How much weight can the passenger seat/tail hold? : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

View Poll Results: How many people here let someone else ride bitch? (guy or girl)
I bring my lady along sometimes. 28 82.35%
I give rides to my bro's sometimes. 0 0%
I didn't even know that's what that was for?! 6 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
cocktailmunky
Banned

Question How much weight can the passenger seat/tail hold?

This is probably a rude and possibly funny question. I am frankly embarrased to have to ask it. But I am new to riding sportbikes and have wanted one since I was 12yrs old. I am 31yrs old now. My problem is this- I have a fiancee that I love more than life itself. BUT.... she is a little thick if you know what I mean. Actually she is very thick. She used to not be. She says she wants to start going to the gym with me but has yet to do that.

Now I am buying my new(but used) bike within the next 2 weeks and she is looking forward to riding it with me! She knows she needs to lose weight so as not to look ridiculous on it. But I don't think she knows how much she needs to lose. She weighs like 230-240lbs. I think she needs to lose like 100lbs to ride with me. Which will take like a year.

So the question is this ladies and gentlemen riders-
How do I tell her she is too big to ride with me or tell her to get to the fucking gym without being a rude piece of shit. I would never ever in a million years want to hurt her feelings, so please give me advice on the proper thing to do here.

Last edited by cocktailmunky; 01-25-2010 at 05:52 PM.
cocktailmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
OUTINFRONT
Banned

sorry you got balls just tell her the truththey can hold this much if she is bigger than that best get a 4x4.
OUTINFRONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
gsxr691
Pro Racer

I'd tell her straight up but help motivate her! Don't use riding the bike as your only motivation, remind her of the simple health issues she's causing herself!!! Good luck
Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
flyin low
Pro Racer

ALOT!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
HOG SLYR

Passenger weight is a worth while consideration on a sport bike. There were issues with early Busa's and cracking sub frames which led to Suzuki changing to a heavier steel sub frame in 2001. Fortunately seat room limits us a bit
HOG SLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
b3av3r
Racer

I have ridden a girl that weighed about 150 - 160lbs. and you really notice that extra weight behind you, especially at slower speeds. I have also ridden a couple thin girls clocking in at about 110 - 115lbs. and the weight is felt, but not as noticable in the steering.

b3av3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
netskiman
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3av3r View Post
I have ridden a girl that weighed about 150 - 160lbs. and you really notice that extra weight behind you, especially at slower speeds. I have also ridden a couple thin girls clocking in at about 110 - 115lbs. and the weight is felt, but not as noticable in the steering.
For Sure ! My daughter is close to 150, 5'8" and my GF is around 120, 5'2" and I can sure feel the difference especially around town. I could't imagine putting anything over 200 back there when I am only 155lb's myself. She might be more apt to exercise if you do it with her, maybe? Just my 0.02
1968 4 door chevelle, 41,000 orig.miles
netskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
cereal killer
Racer

doods my wife only weighs 92 lbs and is 4 foot 11 and i notice a diff.man i dont know what to tell ya though i dont think i could say anything, i would just be like hey why dont ya come to tha gym wid me 2 day.
cereal killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
C-rider
Pro Racer

I can't stand when I'm luggin' the extra 100 - 120 lbs around when a chick gets on my bike. That's why I hardly ever let anyone ride with me, it's a whole new ball game with a passenger. Get her on some Addipex and exercise with a healthy diet, she will drop weight crazy fast! My parents have both lost about 50 lbs by doing that...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Mister Tee
Shot Caller

I don't know how much you weigh, but one thing you need to consider is that at some point, you will exceed the load rating for the bike and/or tires, and a full size male with a 200+ lb passenger can push that. In terms of cruising enjoyment and bike handling, you are really better off with a sport touring bike or a cruiser for two-up riding, if you are able to have two bikes.

That said, I spend a fair amount of time in Southeast Asia, and I have seen some crazy heavy load combinations on scooters and small motorcycles. Try it out and see how well it works I guess.
Mister Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
jamesbernatchez
Novice

Me personally, I have never nor do I plan to let anybody on the back of the bike. I put a cowl that way I have a reason why I can't give rides to anybody.

I don't want to be responsible for another person if I got into an accident. My girlfriend hates bikes so I don't have to worry about her asking to ride with me.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
cocktailmunky
Banned

this sucks, I hate the situation...lol. I have wanted a sportbike since I was a kid and my fiancee knows that. She has been trying to help me get one since we got together 5yrs ago. And now that we are able to get me one she is looking forward to riding it.

Maybe I'll just wreck it and call it a day....lmao. Just Kidding!

I think I will push the working out thing and tell her I need someone there to motivate me (which is a lie) and then until i feel she has lost enough weight ( realistically ) I will tell her I'm not confident enough with my riding abilities to be comfortable putting her at risk. And I will add in something along the lines of "If I hurt you or god forebid lost you due to my driving or putting you in danger on that bike I would never forgive myself".

How does that sound everyone? I'm kinda proud of this idea
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
jtownthug
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocktailmunky View Post
I think I will push the working out thing and tell her I need someone there to motivate me (which is a lie) and then until i feel she has lost enough weight ( realistically ) I will tell her I'm not confident enough with my riding abilities to be comfortable putting her at risk. And I will add in something along the lines of "If I hurt you or god forebid lost you due to my driving or putting you in danger on that bike I would never forgive myself".
Thats pretty much the line we all use when you don't want to give somebody a ride.
jtownthug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #14
C-rider
Pro Racer

+1. Dunno why I didn't think of that, I have used that quite a bit! There ya go, now go get that bike and a pair of tennis shoes and sweats for your ole lady... Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
extreme terror
Pro Racer

right when i saw this thread title i knew that the honda chickopotomus would be in here

The hell-raiser, raising hell with the flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsnips View Post
When you actually post your miles per gallon in the MPG chat thread...ya, you a ho.
extreme terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
ripping101
Rider

since ur new to riding dude i would just tell her not to get on the bike untill u feel confident enough to have a passenger...
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
cocktailmunky
Banned

yep, just gonna tell her what I came up with earlier. She wont get mad and might be more motivated to hit the gym with me.

Thanks for the ideas and help everyone!

Glad I joined this site, you guys are alright!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
flyin low
Pro Racer

Quote:
This the way to Good luck to ya and her!!!

O and ya could always get her her own bike.... Nothin hotter then haven your lady ridin beside you.....
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #19
Lyte-
Supa Attack MuTT

I am actually proud non of you guys gave a Jackassed response!

Bad boys aint no good
Good boys aint no fun
Lord knows that I should
Run off with the right one
Mary J. Blige feat. Drake

Lyte- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
extreme terror
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte- View Post
the chickopotomus thing was border line, but good info here

Quote:
When you actually post your miles per gallon in the MPG chat thread...ya, you a ho.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
jlizardo08gsxr600
Pro Racer

Quote:
yeah well the OP isn't an asshat. he didn't start off this thread sounding like an idiot.

and this OP is asking for some advice and the people on here are very helpful.

and i noticed it too Lyte.
good job guys.

08 600 - blue
  • Full M4 exhaust
  • BMC Race Air Filter
  • Power Commander
CHICO STATE!!

Last edited by jlizardo08gsxr600; 01-26-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: i have grammar retardation..
jlizardo08gsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
OUTINFRONT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme terror View Post
the chickopotomus thing was border line, but good info here
WHAT do you mean a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
MR DANGLES
Pro Racer

Quote:
well then i should just not say anything then....lol and sum one please tell me where OUT got an old pic of me and my gurl. she has since lost weight.. j/j my wife rides on the back sum times and she is as you say thick ( 160 ish mm i like em like dat) i do notice the difference but would never be a dick and say you need to lose weight to ride on the back. if it was ever a issue i would simply leave the bike @ home and take one of the cars if we were going out to spend time together. i married her not the bike.. plus she makes me keep my seat cowl on anyways so ''no bitches can be back there" her quote....lol if she has been good enough to ride you let her ride the bike too.... + 1 on the other bike scinero eventually that is the best way..

FU*K AVERAGE

THE HUNT IS ON

Last edited by MR DANGLES; 01-26-2010 at 10:12 AM.
MR DANGLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
extreme terror
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DANGLES View Post
well then i should just not say anything then....lol and sum one please tell me where OUT got an old pic of me and my gurl. she has since lost weight.. j/j my wife rides on the back sum times and she is as you say thick ( 160 ish mm i like em like dat) i do notice the difference but would never be a dick and say you need to lose weight to ride on the back. if it was ever a issue i would simply leave the bike @ home and take one of the cars if we were going out to spend time together. i married her not the bike.. plus she makes me keep my seat cowl on anyways so ''no bitches can be back there" her quote....lol
holy crap mine does the same thing!!! esp once i told her that the guys r going to daytona, that was the first thing she said! ur backseat and rear pegs are staying right here on the coffee table so i know where they are
so mr d... how much weight can the tires hold?
and oif... yes that pic is worth more than 1k words! but i guess that pic is kinda a guide line just to know what we could do if need b ... idk if mine could hold her being stretched and lowered though

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #25
extreme terror
Pro Racer

Quote:
this sucks, I hate the situation...lol. I have wanted a sportbike since I was a kid and my fiancee knows that. She has been trying to help me get one since we got together 5yrs ago. And now that we are able to get me one she is looking forward to riding it.

Maybe I'll just wreck it and call it a day....lmao. Just Kidding!

How does that sound everyone? I'm kinda proud of this idea

thats DEF the line we all use!
my friends son wants me to take him out on rides all the time... hes 15 and as tall as me! so when i see him i say the same thing... sorry kid-o im not that great at riding with a passenger and i dont want n e thing to happen to u ... works every time

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN

Quote:
well then i should just not say anything then....lol and sum one please tell me where OUT got an old pic of me and my gurl. she has since lost weight.. j/j my wife rides on the back sum times and she is as you say thick ( 160 ish mm i like em like dat) i do notice the difference but would never be a dick and say you need to lose weight to ride on the back. if it was ever a issue i would simply leave the bike @ home and take one of the cars if we were going out to spend time together. i married her not the bike.. plus she makes me keep my seat cowl on anyways so ''no bitches can be back there" her quote....lol if she has been good enough to ride you let her ride the bike too.... + 1 on the other bike scinero eventually that is the best way..
Thats funny, my fiancees quote is "No skanks" and she checks to see if the cowl is on there also, lol.

K5 1K street - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #27
cocktailmunky
Banned

Yeah I'm not the type of guy to be rude or anything, especially not to the woman I love more than anything in the world (except my bike..lol).

I could have been a assclown and had a thread label like-
"Do I need a fuel remapping on Power Commander for chunky girl riding bitch?"

But no I took the high road.

Thanks everyone
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
extreme terror
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD600 View Post
Thats funny, my fiancees quote is "No skanks" and she checks to see if the cowl is on there also, lol.
wow thats kinda funni that all our women do the same thing... give us some credit girls!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #29
flyin low
Pro Racer

Quote:
wow thats kinda funni that all our women do the same thing... give us some credit girls!!!!!!!!
Mine dose the same thing and +1
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #30
flyin low
Pro Racer

Two up can be jst as much fun.... Its jst a different type Tho its way better to have your lady beside you on her own.

This is 1 of my daughters on a ride last year (who now rides her own now but still liks to go out with me on mine)

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #31
MR DANGLES
Pro Racer

okay guys, lets flip the script a lil... if they ( our ladies) think like that should we be worried they would jump on the back of sum one elses bike? things that make you go hmmmm.. let me say sum shyt like that boi id be on the couch for a min...lol

Quote:
holy crap mine does the same thing!!! esp once i told her that the guys r going to daytona, that was the first thing she said! ur backseat and rear pegs are staying right here on the coffee table so i know where they are
so mr d... how much weight can the tires hold?
and oif... yes that pic is worth more than 1k words! but i guess that pic is kinda a guide line just to know what we could do if need b ... idk if mine could hold her being stretched and lowered though
Quote:
thats DEF the line we all use!
my friends son wants me to take him out on rides all the time... hes 15 and as tall as me! so when i see him i say the same thing... sorry kid-o im not that great at riding with a passenger and i dont want n e thing to happen to u ... works every time
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAD600 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin low View Post
Mine dose the same thing and +1

FU*K AVERAGE

THE HUNT IS ON

Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #32
extreme terror
Pro Racer

yaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaait a minute!!!! good call mr d good call indeed

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #33
flyin low
Pro Racer

lol the couch????? I'd be out back in the tent for a week
Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #34
MR DANGLES
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin low View Post
lol the couch????? I'd be out back in the tent for a week
yea should have made it more clear the couch out in the back yard for the dawgs....

FU*K AVERAGE

THE HUNT IS ON

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
Squid

Quote:
yea should have made it more clear the couch out in the back yard for the dawgs....
Nobody rides on the back.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #36
Suzukifan8401
Rider

When i first got my bike in july i rode with a passenger a few times chick probally weighed bout 115lbs and the bike dropped down alot and im only about 150lbs so is this normal or not? how can i adjust this
Suzukifan8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #37
09gixxerman
Racer

face it...there is no way to tell a woman to lose weight without looking like an asshole. I just dont let people ride on the back. never have. to me its not worth the risk. if I crash i want it to be just me that gets hurt not my wife.
09gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #38
DarkHorse
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukifan8401 View Post
When i first got my bike in july i rode with a passenger a few times chick probally weighed bout 115lbs and the bike dropped down alot and im only about 150lbs so is this normal or not? how can i adjust this
Need to wind more preload on your shock - if you look at it there's two 'collars' that sit on top of the spring - you need to back the top one off, then crank the lower one down so the spring compresses a bit more, then lock the top one back down on top. Only do it a bit at a time until you find a setting that works.

If you don't have the specific C-spanners for the collars a flat head screwdriver and a hammer will shift them.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #39
cocktailmunky
Banned

I know it's not a good idea to let my lady ride until we both lose weight ( her mainly ) because I'm like 195lbs myself. Sooooo she needs to be like less than 150-160 to get on safely I would say. And thats only when I really am comfortable enough with my riding skills to let her hop on once in a while.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #40
OUTINFRONT
Banned

ya man 2 up riding is alot diffrent than 1 up i think anyway, your braking and timing are completly changed. used to double for years when i was young you can get used to it but anyone that says it dont suck is lying im 6ft 220 and had my lady on one trip by the time we got back 1hr later through the twisties we both agreed never again pure torture she was wobbling around back there shoveing me up the tank while braking,and feeling her shifting her weight under cornering,i guess they have to learn to ride as well it,s a group effourt to make it enjoyable.hey i call extreme terror extreme and flyin low low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement