Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

GSXR 600/750 cold start ((my overview & possible solutions)).

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Jarhead75 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

I was recently busy on my job, life and important stuff --- and couldn't write down here how I was dealing with my bike issues.

GSXR-600 K6, always serviced and broken-in by dealer. never been raced\\wheelies etc..

Basically there are 2 main problems I encountered @ 11000 miles.

1. Charging System problems such as fried rectifier/wiring/etc..
2. Cold Start problem (motor dies after few seconds and hard to start without throttle && smelly exhaust cuz running rich && different temperature ~ extra after restart).

Firstly I will start with the charging problems, it started @ 9000 miles with sudden empty battery :shifty..

there was no charging voltage while bike is idling, and stator was fine. . but the rectifier seemed to be dead.

I changed the R/R and the bike went sweet for extra hunderd mile. But the bike died and turned out there was the charging problem again:funny:.

Turned out the stator failed this time, I pulled out the stator and it was overhaul((2 windings were completly fried)).

So I got new stator and R/R.

Finally, cold starting problems started on my bike when I adjusted the idle speed, when I got it back to ~1350 rpms it seemed to solve the problem.

But after few days the cold start problem appeared again!.. I used seafoam and the problem z gone!.

Now I'm scracthing my head wondering what's going on!!

could it be my spark plugs?? I just changed them last month.

I hope that you guys share some ideas about these problems..

See less See more
#7 ·
I just had this cold start problem today. I got off work at 1:30 this afternoon and it was about 70 outside. I started the bike and it was struggling to stay running then died. I tried starting it again and it took a few rotations and fired up but I had to give light throttle to keep it running. It smelled real rich but a little oil smell also.
I am kind of irritated because I just bought the bike last month and this is the 2nd problem.

I will wait to see what some of the guru's have to say about this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.