Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

04 1K Clutch Cush Mod How To.

13K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  busdriver 
#1 · (Edited)
Posting this Mod in the drag race section because it is specific to the sport...

First vid is how to swap a stock clutch in case you missed it...

The second vid is how to install a Brocks Cush Mod on my 2004 Gsxr 1000....

Clutch Swap - Start to finish...:thumbup:

Cush Mod install starting with an empty basket... Includes cable adjustment...

#5 ·
Yes it is an improvement, broke into the 1.50s a few times with 1.60s being the norm, clutch seems to work more consistently...

I was going through spells of that buckin crap (with the stock set-up) and believe me you that has got to be hard on parts... This mod was the recommended solution from a few different sources so I tried it...

I could still ride the bike more efficiently (clutch work especially) but I lose my freakin mind once I smell smoke...:D

Ultimately this is a crutch to try an make a clutch do something it wasn't designed to do... There are much better options, at a price of course, but they compromise streetability and until I decide to make it track only that's what I get....

#12 · (Edited)
Well.. its a highly technical process of not leaving set on "Kill" , just kinda leaving a little harder than a stop light (ET race launch). Now set on "Kill" the bike will wheelie and shit but I tend to go a little quicker. Sooo.. leaving like I'm racing and not playing has netted about 1.5 - 2 tenth ET wise, since the winter upgrades. I have not had a chance to go out and try the Kill setting yet :) Trying to catch the points leader, I'm in third now. SWB is not helping my consistancy.

#15 ·
The clutch mod for an 06' is a bit different as far as the hardware that you install but the procedure will be similar.

As far as street-ability under normal riding/commuting it should be a non-issue.

If you are a twisty lover it could have some undesired effects charging into a corner as it alters the back torque limiter characteristics.

Overall I don't think you'll be disappointed as it will extend the clutch life and performance at the strip.....

#16 ·
ok thanks... also talkin to a few ppl i heard some say that the gsxr plate where good.. but use brocks springs..
whats ur opinion? or is it just better to order the brocks one?

#22 ·
def used this video... didn't realize it was the one from youtube.. last nite was using it!! thanks bro!!:thumbup:

#24 ·
(BUSSSSSSSDRIVVVVEEEEERRRRRR)

Hey guys I am replacing my clutch plates and fiber..

The smooth side of the steel plates faces inward or outward towards you?

The clutch fiber has little numbers written on it. Do they faces inward or out towards u?

The Clutch Washer ring- the curved part faces inward or out towards you?
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...GSXR600/CLUTCH #14 is what im talking about.

All the clutch fibers goes in the same way til the last one goes in the middle of all the others? Right? This is on K5 600.. what the manual says. OR just I put the last clutch fiber like the other clutch fibers?

I hope someone understands my question.

#25 ·
Let me clarify that the clutch set-ups that I am most familiar with are the zuk liter bikes... The procedures I demonstrate in the video are specific to the 04' 1K, that doesn't mean that they don't apply to other model/years.

Basically I am saying that although the video was meant to be helpful you must reference a service manual for your specific year, make and model. The info you are looking for should be in there with pictures and specs, they are a wonderful tool.

All that being said get a service manual read up on the clutch info that is in there... Use the videos to help you understand what your looking at and you will be a better gear head for it...

Some of your questions are a bit confusing so I would be willing to hash them out over the phone if you pm your number.... Good luck...:thumbup:

#28 ·
Ok, Take the spring washer and lay it on a flat surface one way it will make a bowl the other way it will make a dome... If it is like the 04 1k then place it in the basket with the bottom of your imaginary bowl in toward the motor....

Start watching the video I am linking at the 14 minute mark and I go over it... I believe I reference it again later in the video... DO NOT go by the cush mod video as it is the opposite orientation...

#30 · (Edited)
Yes. no clutch mod.. just freshing up... When i lay it flat and When i put it in. I put the white marking facing inward

When i lay it like a dome the marking in on top. So I had the white marking you see in the pic going in toward the motor.

Thanks BusDriver!

I subbed u on youtube. Im Lightningmas

#33 ·
I can see why that might be confusing... Good eye/ear tho...

The clutch I removed had an extra steel in it for drag racing purposes. This increased (taller) the overall height of the clutch pack so with that steel removed decreasing (shorter) the stack height it caused the lower pusher rod adjustment to be out too far... Hope that makes sense...

You should always re-adjust the pusher rod/cable assembly when you replace or even work on the clutch just to be sure it is within spec....

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.