No key need to get number off of ignition... : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
bruno__33
Squid

Default No key need to get number off of ignition...

Well on the weekend some relitives graced me with their presence long enough to have there youngest flush my last key down the toilet. Now I need to get the number off the bottom of my ignition, if there is one. I own a 2000 GSX-R750, so if anyone can help me out or send me a link on how to remove my ignition, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance.
bruno__33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
burnsv11
Rider

Taking the ignition swich off is a simple task.

1.) Loosen the pinch bolts on both sides of the upper tripple clamp.

2.) Remove the stem nut: 32mm

3.) Lift the clamp and rotate to see underside.

3.) Use a key type torx bit (has a hole in the middle, most kits found under $50)

That will remove the ignition from the clamp, but if you need to remove the ignition all together:

1.) Remove the upper and side fairings

2.) Disconnect plugs on right side under your ram air tube.

To your original question:

Loosening your your pinch bolts and removing your stem nut will grant you acess to see the underside of your ignition.... best of luck to you..
burnsv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Streetdremz
Rider

FYI no key code on the ignition. Only way the dealer can make a key is by using that little black stamp that came with the bike.

You'll need to take it to a locksmith and have them rekey ALL your locks. Looking at about 120 bucks. Good luck
Streetdremz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
bruno__33
Squid

thanks a lot guys... and that sucks about the price but i guess yah gotta do what yah gotta do
bruno__33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
JohnPaul
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno__33 View Post
thanks a lot guys... and that sucks about the price but i guess yah gotta do what yah gotta do
after the locksmith makes you some keys, zip tie one near the battery box under the seat.
JohnPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
johnnylovely
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulGixxer View Post
after the locksmith makes you some keys, zip tie one near the battery box under the seat.

So..uuh..um..yeah, where do you live again?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
PhqOphRacing
Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetdremz View Post
FYI no key code on the ignition. Only way the dealer can make a key is by using that little black stamp that came with the bike.

You'll need to take it to a locksmith and have them rekey ALL your locks. Looking at about 120 bucks. Good luck

A locksmith can take the ignition apart and make a key, theres no need to rekey everything, at my shop it would run around 12-15 bucks.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
corybusa
Novice

wish you locksmith lived near me. it`s about $90 around here. cory
corybusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #9
tcontradiction
Squid

Default GSXR key ingnition

http://gsxr.tcpstudio.com

Im giving step by step instructions with pictures on the correct tools needed to change an ignition system. That way you dont have to tap out any screws and I also gave estimates on how much everything should cost. Go check it out!!!
tcontradiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement