Knocking noise at low RPM's??? : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
titleiststud
Squid

Default Knocking noise at low RPM's???

Hey all, I've got a 2005 750 all stock other than 190 rear tire and yoshi exhaust. Lately I've been hearing a knock when I let out the clutch in first and move about 10 feet. It will also knock below 5k rpm in almost every gear and i can feel it in my left footpeg. It doesn't sound like an engine knock bc its a little louder than that and not very rapid, maybe one knock per second, if that often. I have had no effects on my performance and the knock goes away if i open the throttle more and completely goes away about 5k rpm. Do you guys have any ideas as to what this could be? I'm stumped. Also, I tightened my chain thinking that it could have been the problem, but that didn't solve it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
titleiststud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Mister Tee
Shot Caller

It sounds like a drive train noise - it's possible that you could have your chain too tight, or the chain may have some seized links, or your rear wheel alignment might be off.

Put your bike on a stand, and see if something is clicking or binding when you rotate the wheel by hand.
Mister Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
titleiststud
Squid

I turned the bike off and rolled it through a parking lot and it doesnt make the noise. I really have no idea what this could be. Chain is within tightness specs and the wheel alignment is good.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
firebrand
Novice

Pretty new bike for this type of damage, but maybe big-end bearing? Good indication of this if you hear the knock on deceleration.
firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
titleiststud
Squid

It's only on acceleration and hasn't been doing it since i lubed my chain up really good. Most of the time it starts to happen when the bike it hot or ive been riding it for a while.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
cbreater
Racer

It's probably the chain binding. How many miles are on it? I usually get chains to make it around 20k before it becomes an issue, but I clean and lube it fairly regular. My chain did the same thing when it was dying though, lube it and it would be fine for 300 miles or so and then start binding again. New chain and binding goes away as does the "knocking".
cbreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
lude
Rider

What's the play on the chain like? It could just as easily be slapping against the frame.
lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement