Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Possibly a new GSXR 600 Owner

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  muffinman 
#1 ·
I have been riding for 3 years now. Started out on a Suzuki SV650S. Last summer a car pulled out in front of my wife (on her Ninja 500) and me (on my SV) without being able to see past the bus stopped in front of her. Needless to say, we totaled the bikes. We have since purchased a 2006 Ninja 650R for my wife and we have both been riding that. I am shopping around and I test rode a 2012 GSXR 600 and was extremely impressed with the handling characteristics. I am going to look at a 2006 today or tomorrow that I will likely purchase.

The one thing I did not like about the bike when I rode it was that it seemed cramped compared to other sports bikes. I am 6' 215 lbs. I think if I do purchase it, I am likely going to raise the clip ons slightly and put on some new rearsets to move the riding position up slightly. I think that will help with fit.

I am a little worried about the forum here after reading some of the threads (specifically the ones about whether or not the 600/750/1000 is good for new riders). Seems like there are quite a few squids around here and people that in general ride way too aggressively on the streets on bikes they are not skilled enough to handle properly and give the rest of us bad names. Did I just get a poor sampling? I am an AGATT rider that will occasionally crack 100 mph on an open straightaway with no cars around and I plan to get some track riding in this year as well. I just think anyone who actually thinks a 600 cc sport bike is not powerful enough for the street and they need to go get a liter bike is an idiot. Oh well, hopefully I just got the wrong impression about the majority around here!

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to hear that both you and yoru wife made it away from the accident in one piece. In the spring time there usually are A LOT more squid on the forums who think a gsxr 600 is to small of a bike, i wish i had kept mine. There are a lot of people on here who promate ATGATT and hit the track as much as possible.

You said that you were thinking of raising the rearsets? If you do that it will give the bike a more aggressive feel to it, you'll be better off lowering them an inch. There is somewhere that actualyl sells a bracket that lowers the stock ones an inch or so.

#3 ·
Well that is good to hear that there are plenty of sensible riders on here. I am all about going fast and pushing the bike to its limits but in the appropriate places of course. As far as the rearsets go, I didnt say I was going to raise them just put new ones on. I want to move the riding position a little more upright. Havent done a ton of research on it yet since I dont have the bike but that bracket is nice to know about. Lowering them an inch with maybe a 2 inch rise in the clip ons might be perfect. I will do some more research once I decide to buy the bike. I am checking it out tonight.

#5 ·
This is the one Im looking at. I am also paying cash. No interest in financing and I definitely wouldnt buy new. I dont buy new cars or motorcycles because of the value loss as soon as its not new any more. The only way I would is if it was unavailable used or they had made major upgrades I didnt want to do without.

Attachments

#10 ·
Yea that is how I felt but the bike was just so nice to ride that hopefully I can mod it to make it more comfortable.

Exactly why I can't do it lol. I'm 23 with 3 speeding ticket's on my record from my teen year's. :headshake
Im 27 and have a clean record but it is still 2 or 3 times as much as a standard. Plus, if I do any damage to the bike, Im likely to repair it myself rather than pay a $500 deductible and increased rates. The only thing is I wont have theft insurance. Might install lo jack or something to remedy that.

#12 ·
Welcome to the site. Yeah, you definitely got the wrong impression of the general population around here. Good gear and responsible habits are the expected norm...that and a very healthy amount of ball busting. Good luck with the purchase & enjoy the site.

#15 ·
Well it might not work out. When I went to see the bike, the battery was dead and need to be jumped. The rear tire is going to need to be replaced soon. The bike was said to have 16k on it an it has 18k on it. I asked him to knock a few hundred off the price for those and he is refusing to.

#18 ·
$5575 but that inludes tax, tag, title, inspection and a warranty on the bike for 30 days. I still dont think Im going to find a better deal. I have been watching the market around here for months. He said he the battery will be covered under warranty so if it dies after he recharges it, he will replace it. I am going to go ahead and get it. Its clean and runs well.

#19 ·
Brought the bike home yesterday. I am putting new tires on and doing an oil change over the weekend but so far, I am extremely happy with the bike. I need some tank grips though. Its hard to keep myself from sliding forward too far. Any other recommended mods?

#20 ·
Welcome to the world of GSXR! Bike looks good, for starters, I'd invest in some sliders (just in case) and if you don't like the levers, look into the ASV C5's (IMO, the adjustments are awesome and they look great!).

#21 ·
Sliders are already on the way. I got some T-Rex sliders. Havent seen much on here about them but I had them on my SV and they held up great during my crash last year. I have never used anything but stock levers so I guess I dont know the difference so they have never really mattered to me that much. Might consider them eventually though. Thanks for the input!

#24 ·
No its a warranty he gives himself. He owns the shop and sells used bikes out of there on occassion.

The dealership doesn't give you new tires?

I thought they had too lol. They gave me new tires on my 04 750 and the speech along with new tires.

nice bike, lets get some more pics!:thumbup:
Not really a dealership. Just a shop that sells used bikes occasionally. Not a big deal though. I will get some more pictures up once I finish everything on the bike. I just installed LED strip lights Saturday. The tires will be here today.

#26 ·
I am a little worried about the forum here after reading some of the threads (specifically the ones about whether or not the 600/750/1000 is good for new riders). Seems like there are quite a few squids around here and people that in general ride way too aggressively on the streets on bikes they are not skilled enough to handle properly and give the rest of us bad names. Did I just get a poor sampling? I am an AGATT rider that will occasionally crack 100 mph on an open straightaway with no cars around and I plan to get some track riding in this year as well. I just think anyone who actually thinks a 600 cc sport bike is not powerful enough for the street and they need to go get a liter bike is an idiot. Oh well, hopefully I just got the wrong impression about the majority around here!
There's always a few rotten eggs on these types of forums; you just need to develop selective hearing ;) .. FWIW, I'm very similar to you in terms of experience and riding style. Best of luck with your purchase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.