clutch grabbing : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
jimguyer
Novice

Default clutch grabbing

HI guys,
I've got a 2004 1000 with 21000 miles. For awhile, maybe the last 5000 miles I'm not 100% sure, when I start off slow, with some revs but slow clutch engagement, sometimes the clutch makes a sudden hard grab, with a real strange whiny grinding noise, and a thud when it engages, and of course a nice lurch of the bike. Then all is fine. Might be a week or more before it does it again, or maybe next light. Lever is adjusted fine, engage/disengage points are fine. No other clutch issue that I have noticed. Any ideas? Time for a new clutch? Everything or just plates?

Last edited by jimguyer; 09-27-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
jimguyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
GSXR Loki
Rider

Springs are going going gone, may as well change the plates while your at it.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
jimguyer
Novice

WELL...I replaced the clutch and springs with a Barnet unit, and adjusted it properly. Clutch is stiffer (yuk), and the problem didn't go away. In fact it is worse. It is much much easier to make happen..I can make it happen every time i start off from a stop, it grabs much more often, but it doesn't grab as harshly. It feels like it's "fluttering"... grab-slip-grab-slip-grab-slip...until I finish the release. Again, it makes this funny whiny-grinding sound while grabbing, and the bike lurches with each grab. Any more advice? I'm running synthetic oil...

Last edited by jimguyer; 04-06-2008 at 05:16 AM.
jimguyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
RobbyBoy32
Rider

I had a similar problem. I switched back to conventional oil and made sure the oil bottle said NON energy conserving under the API service standards. Try flushing the oil out twice with the conventional stuff and see what happens before you do anymore serious work.
RobbyBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
jimguyer
Novice

Well, problem is now solved. First, along with the extra effort from the stiffer springs, shifting got much harder too, as if there was excessive friction in the clutch even with the lever pulled in (and yes, I checked the adjustments).
Here is what I did:
1) pulled it all apart again
2) did some light filing along the edges of the hub and basket to smooth out the gouges a bit. They weren't bad, but this filing can't be a bad thing
3) bought a zx10 clutch cushion at the local kawasaki dealer, installed it as the first steel in place of the suzuki rings
4) assembled it up...since the kaw cushion is thicker than the suzuki steel, it was too tall. so I removed one fiber from the middle of the stack. now goes fiber-cushion-fiber-steel-f-s-f-s-f-s-s-f-s-f-s-f-s-f. Since the steels dont slip relative to each other, I figure this would be OK, and keep me right about at specified stackup height.
5) used the stock springs
6) filled it up with non-synthetic oil

And it all works great. No judder, grab, bark. Great, smooth controllable engagement no matter how I do it. And the shift effort is back to what it should be.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
balls deep
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimguyer View Post
Well, problem is now solved. First, along with the extra effort from the stiffer springs, shifting got much harder too, as if there was excessive friction in the clutch even with the lever pulled in (and yes, I checked the adjustments).
Here is what I did:
1) pulled it all apart again
2) did some light filing along the edges of the hub and basket to smooth out the gouges a bit. They weren't bad, but this filing can't be a bad thing
3) bought a zx10 clutch cushion at the local kawasaki dealer, installed it as the first steel in place of the suzuki rings
4) assembled it up...since the kaw cushion is thicker than the suzuki steel, it was too tall. so I removed one fiber from the middle of the stack. now goes fiber-cushion-fiber-steel-f-s-f-s-f-s-s-f-s-f-s-f-s-f. Since the steels dont slip relative to each other, I figure this would be OK, and keep me right about at specified stackup height.
5) used the stock springs
6) filled it up with non-synthetic oil

And it all works great. No judder, grab, bark. Great, smooth controllable engagement no matter how I do it. And the shift effort is back to what it should be.
Thanks for all the advice!
lets hope so as ive put up with this for so long...
thanks
balls deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
balls deep
Squid

and also what year was the zx10 clutch cushion u used?are they all the same size each year or do u need a certain year to fit different bikes?

thanks.
balls deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
GuyManDude
Novice

Default Grats

Well done. I always enjoy hearing stories of stuff that's messed up and guys figuring out how creative ways to fix it.
GuyManDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement