Engine Ice: Waste of money? : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
eternalsinner750
Rider

Default Engine Ice: Waste of money?

So... I needed to replace my coolant and brake fluid, so I went to PepBoys and all they had was premixed 50/50, which I didn't want, and the straight coolant they had was the "All Makes and Models" bs. I just wanted normal, straight green coolant, but they didn't have it. Guy at PepBoys said something about motorcycle specific coolant, and I got to wondering, so I went to the local bike shop. I saw they had Engine Ice there, and I had heard about it, plus the tech there seemed the think somewhat highly of it. He and the jug both say it can make an engine run up to 50 degrees cooler... but, maybe it's just me... I don't understand how that could be possible. The thermostat is set to open at a specific temp, so no matter what, the bike is gonna get up to that temp before it starts opening up and running coolant anyway... right? Lmk if I'm off on this. Oh... and if anyone knows if I have to completely flush the green stuff outta my system before putting the Engine Ice in... lmk. It sounded like I could just drain it all out and add the Engine Ice, but I'm starting to think that maybe mixing the green coolant with the Engine Ice might be bad, even tho it would just be the little left over after draining, cuz the green stuff has silicate while the Engine Ice does not. (the same reason you can't mix Dex-Cool with other anti-freeze)
eternalsinner750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Mister Tee
Shot Caller

50 degrees cooler? Bullshit on that. And for reasons mentioned in other threads, you wouldn't want to run cooler anyway. You don't need a "motorcycle specific" antifreeze, you just need a coolant that is safe for aluminum, and it needs to be mixed with distilled or deionized water. Premix motorcycle coolant is that.
Mister Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
jgarcia1227
Novice

i use engine ice in my k7 600... it doesnt seem to be any different from any other brand that ive used... at least nothing noticeably different... ive read on many forums that you can use car coolant as well as long as it is for aluminum engines and radiators... i prefer to just use engine ice since they sell it at the bike shop and its only like a $2-3 price difference from the car coolant that i use....

catch me n a robe n some slippers ridin down 35 while im stuntin' on my gixxer mouth full of swishers or ridin with ur sister
jgarcia1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
msemken
Rider

50 degrees cooler.....
msemken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Upgrade
Pro Racer

Maybe if you ride in 10įF weather..
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Bry
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Tee View Post
50 degrees cooler? Bullshit on that. And for reasons mentioned in other threads, you wouldn't want to run cooler anyway. You don't need a "motorcycle specific" antifreeze, you just need a coolant that is safe for aluminum, and it needs to be mixed with distilled or deionized water. Premix motorcycle coolant is that.
+1
2011 ZX10R
Akra Full System<>Guhls ECU Flash<>PC5
Yoshi FE<>Puig DB<>Shorai LFX<>Woodcraft sliders

07 750
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
AtkoMN
Squid

I use engine ice as well and havenít noticed any difference.
AtkoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
BlacK On Black
Rider

Cool

I have used ice before and saw very little difference if any. And if your going to do any track days some one might kill you if you spill this shit on the track! I use water wetter and distilled water. Works great. Hope this helps.

Dont Mix different coolants!

As it has been said 1 million times before.........

DRESS FOR THE CRASH NOT THE RIDE
BlacK On Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Dakota1810
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacK On Black View Post
I have used ice before and saw very little difference if any. And if your going to do any track days some one might kill you if you spill this shit on the track! I use water wetter and distilled water. Works great. Hope this helps.

Dont Mix different coolants!
i have engine ice now also but im gonna go towards the water wetter, which is actually better and my temps didnt go down with the ice, but it did go down 6 degrees with exhaust wrap hot and about 20 degrees when its nice and windy

220-214 hot
180-160 cold/windy
Dakota1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
HOG SLYR

The only advantage to engine ice is it's bio-degradable and more pet friendly but doesn't cool any better than regular coolant (ice is in my bike now) I use the premix because it's already mixed with deionized water. To reduce the chance of corrosion or build up in the cooling system avoid mixing with tap or bottled water unless it's distilled.
HOG SLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
you da man
Anti-squid moderator

Engine Ice should be banned or at least anyone who spills it on the track should get a kick in the nuts by every rider for messing up the entire day. Other than that, it's a waste of money. Just use regular coolant or Water Wetter with distilled water.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

CMRA #599
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
eternalsinner750
Rider

The prob is that I can't use Water Wetter cuz I live in a freezing climate and it's not made to resist freezing. With the engine ice, I guess I'll use it since I have it... I started flushing out my system to avoid any mixing but didn't get a chance to finish. Pulled the most noob effin move today and forgot to put the freakin drain plug back in and got through 3 quarts of oil before I noticed it was all dumping out the bottom into the drain pan with all the old oil in it. So that was a waste of a whole shit load of Mobil 1 and about 30 bucks. Awesome. Coolant system is empty right now and for the night, but tmrw I guess I'll fill her up with the Engine Ice. I'll never buy it again, though. Way to expensive and sounds like it doesn't do a god damn thing. I'll just flush it out of the system when it's time to change coolant again. It's not that hard and it only costs a few bucks to get some distilled water anyway.
eternalsinner750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #13
lbjasonc
Novice

go with some water wetter bro. pink's cooler.......no pun intended
lbjasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
uglyryder
Rider

ok well i went to to the bike shop and bought the only coolant they had and it was like $17 just just 2qt is there another cheeper maybe something in the gallon size that i could by from autozone or something similar. because im going to flush the coolant system and i know im gonna need much more then just 2qts.

2001 1000
uglyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement