leaning into a turn
- New seat is narrower in the front and shorter, front to back, for a slimmer riding position, a shorter reach to the pavement and excellent feedback from the chassis
- Special rib on the end of new throttle under the grip rubber improves grip and feel
Aerodynamic Bodywork- Top of the front cowl is shorter but has a slight step at the front to reduce wind blast on the rider’s shoulders and generates a laminar flow around the rider’s helmet for less turbulence at higher speeds
- New front fender increases cooling efficiency by directing air toward the radiator
- Recess added to the top of the fuel tank to accommodate the helmet’s chin so it’s easier to tuck in behind the new, flatter windscreen
- Smaller fairing sides reduce the influence of side winds on the bike
- Redesigned mirrors with integrated turn signals and Talbot-type reflecting surfaces are easily removable, for easy track riding prep
- High mounting position of mirrors provides excellent rearward visibility and helps to minimize damage if the bike falls over
- Flush-surface of the tail’s underside reduces turbulence at the rear of the bike and ensures laminar airflow around the seat
- Larger rear inner fender keeps the bike cleaner and allows the mud flap to be smaller and less obtrusive, further improving aerodynamic qualities around the rear of the machine
- License plate holder and rear turn signals are also quickly detachable for racing
- New LED tail light makes the bike more visible to drivers and provides the final styling flourish to the evocative Ninja design
Race-quality steering damper
- Adjustable Öhlins steering damper with relief valve and twin-tube design, developed specifically for the Ninja ZX-10R is fitted as standard equipment to ensure stable damping performance even under racing conditions
Advanced Electronic Instrumentation
- Instrument cluster uses UV-blocking glass, so the LED displays are brighter and easier to read
- Multifunction odometer, tripmeter, clock and lap timer/stopwatch

#5 · (Edited)
You won't find anything yet. Horsepower numbers and final weight have not been released yet. You might find it interesting that I'm not the "only one" saying 168 rear wheel horse. An editor from a major magazine has also been quoted saying the "exact same figure" (168) about the rear wheel horse.

With a 168 horse power stock, adding an intake, exhaust, and Power Commander should have numbers at about 175 or higher with professional dyno tuning! The cam profiles have been designed to yeild more power with tuning as well.

#9 ·
You also read 168 to the wheel?

Yeah, I know the styling isn't as good as the GSXR, but is better than the new Honda. I hope the new Honda and Kawi are fast for the sake of keeping competition, because it will insure the Suzuki will be plenty powerful in future models.

About that Honda, while I hope it's quick, I don't care if it can run circles around the GSXR, the styling is gross I'll still take the Suzuki over it.

#10 ·
I'm not so sure I'd get one just because of that. I really like the look of the current ZX-10R, but the new one I'm not so sure; the exhaust is ugly and the front end is not as good looking as the Suzuki. Sure, this thing is going to be fast, but I still think I'd rather have a 2008 GSXR 1000 in one of the new bad ass color schemes, install a Taylor made exhaust to drop 20 pounds of weight, and do an intake with a Power Commander; as this set up with dyno tuning is going to be close to 170 at the wheel, be really light, and look way better than all the other liter bikes.

I was really thinking about the new ZX-10R, but after looking at the new paint schemes of he '08's, and knowing the performance potentials, I think "for me" that the best bike in '08 is the GSXR 1K...but that's just me. :cool:

#12 ·
No doubt, the bike looks great!

Little bit of math ... you can lose 15hp in transmission, and there should be at least 175hp on GSXR 1000 K7 crank without ram-air effect. So that's 160+ (say 163 for example) hp on rear wheel.

So the estimated new ZX10 168hp is not much surprising to me...as Ninja was traditionally the most wicked (and unbalanced)

#13 ·
I've got one coming in the first part of January....can hardly wait! Akropovic installed a full system and claims 185 RWHP....Holey moley! I don't care what the HP rating is.....I just want my damn bike....I'm keeping my GIX too...Can never have too many bikes:thumbup:

#18 ·
Yep. Those are converters, and the new ZX10R has a three chamber exhaust canister too. I hope its easy to gut the converter out of that stepped titanium header............:chucks:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.