Home Made Turbo KIT Part2 (intake manifold) : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
WoodShoe
Racer

Default Home Made Turbo KIT Part2 (intake manifold)

So my dad and I started fabrication of the intake manifold today, thought I would share the process in case anyone else wants to make one.

I went out and got 40 bucks worth of piping and we went at it.
1 foot of 3" pipe is the plenum.

4 pieces of 2" pipe stretched to 2 1/8th to be flush with the throttle bodies.

And a few feet of 2" pipe for the charge pipe.

Its not done yet as you can tell. Still needs to be welded, and the intake pipe has to be attached also...
Note: this is mocked up to my 600 throttle bodies, thats why it happens to squeeze snugly onto them ... it will be flush with the 750 TB so i can use couplers to tie it together.

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN

Just started planning a turbo kit for my friends bike.. wish it was more along these lines for some ideas.. lol. He has an 08 Kawi Vulcan mean streak 1600 so I cant use any of your methods sadly.

Coming along well tho, Im excited to see it when done and hear the price you spent.

K5 1K street - K1 750 track - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
WoodShoe
Racer

Are you making it from scratch too? Ill add up all the prices at the end of the build, but im hoping under 1000$. Minus the power commander. Its adding up quicker than I thought, but considering kits out there are 3grand plus, its definitely worth doing if you have the resources. Not to mention you get to use your brain to make things work
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
WoodShoe
Racer

Finished Product. We pointed the intake towards one of the ram air holes in the frame. Which is where Im going to run my charge pipe through.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
rebel750
Pro Racer

damn it's looking real nice. I finally have a welder and have been itchin to start something.....anything. What size/brand did you say the turbo is? This may be something as a winter prodject when it snows here in a few months.
rebel750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
WoodShoe
Racer

These are the specs on the turbo, its a cheap knock off from an evo3 design I believe. Its external waste gate.

T3
2.5" inlet, 2.5" outlet
60 mm major diameter compressor wheel.42AR (cold side)
4 bolt, 90mm bolt circle outlet,
T3 divided flange inlet, .48AR (hot side)
Flanged oil feed and return.

That being said... im worried about how huge it is
Im going to find out within a few weeks if it works properly on this bike or not. I may have to go with something smaller. But I picked this sucker up for about 200 bucks new, so i couldnt resist.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
WoodShoe
Racer

I have seen a busa with a turbo huger than mine sticking out of the side, so if they got that to work I hope I can run that sucker.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN

Yeah we're doin it from scratch. Done it on a few cars before before turbo kits were made for the car but this will be our 1st bike. No fairings to hide stuff behind, bikes is allready PC'd it is fuel injected.... should be fun. The turbo he picked up was too big, traded it for a stock Cyclone turbo and now I think he even wants to go a lil smaller.

GSXR.com Moderator
Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
WoodShoe
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD600 View Post
Yeah we're doin it from scratch. Done it on a few cars before before turbo kits were made for the car but this will be our 1st bike. No fairings to hide stuff behind, bikes is allready PC'd it is fuel injected.... should be fun. The turbo he picked up was too big, traded it for a stock Cyclone turbo and now I think he even wants to go a lil smaller.
What size turbo did he get originally?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Aleks the serbian prince
Novice

what kind of bike do u have ... and how long did it take u to build it
Aleks the serbian prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
What size turbo did he get originally?
Im not sure off hand, Ill try and find out tonight. I told him to sign up and check out you thread.

GSXR.com Moderator
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
WoodShoe
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD600 View Post
Im not sure off hand, Ill try and find out tonight. I told him to sign up and check out you thread.
Cool beans. Im just trying to score a good deal on a wastegate before I start bolting everything up to the bike. If the headers werent such a pain in my assholes to take off, I would mock it up and figure out the best way to run all my charge pipes already....
Old 07-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #13
gixxerfool
MPG mod

That intake looks very similar to the Hahn one my friend had. We had issues with it blowing off under full boost, Hahns original fix was to use a tie down acrossed it, it worked, but looked ghetto. Eventually we tapped holes in the sides and made little metal straps that bolted to the motor. We also had issues with the outer throttle bodies getting starved for air, as the inners would take most of forcing us to run the outside cylinders a little fat to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3K View Post
Dewd, you do exist....I thought you were some undefined bit of code that lived throughout the internet like Neo or the Oracle.

Clicky=> Hotdog in a Hallway<=Clicky
gixxerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #14
WoodShoe
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerfool View Post
That intake looks very similar to the Hahn one my friend had. We had issues with it blowing off under full boost, Hahns original fix was to use a tie down acrossed it, it worked, but looked ghetto. Eventually we tapped holes in the sides and made little metal straps that bolted to the motor. We also had issues with the outer throttle bodies getting starved for air, as the inners would take most of forcing us to run the outside cylinders a little fat to compensate.
Interesting, I would have thought the whole plenum would be under a constant pressure. But I guess to be on the safe side Ill add width to the charge pipe so it looks more like ones you would get in a kit. As for it blowing off, I did think of that and I have noticed all the ones from kits are mounted to the engine on each side. Once its on the motor ill find some good mounting spots for it.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
gixxerfool
MPG mod

Quote:
Interesting, I would have thought the whole plenum would be under a constant pressure. But I guess to be on the safe side Ill add width to the charge pipe so it looks more like ones you would get in a kit.
I guess that was the theory behind the design, but as we all know theory and practice never yield the same results. BTW I love the whole fabricated end to this. Its stuff like this thats fueled the automotive world for so long. I guess you don;t see too much stuff like this on bikes because they are expensive to repair and space is so limited. Good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3K View Post
Dewd, you do exist....I thought you were some undefined bit of code that lived throughout the internet like Neo or the Oracle.

Clicky=> Hotdog in a Hallway<=Clicky
gixxerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
rebel750
Pro Racer

I found out it will be a while before I can tackle this prodject. I found out I suck pretty bad at welding. I was practicing on some old exhaust pipes in the garage last night and my bead looked like someone sneezed all over it. I managed to finally seal it but it looks horrid. Than goodness for a grinders.

It just took way to long to get what I needed done so I need to work on it somemore.

And maybe WoodShoe can do a full write up when you are up and running.
rebel750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
sevenfiftybilly
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel750 View Post
I found out it will be a while before I can tackle this prodject. I found out I suck pretty bad at welding. I was practicing on some old exhaust pipes in the garage last night and my bead looked like someone sneezed all over it. I managed to finally seal it but it looks horrid. Than goodness for a grinders.

It just took way to long to get what I needed done so I need to work on it somemore.

And maybe WoodShoe can do a full write up when you are up and running.
+1 i think were all a bit interested in your setup! i really am following this thread man! good luck on your project!!!

07gsxr750-gone
12gsxr750-on deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel750 View Post
experience will make you faster than anything you buy online.
sevenfiftybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #18
jeremy morgan
Rider

Quote:
Interesting, I would have thought the whole plenum would be under a constant pressure. But I guess to be on the safe side Ill add width to the charge pipe so it looks more like ones you would get in a kit. As for it blowing off, I did think of that and I have noticed all the ones from kits are mounted to the engine on each side. Once its on the motor ill find some good mounting spots for it.
your gonna have to bring that thing down to chatham when you get it all done, ive got a few buddies that wouldnt mind checking it out. and if your gonna take it to st thomas, let me know we ride up on friday nights about once a month

Last edited by jeremy morgan; 07-26-2009 at 07:10 AM.
jeremy morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
WoodShoe
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy morgan View Post
your gonna have to bring that thing down to chatham when you get it all done, ive got a few buddies that wouldnt mind checking it out. and if your gonna take it to st thomas, let me know we ride up on friday nights about once a month
Sounds good. I used to hit the track all the time. But this season I haven't managed to hit it even once.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
jeremy morgan
Rider

Quote:
Sounds good. I used to hit the track all the time. But this season I haven't managed to hit it even once.
me either, ive had a few tech issueswith mine. but hope to get there soon
jeremy morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #21
srad300
Squid

nice work on that plenum
srad300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #22
gsxspeeddemon
Novice

was this ever finished? Any updates?
gsxspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote