Home Made Turbo KIT Part2 (intake manifold) : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums
 
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default Home Made Turbo KIT Part2 (intake manifold)

So my dad and I started fabrication of the intake manifold today, thought I would share the process in case anyone else wants to make one.

I went out and got 40 bucks worth of piping and we went at it.
1 foot of 3" pipe is the plenum.

4 pieces of 2" pipe stretched to 2 1/8th to be flush with the throttle bodies.

And a few feet of 2" pipe for the charge pipe.


Its not done yet as you can tell. Still needs to be welded, and the intake pipe has to be attached also...
Note: this is mocked up to my 600 throttle bodies, thats why it happens to squeeze snugly onto them ... it will be flush with the 750 TB so i can use couplers to tie it together.



__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN
 
SRAD600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MTL, NJ
Posts: 11,182
Default

Just started planning a turbo kit for my friends bike.. wish it was more along these lines for some ideas.. lol. He has an 08 Kawi Vulcan mean streak 1600 so I cant use any of your methods sadly.

Coming along well tho, Im excited to see it when done and hear the price you spent.
__________________


K5 1K street - K1 750 track - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Are you making it from scratch too? Ill add up all the prices at the end of the build, but im hoping under 1000$. Minus the power commander. Its adding up quicker than I thought, but considering kits out there are 3grand plus, its definitely worth doing if you have the resources. Not to mention you get to use your brain to make things work
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Finished Product. We pointed the intake towards one of the ram air holes in the frame. Which is where Im going to run my charge pipe through.



__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
rebel750
Pro Racer
 
rebel750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Right behind you.....
Posts: 1,665
Default

damn it's looking real nice. I finally have a welder and have been itchin to start something.....anything. What size/brand did you say the turbo is? This may be something as a winter prodject when it snows here in a few months.
__________________
K7 750
'08 F150 4x4 w/ 35s & 6" lift
'84 Porsche 944
rebel750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

These are the specs on the turbo, its a cheap knock off from an evo3 design I believe. Its external waste gate.

T3
2.5" inlet, 2.5" outlet
60 mm major diameter compressor wheel.42AR (cold side)
4 bolt, 90mm bolt circle outlet,
T3 divided flange inlet, .48AR (hot side)
Flanged oil feed and return.

That being said... im worried about how huge it is
Im going to find out within a few weeks if it works properly on this bike or not. I may have to go with something smaller. But I picked this sucker up for about 200 bucks new, so i couldnt resist.
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

I have seen a busa with a turbo huger than mine sticking out of the side, so if they got that to work I hope I can run that sucker.
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN
 
SRAD600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MTL, NJ
Posts: 11,182
Default

Yeah we're doin it from scratch. Done it on a few cars before before turbo kits were made for the car but this will be our 1st bike. No fairings to hide stuff behind, bikes is allready PC'd it is fuel injected.... should be fun. The turbo he picked up was too big, traded it for a stock Cyclone turbo and now I think he even wants to go a lil smaller.
__________________


K5 1K street - K1 750 track - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD600 View Post
Yeah we're doin it from scratch. Done it on a few cars before before turbo kits were made for the car but this will be our 1st bike. No fairings to hide stuff behind, bikes is allready PC'd it is fuel injected.... should be fun. The turbo he picked up was too big, traded it for a stock Cyclone turbo and now I think he even wants to go a lil smaller.
What size turbo did he get originally?
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Aleks the serbian prince
Novice
 
Aleks the serbian prince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 45
Default

what kind of bike do u have ... and how long did it take u to build it
Aleks the serbian prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN
 
SRAD600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MTL, NJ
Posts: 11,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
What size turbo did he get originally?
Im not sure off hand, Ill try and find out tonight. I told him to sign up and check out you thread.
__________________


K5 1K street - K1 750 track - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD600 View Post
Im not sure off hand, Ill try and find out tonight. I told him to sign up and check out you thread.
Cool beans. Im just trying to score a good deal on a wastegate before I start bolting everything up to the bike. If the headers werent such a pain in my assholes to take off, I would mock it up and figure out the best way to run all my charge pipes already....
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #13
gixxerfool
MPG mod
 
gixxerfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 7,427
Default

That intake looks very similar to the Hahn one my friend had. We had issues with it blowing off under full boost, Hahns original fix was to use a tie down acrossed it, it worked, but looked ghetto. Eventually we tapped holes in the sides and made little metal straps that bolted to the motor. We also had issues with the outer throttle bodies getting starved for air, as the inners would take most of forcing us to run the outside cylinders a little fat to compensate.
__________________
MPG wins=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3K View Post
Dewd, you do exist....I thought you were some undefined bit of code that lived throughout the internet like Neo or the Oracle.


Clicky=> Hotdog in a Hallway<=Clicky
gixxerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #14
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerfool View Post
That intake looks very similar to the Hahn one my friend had. We had issues with it blowing off under full boost, Hahns original fix was to use a tie down acrossed it, it worked, but looked ghetto. Eventually we tapped holes in the sides and made little metal straps that bolted to the motor. We also had issues with the outer throttle bodies getting starved for air, as the inners would take most of forcing us to run the outside cylinders a little fat to compensate.
Interesting, I would have thought the whole plenum would be under a constant pressure. But I guess to be on the safe side Ill add width to the charge pipe so it looks more like ones you would get in a kit. As for it blowing off, I did think of that and I have noticed all the ones from kits are mounted to the engine on each side. Once its on the motor ill find some good mounting spots for it.
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #15
gixxerfool
MPG mod
 
gixxerfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 7,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
Interesting, I would have thought the whole plenum would be under a constant pressure. But I guess to be on the safe side Ill add width to the charge pipe so it looks more like ones you would get in a kit.
I guess that was the theory behind the design, but as we all know theory and practice never yield the same results. BTW I love the whole fabricated end to this. Its stuff like this thats fueled the automotive world for so long. I guess you don;t see too much stuff like this on bikes because they are expensive to repair and space is so limited. Good work.
__________________
MPG wins=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3K View Post
Dewd, you do exist....I thought you were some undefined bit of code that lived throughout the internet like Neo or the Oracle.


Clicky=> Hotdog in a Hallway<=Clicky
gixxerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
rebel750
Pro Racer
 
rebel750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Right behind you.....
Posts: 1,665
Default

I found out it will be a while before I can tackle this prodject. I found out I suck pretty bad at welding. I was practicing on some old exhaust pipes in the garage last night and my bead looked like someone sneezed all over it. I managed to finally seal it but it looks horrid. Than goodness for a grinders.

It just took way to long to get what I needed done so I need to work on it somemore.

And maybe WoodShoe can do a full write up when you are up and running.
__________________
K7 750
'08 F150 4x4 w/ 35s & 6" lift
'84 Porsche 944
rebel750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
sevenfiftybilly
Pro Racer
 
sevenfiftybilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel750 View Post
I found out it will be a while before I can tackle this prodject. I found out I suck pretty bad at welding. I was practicing on some old exhaust pipes in the garage last night and my bead looked like someone sneezed all over it. I managed to finally seal it but it looks horrid. Than goodness for a grinders.

It just took way to long to get what I needed done so I need to work on it somemore.

And maybe WoodShoe can do a full write up when you are up and running.
+1 i think were all a bit interested in your setup! i really am following this thread man! good luck on your project!!!
__________________

07gsxr750-gone
12gsxr750-on deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel750 View Post
experience will make you faster than anything you buy online.
sevenfiftybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #18
jeremy morgan
Rider
 
jeremy morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
Interesting, I would have thought the whole plenum would be under a constant pressure. But I guess to be on the safe side Ill add width to the charge pipe so it looks more like ones you would get in a kit. As for it blowing off, I did think of that and I have noticed all the ones from kits are mounted to the engine on each side. Once its on the motor ill find some good mounting spots for it.
your gonna have to bring that thing down to chatham when you get it all done, ive got a few buddies that wouldnt mind checking it out. and if your gonna take it to st thomas, let me know we ride up on friday nights about once a month

Last edited by jeremy morgan; 07-26-2009 at 07:10 AM.
jeremy morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
WoodShoe
Racer
 
WoodShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy morgan View Post
your gonna have to bring that thing down to chatham when you get it all done, ive got a few buddies that wouldnt mind checking it out. and if your gonna take it to st thomas, let me know we ride up on friday nights about once a month
Sounds good. I used to hit the track all the time. But this season I haven't managed to hit it even once.
__________________
KSIX600 w/ K7750 swap -- PCIII + LCD + WIDEBAND02, K&N, -2 / + 1
WoodShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
jeremy morgan
Rider
 
jeremy morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
Sounds good. I used to hit the track all the time. But this season I haven't managed to hit it even once.
me either, ive had a few tech issueswith mine. but hope to get there soon
jeremy morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #21
srad300
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
Default

nice work on that plenum
srad300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #22
gsxspeeddemon
Novice
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ATX
Posts: 25
Default

was this ever finished? Any updates?
gsxspeeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 2008 GSXR.com
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum