Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

gsxr1100 idles but dies when reved

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deanozx10r 
#1 ·
hi just bought gsxr1100 96 . it idles ok but when you get past 1/4 throttle it just dies.have cleaned carbs and still the same.some one has had a go at fixing it by restricting the air cleaner with tape witch lets it rev up but has no top end.have removed the tape and found that if i cover the intake with my hand when reving then remove it revs well.where do i start looking with these carbs

#2 ·
I would start first with checking Ur idle, when the bike is in idle where does it rev up to? Mines did the same before I would let it rev its fine give it a lil throttle it would die on me cuz revs where dropping to low after reving it up. Now when sitting in idle I have my revs up too 1500 rpms but u can put it between 1300-1500rpms

#3 ·
First did it do this before you cleaned the carbs??? If not then its something you did. Go back threw it and see if something is out of place. Like maybe the rubber on the slide is out if the lip and leaking air. Or some thing is out of adjustment, did you mess with the air/fuel screws?? After all thats looked at sync the carbs. Some other ideas is the jetting proper for the settup you have, that comes to mind with you restricting the air flow to the air box. Check you spark plugs for color, if there really dark almost black thats bad way to rich. If everything is right your plugs should look golden brown. Hope this helps some!!

#4 ·
hi have tryed the ilde hi and low no difference.and yes was doing this before i cleaned the carbs, have balanced the carbs and still no better. removed the air box and run it and notised that the slides all flatter when it starts to die above idle,is this vavle timing,have cheaked vavle timing and is set up right but looks like the chain is streaced a bit not shour if that would be enough.

#5 ·
I've just had a very similar problem with mine. It would start, with a struggle, but wouldn't rev at all. My garage reckoned it was fuel, drained the tank and carbs, and refuelled. She was better but not great, am now on my 3rd tank of best quality fuel and she is slowly getting better.
Good luck.

#6 ·
If you have an after market exhaust + k&n filter on it check to see if your jets are stock or not. Not enough fuel will do this but also to much fuel will to. Also check to see if you have any air leaks anywhere like carb boots or the rubber on top the slides(I dont remember what its called). If some of your vacume hoses are dry rotted replace them. This one might sound not like it but check your needles and seats, if you can see a ring around the needle its probably shot. If thats the case then fuel will just dump into the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.