Motor Oil Type For Gsxr 750 '04 : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
dbozam
Squid

Default Motor Oil Type For Gsxr 750 '04

HELP ME?!

I AM FIXING MY BIKE TODAY BY REPLACING HTE STATOR COVER AND ALL THE OIL IS GONE... WHAT TYPE of oil DO I NEED TO BUY TONIGHT TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING AGAIN? I can't find my chilton's manual and would like to get this done.
dbozam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
onedownfiveup
Pro Racer

If you don't have access to any motorcycle oil and you want to get it running by tonight, you can purchase car oil such as castral and stuff. I'd run 10w40.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
dbozam
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedownfiveup View Post
If you don't have access to any motorcycle oil and you want to get it running by tonight, you can purchase car oil such as castral and stuff. I'd run 10w40.
so I ran into some trouble after filling the engine w/ car (non-synthetic) oil (the battery was dead) so now I need to decide what to do.

I can drain it out and replace the oil with some better type but I guess I need to know what is the best type?

10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil or
10w40 non-synthetic motorcycle oil?

I live in Massachusetts and I'll be riding it in the cold.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
vwsteve
Rider

your battery being dead would not have much to do with the oil put in the bike, But whatever you do don't jump it with a car that is running. I would use the syn motor cycle oil if it avaliable (should be at most parts stores) and 10w40 is what I run year round so the weight would be fine. Stay away from syn car oils as they can cause clutch problems. I have read people use shell rotella without any problems and you can get it at walmart.
Steve
vwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
dbozam
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsteve View Post
your battery being dead would not have much to do with the oil put in the bike, But whatever you do don't jump it with a car that is running. I would use the syn motor cycle oil if it avaliable (should be at most parts stores) and 10w40 is what I run year round so the weight would be fine. Stay away from syn car oils as they can cause clutch problems. I have read people use shell rotella without any problems and you can get it at walmart.
Steve
thanks for the info; I understand the dead battery was unrelated, I was just remarking that, because I now have more time to get better oil, I will do so.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
vwsteve
Rider

mis read that, gotch and good luck also welcome the the board.
Steve
vwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
dbozam
Squid

so I found my manual; it specifies that an '04-'05 GSXR 750 should take SF or SE motor oil 10W-40. It does not say specifically that motorcycle oil should be used nor does it specify synthetic vs. regular. I also do not know whether SG or other grades of oil would be better. I probably ought to read an oil guide but, for the benefit of others, perhaps somebody could provide some input.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
twowheelwerkz
Novice

motorcycle oils are recommended cause of the high rpms motorcycles turn compare to oil, i use Lucas synthetic motorcyle oil, but have used mobile1 synthetic car oil for yaers with no problems.
twowheelwerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement