Just removed my SET valve : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Xtreme Rider
Rider

Default Just removed my SET valve

Wow what a difference. Took me a whole 15 minutes to do and the idle sound is outstanding. Much deeper. Also sounds louder while riding. I still have the stock exhaust on my bike (06 GSXR 600) and it sounds like an aftermarket pipe. It has that deep tone to it now. And the throttle response is also a big difference. A lot quicker. I still want a M4 pipe though. But I do have one question if anyone can answer it. When my bike is running with the valve all the way open now it seems to have a different smell to the exhaust fumes? Can anyone tell me what that smell is. I am thinking it is just the debri burning off in the pipe cause its not used to being all the way open like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
gsxr750dude
Rider

where is the SET valve? i dk bout ur question bout the smell tho, if it smells like when u were breaking it in i would say its prolly the same... but i dk... im just wondering where the valve is? is it on the muffler itself?
gsxr750dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Xtreme Rider
Rider

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98240

This thread tells you all about it and where its at and how to remove it with pictures. Its on the right side of the bike behind the lower fairing and it has two metal wires going to them. Its a emissions valve that doesn't let your pipe open all the way up.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
ohsix750
Naked

here's my question.. when you clip that #30 wire to get rid of the FI light that comes on when you remove the SET valve, will this keep the FI light from coming on if somethin else is wrong with the bike that would normally trigger it?

Yoshi R-55 - BMC Race - PCIII
520 (-1, +2) - 8000k HID - JSD Pro TRE Elim
Carbon Fiber
ohsix750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
brent2743
Racer

the weird exhaust smell may be your bike is running rich but im not sure
-EBC HH Pads-
-PC 3-
-shit im broke-
brent2743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Xtreme Rider
Rider

No when you clip the #30 wire it only serves for one purpose which is the SET valve. People have done tests on it and I have as well. I have pulled all other sensors I could get my hands on and the codes still came up. The F1 light will work for every other problem that may persist. Clipping the #30 wire does not shut down F1 light for everything else.

And I only have 600 miles on my bike, just finished breaking it in this past week. I know what it smells like and its not the bike running rich. I have heard other people talking about the smell to and it seems as though it is just from the pipe not used to always being open so it leaves room for things to got through the pipe and then exit it. Just debris I am thinking
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
rbsinger4
Rider

I am thinking of doing this mod. Does anyone see any negatives from performing this. Is there any loss in low, mid, or high end power from removing the valve.

99 gixxer 600
06 gixxer 750
rbsinger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
H0useofz
Rider

will this void warenty?
H0useofz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Xtreme Rider
Rider

All plus's. Trust me I have done my research before I started taking parts off my bike.

All plus's. Guys ran a dyno and it ran 2HP more. Ran both with and without the SET valve and Dyno cam back with more power without the SET valve.

The only reason Suzuki put it on there was for emission reasons only.

Throttle response is faster
Deeper sound when idle and through the low RPMs
+2hp
-2lbs off total bike weight
Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Vengeance
Pro Racer

I finally pulled my #30 pin after 14,000+ miles of my FI light being on b/c this valve is such a POS...

I nearly shed a tear when the light went away. That light had become part of my bike and now it is gone ...
Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
usmarinehere
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
I finally pulled my #30 pin after 14,000+ miles of my FI light being on b/c this valve is such a POS...

I nearly shed a tear when the light went away. That light had become part of my bike and now it is gone ...
My f*cking FI light comes on and off when it wants. Its a love/hate relationship.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." Mark Twain Dec. 2, 1887
usmarinehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
ohsix750
Naked

I was on the fence about this until I saw this thread.. good post

OWNED!

Carbon Fiber
Old 05-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #13
luvx77x8o4
Novice

i did this mod also...at idle it is louder and lower rpms the bike is more responsive. i also took out the charcoal canister and removed the evap...i noticed that the bike starts way better after sitting in the sun....before the evap removal i had a hard time getting the bike started.

i didnt cut #30...i just used some needle nosed plyers to pull it out just in case i need to put it back in i can always push it back in.
luvx77x8o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #14
Xtreme Rider
Rider

Yea I left my wire too. I just popped it out. Just in case you may need it incase of a warranty problem. Im glad this thread helped you decide to rip it out, cause the SET is GARBAGE
Old 05-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
pimppapa1977
Racer

Default set

Def garbage i pulled my shit out last week.Sounds and feels so much better!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #16
jay06gixxer
Racer

how did you all determine the right wire???what color is it. i see its wire 30, but how you know which row is row 1, and which is row 2? you can look at it 2 ways...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #17
Crynus
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay06gixxer View Post
how did you all determine the right wire???what color is it. i see its wire 30, but how you know which row is row 1, and which is row 2? you can look at it 2 ways...
if you do a search you can find pics of it, but i beleive its its the 5th wire from the end and its brown with a black tracer.
Crynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #18
MITSUFINMGR
Pro Racer

I did the same thing , no more FI light Did everyone else take the actuater out of the tail section to I did just wondering ?
I asked the dealer if it would void the warranty he went out to the shop and talked to a mechanic came back in and said no but I'm sure that story will change in the future if it comes back to bite them .
1st row has a 1 on it and the second row has a #17 on it can't miss it

Code name 'Kisss the Bunny'

B Safe on One or Two Wheels
MITSUFINMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
pimppapa1977
Racer

fifth from the end black n brown!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
Smokin80
Racer

What do you guys think about doing this to a K7 1000...is it the same? I def be up for a little louder idle and some more bottom end throttle response.

Thanks for the info....
Smokin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #21
question.com
Pro Racer

gonna hav eto try this on my boys new bike
Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #22
Smokin80
Racer

Does this cause low low end stumble or anything like that?? My buddys CBR1000 has it removed and he has a big hole around 2500-3000rpm. Ill probably just make it stick open without removing everything and see what i think i guess...trial and error. LOL
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #23
ohsix750
Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay06gixxer View Post
if you look very closely when you have the ECU unplugged.. you can see little numbers on the sides of the rows of wires.. theres a 1 and a 18 on the left and a 17 and a 34 on the right.. just looks closer, it's pretty much idiot-proof.. you can't really mess anything up if you take your time

Carbon Fiber
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #24
Xtreme Rider
Rider

No it doesn't create any hole in the rpms. I actually just got home from my first ride since I have had everything off. The power it for sure noticable. The throttle is a lot quicker in reponding. There is no gap or no waiting period like there was before when you opened the throttle. I pulled a wheelie out of 1st gear and theres another place where you will notice the SET valve gone. Since the throttle response is a lot quicker it makes it a lot easier pulling that front wheel up real fast. I was in first and only at 2500 RPM and pulled it up with out a problem just doing a power wheelie
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #25
Smokin80
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Rider View Post
No it doesn't create any hole in the rpms. I actually just got home from my first ride since I have had everything off. The power it for sure noticable. The throttle is a lot quicker in reponding. There is no gap or no waiting period like there was before when you opened the throttle. I pulled a wheelie out of 1st gear and theres another place where you will notice the SET valve gone. Since the throttle response is a lot quicker it makes it a lot easier pulling that front wheel up real fast. I was in first and only at 2500 RPM and pulled it up with out a problem just doing a power wheelie
WOW....is that on a 600...2500rpm power wheelie...i should be able to pull up from idle with a 1000 then...LOL.

I will definetely be doing this mod tonight when i get home from work. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #26
SamIamNYC
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarinehere View Post
My f*cking FI light comes on and off when it wants. Its a love/hate relationship.
its funny i have a red gsxr600 my damn light comes on and off too! i hate that thing!
SamIamNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #27
novakane
Pro Racer

Quote:

rofl

i had to snip/remove that wire wheni put my exhaust on. if you snip the wire and the FI light comes on, that means you did the wrong on :P uhoh.. make sure you FLIP the wiring harness around when looking for that wire other wise the color wont match up and you'll get the wrong one. i think its black with brown stripe on an 07?

www.stuntjuice.com/novakane
novakane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #28
Vengeance
Pro Racer

My valve was disabled a long long time ago, the wire was just never pulled. I finally got around to doing my plugs, and I was like OH THAT WIRE, TIME TO DIE!!!!!!!!

The best part is I had it in to the dealer like 4 times and they couldn't fix it even with the valve on there. That SET valve is such a POS, I'd like to blow up the SET factory.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #29
Mister Tee
Shot Caller

SET is an acronym that stands for "Suzuki Exhaust Tuning." In theory, the valve is supposed to decrease the effective length of the exhaust headers by creating more backpressure, lowering the RPM at which the exhaust system performes the most scavenging, and hence torque. It's supposed to be closed at low RPM's for increased low end torque, and open up at high RPM's to move the torque band back up the RPM range.

This isn't a new concept - these have been used on bikes (and cars) in the past. They have nothing to do with emissions at all.

Some people report that removing the valve on the newer Suzukis decreases low end torque, and some don't.
Mister Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #30
Vengeance
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Tee View Post
SET is an acronym that stands for "Suzuki Exhaust Tuning." In theory, the valve is supposed to decrease the effective length of the exhaust headers by creating more backpressure, lowering the RPM at which the exhaust system performes the most scavenging, and hence torque. It's supposed to be closed at low RPM's for increased low end torque, and open up at high RPM's to move the torque band back up the RPM range.

This isn't a new concept - these have been used on bikes (and cars) in the past. They have nothing to do with emissions at all.

Some people report that removing the valve on the newer Suzukis decreases low end torque, and some don't.
They should have done 2 things to get people to not take out or disable this valve...

#1 - Make it functional, not something that breaks on 1 out of 3 600s and isn't fixable by the dealer.

#2 - Make the dealer aware they need to replace the valve itself to fix the problem, because the valves were manufactured in such a way that adjusting the cable will never fully fix the problem.

Anyone I know who actually got the dealer to replace the whole valve has had no problems since.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #31
WoodShoe
Racer

I just did this mod, ...fairly simple.. it did smell kind of funny for the first little bit. But i rode around in it all day and its fine. 2 things i noticed. Although the throttle response might be a bit better, it did lose low rpm gumpshon. How do I know this u ask? Friend of mine has a stock gixxer exactly like mine, and we did some low rpm high gear pulls (3rd at 40km/h, 5th at 60km/h ect.) .....under all these pulls the bike is in a bit of a 'bog condition' so its easy to tell which bike is faster since it has nothing to do with the skill of the rider...his bike pulled on mine about 2 bike lengths by the time we started winding out to 10k....

Will I keep this mod? Depends on how it does topend....havent really tested that yet, but it does seem to kick in nicely after 11k.......
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #32
Smokin80
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
I just did this mod, ...fairly simple.. it did smell kind of funny for the first little bit. But i rode around in it all day and its fine. 2 things i noticed. Although the throttle response might be a bit better, it did lose low rpm gumpshon. How do I know this u ask? Friend of mine has a stock gixxer exactly like mine, and we did some low rpm high gear pulls (3rd at 40km/h, 5th at 60km/h ect.) .....under all these pulls the bike is in a bit of a 'bog condition' so its easy to tell which bike is faster since it has nothing to do with the skill of the rider...his bike pulled on mine about 2 bike lengths by the time we started winding out to 10k....

Will I keep this mod? Depends on how it does topend....havent really tested that yet, but it does seem to kick in nicely after 11k.......

Was this on a 600??? id assume it would be different on a 1000
6000K HID's
Michelin PP's
TRE
11000km so far....loving every second of it
Old 05-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #33
jay06gixxer
Racer

I did this in only a half hour! Very simple! And damn the front end comes up pretty easy, cause as soon as you hit the throttle its there!!! No more small hesitation!! LOVE IT! I made a video, I will post later, on how much different it sounds, it really sounds like its choking with the set vavle on!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 AM   #34
WoodShoe
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin80 View Post
Was this on a 600??? id assume it would be different on a 1000
Yes this was on a 600. I also didnt notice a big change in the sound.....it is a little bit more throaty, but not much different than it was.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #35
GSXRREV600
Novice

There sure are a lot of different opinions on this one...

Keep coming in with the updates guys

Ryan
GSXRREV600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #36
VR6POWER
Rider

i just took mine off last night. i left all of the stuff in there just in case i didnt like it. but i defenitly heard a difference in the sound of the exhaust but i havent had a chance to ride it yet. it was raining so i will take it out today and let you know what my experience was with it.
VR6POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #37
Mister Tee
Shot Caller

Quote:
They should have done 2 things to get people to not take out or disable this valve...

#1 - Make it functional, not something that breaks on 1 out of 3 600s and isn't fixable by the dealer.

#2 - Make the dealer aware they need to replace the valve itself to fix the problem, because the valves were manufactured in such a way that adjusting the cable will never fully fix the problem.

Anyone I know who actually got the dealer to replace the whole valve has had no problems since.
Agreed.
Mister Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #38
VR6POWER
Rider

i ended up taking the bike out today. i had a couple of questions. so i didnt take it all the way out because i didnt know if i was going to like it or not but when i was riding i saw the F1 in the temp gauge which i know thats normal but is the red light supposed to be on. the one right next to the temp gauge or does that mean something else. also what are the effects of running your bike with to much oil in it. if some one could help me out that would be awsome. thanks
VR6POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #39
Xtreme Rider
Rider

Yes the F1 light and the red light next to it is supposed to be on. Hense the reason for cutting the #30 wire in the ECU.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #40
WoodShoe
Racer

Talking

Yesterday, after I did those top gear low rev pulls against my buddy (and lost) I replaced the long velocity stacks with short ones (just the OEM ones, i purchased at the dealer) We did a few more runs, same as before. (one gear pulls without shifting from 4K-14k) My bike got back all the bottom end, and now pulls on him through the whole RPM range. By the time we hit 10-11k, im already leading by a good 50ft : .... I was pretty much ready to put that exhaust flap back in operation until I did this mod.... I would definately recomend doing both of these mods simultanously...next up is the TRE, and a dyno tune....Thankx for the info guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement