» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Chat > General GSXR Chat

Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Question Arai vs Shoei?

I have always been an Arai fan but just saw this Shoei RF1000 yesterday and I want it. Any thoughts? Shoei looks like a great helmet now and may even be a bit better than Arai for the money. I have been having a hell of a time trying to find another Arai RX7 to replace my old one and did not want to switch it up cause I've got 8 brand new face shields in the garage for it. Thing is the cost of the new shields for the Shoei RF1100 are less than half the cost of the ones for my old RX7. The new Arai's do not use the same shield and I just do not want to spend $1000 plus on a new helmet. Can't decide!
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....-1100&h=18&t=1

Space is limited so ride on the edge, just make sure you're geared up and ready for it. It is called the edge for a good reason!
**GSXR1000K7 - Mod List: ....still has stock frame **
Yes officer, I did see the speed limit sign, I just didn't see you!

Last edited by up-on-one-wheel; 01-23-2011 at 09:18 AM.
up-on-one-wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
OUTINFRONT
Banned

SHOEI IS NICE BUT Aria is better you know it so pay up or get the step down.
OUTINFRONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Chango
TU250X Rider

Having owned both, it just depends on which one fits your head better. Some Arais fit me really well, but overall I prefer the feel of Shoeis. They are both darn good helmets.

Dragging Knee > Wheelies
Chango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Fstgixxer1000
Racer

I've owned 3 rf1000s, they are really nice helmets. I just made the switch to arai and I will never go back. For me the comfort is way better and its a little lighter. Its a tough decision but I vote arai.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Ya I know what you are all saying but The Shoei is about $650 here for me and shields are about $50 each with a great assortment. They even have that great little anti fog and glare shield as a visor option. The Arai is over $800 and the shields are $150 each. This shit starts to add up. My 1st Arai was the Freddy Spencer special and it cost me a fortune 20 years ago they still cost a fortune now and the prices fluctuate so badly. Where as Shoei has kept their prices down and has created an awesome helmet. I don't know, lets see what I can find at the bike show next week end. Thanks for your input, more....?

Space is limited so ride on the edge, just make sure you're geared up and ready for it. It is called the edge for a good reason!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
JFM GSXR 750
Pro Racer

Default Neither...........LOL

I had 2 shoei's and weren't impressed. I had the rf 900 and the rf 1000. They both used to fog up like crazy. I see they have addressed that problem. But I used to get this annoying whistle at 30 or 40 mph with the rf 1000. I stepped down to the scorpion 700 and never looked back. Very comfortable, fog free and the face shield is a breeze to remove. I have both the 700 and 400 line. The shields are interchangeable. Did I mention they are under 200!!! I never had an Arai so I have no experience with them.
JFM GSXR 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM GSXR 750 View Post
I had 2 shoei's and weren't impressed. I had the rf 900 and the rf 1000. They both used to fog up like crazy. I see they have addressed that problem. But I used to get this annoying whistle at 30 or 40 mph with the rf 1000. I stepped down to the scorpion 700 and never looked back. Very comfortable, fog free and the face shield is a breeze to remove. I have both the 700 and 400 line. The shields are interchangeable. Did I mention they are under 200!!! I never had an Arai so I have no experience with them.
Cool, I'll have to check it out! Thanks.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Zammit
Novice

If it fits and is comfortable than do it.. I just wish either company made a helmet that fit comfortably on my big melon. I wear an size 8 in a fitted hat and I tried a Icon XXXL Helmet on and almost couldn't get it off.
Two Brothers Black Series Slip On
ZeroGravity double bubble
GSXRTune Flashed ECU
Waiting on some misc. Powder Coating
Zammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
JFM GSXR 750
Pro Racer

Thumbs down Icon helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammit View Post
If it fits and is comfortable than do it.. I just wish either company made a helmet that fit comfortably on my big melon. I wear an size 8 in a fitted hat and I tried a Icon XXXL Helmet on and almost couldn't get it off.
Yo I wanted to buy an ICON helmet in the worse way a few years ago. But when I tried the one I wanted on it hurt the back of head??? Right above the neck. It was an extra large. I tried on a few and they all did that. I was so disappointed. I luv some of their graphics.
JFM GSXR 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Disco
Rider

I had an X-11 which I really liked, but Id go with Arai next. Their designs are way cooler and its great how the offer so many head shapes to get the right fit.

Hey if you wanna check some prices hit me up, I'll make you a great deal on whatever you have in mind.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
RedMist
Pro Racer

I have a Arai which I like. I was thinking of a Shoei next, but now after some of these posts. I'm having second thoughts
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Bry
The Honey Badger

I've tried a few Shoei's Caster's on (pretty sure it was the rf1000 line)and I thought they felt pretty good but at the time I just didnt have that kind of cash to drop $400+ on a lid. They didnt have Arai's so I cant comment about them.

My first helmet was the Scorpion exo-400 and I loved it..I accidently dropped it down a flight of stairs and replaced it with a KBC Force RR. I <3 the KBC.. I now own two of the Force RR's...
2011 ZX10R
Akra Full System<>Guhls ECU Flash<>PC5
Yoshi FE<>Puig DB

07 750
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
I had an X-11 which I really liked, but Id go with Arai next. Their designs are way cooler and its great how the offer so many head shapes to get the right fit.

Hey if you wanna check some prices hit me up, I'll make you a great deal on whatever you have in mind.
I would love to find a replacement for my RX7. Like I said I have a pile of stuff for it and if it can't be used it will end up on EBay.
If not do you by any chance have the Arai Corsair V AOYAMA on sale as well in a size large? My Arai RX7RR4 has the red, yellow grey and black color scheme, the same color as my leathers and I would like to stay with that.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
SlowSteve
Pro Racer

Talking

I have several Shoei X-11s and a few Arai RX-7 lids. The Shoei seem to fit my noggin best and IMO is just a slightly better helmet than the Arai. It is definitely quieter. Never used or wore the RF series so I guess I should just
Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
zmart1091
Rider

i got the arai corsair v crutchlow helmet and have no complaints.
zmart1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSteve View Post
I have several Shoei X-11s and a few Arai RX-7 lids. The Shoei seem to fit my noggin best and IMO is just a slightly better helmet than the Arai. It is definitely quieter. Never used or wore the RF series so I guess I should just
Thanks man, at this point I can buy an Arai that will fit all of the shields I currently have on hand for about $800 US plus shipping and all the rest up here to BC. I can buy the Shoei RF1000 at my fav bike shop for $575 + tax and the shields are about $50 each (special pin shield is about $75 with $30 inserts). Noise is not an issue as I have to wear ear plugs anyway. I just want a lid to keep my scull intact in the event of a crash and want it to have functioning vents and a shield that does not fog unlike my ICON piece of I'll never buy another ICON, just not impressed with it at all. Loved my RX7, would love to get an Arai Corsair V AOYAMA, just need to take it easy on the spending right now. Looks like it might just be the Shoei.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
J.D.
Novice

If you are looking to buy a new helmet I would strongly suggest checking with riders discount my buddy payed 450 for a shoei helmet(dont member which one) that at the local shops was 899.

"We ought to do good to others as simply as a horse runs, or a bee makes honey, or a vine bears grapes season after season without thinking of the grapes it has borne."
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
whitts1000
Novice

cyclegear.com has some pretty good deals on helmets
whitts1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
If you are looking to buy a new helmet I would strongly suggest checking with riders discount my buddy payed 450 for a shoei helmet(dont member which one) that at the local shops was 899.
Thx!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitts1000 View Post
cyclegear.com has some pretty good deals on helmets
Thx, I'm going to have to buy online or from my favorite bike shop with my good guy discount cause the so called helmet sales at the Vancouver Bike show sucked

Old 01-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
whitts1000
Novice

yeah man i went to cyclegear in greensboro seen that exact helmet you posted for like 450 or 500 or something like that but that was in nc
whitts1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
Melaza
Rider

Having owned both i much rather keep my Arai than my shoei. The Arai it`s definetly more comfortable(i wear glasses)...tell you what tho, stay away from Suomi light as hell but....I got it protecting the closet
Melaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #23
hyperducky
Squid

I also have an older RX7 Corsair that I bought for $375 (hard to pass up) and I prefer the fit and finish to the shoei's but either are excellet helmets and I would buy a shoei if the right deal came up.
hyperducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #24
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Thanks for all of your input here guys, I've taken the plunge and bought the Arai Corsair V AOYAMA from our buddy DISCO here on this site. I'll let you know how it all ends up when it arrives.
I really liked so many things about the new Shoei but in the end it is not an Arai and there was a good reason why I loved mt RX7 so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arai Corsair V AOYAMA.jpg (73.6 KB, 227 views)

Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #25
hyperducky
Squid

good lookin lid!
hyperducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
YoshiBlaise
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by up-on-one-wheel View Post
Thanks for all of your input here guys, I've taken the plunge and bought the Arai Corsair V AOYAMA from our buddy DISCO here on this site. I'll let you know how it all ends up when it arrives.
I really liked so many things about the new Shoei but in the end it is not an Arai and there was a good reason why I loved mt RX7 so much.
I was told used was ok unless it's a helmet? Anyway good find, how much you get it for if you don't mind me asking? What Thread section was it under?

Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly
YoshiBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshiBlaise View Post
I was told used was ok unless it's a helmet? Anyway good find, how much you get it for if you don't mind me asking? What Thread section was it under?
Sorry, guess that was not very clear. DISCO is a vendor here in this forum and the helmet is new. He made me a sweet deal I could not pass up. I'll share all when the helmet arrives. I would have had to pay almost double here off the shelf!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #28
BeautyOfSpeed
Rider

Quote:
Ya I know what you are all saying but The Shoei is about $650 here for me and shields are about $50 each with a great assortment. They even have that great little anti fog and glare shield as a visor option. The Arai is over $800 and the shields are $150 each. This shit starts to add up. My 1st Arai was the Freddy Spencer special and it cost me a fortune 20 years ago they still cost a fortune now and the prices fluctuate so badly. Where as Shoei has kept their prices down and has created an awesome helmet. I don't know, lets see what I can find at the bike show next week end. Thanks for your input, more....?
Seriously?

I paid $350 for my RF1100 brand new...
BeautyOfSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #29
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyOfSpeed View Post
Seriously?

I paid $350 for my RF1100 brand new...
This is BC Canada here BOS, we get seriously beat up. Everything is expensive and then there is 12% tax on top of that!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #30
sickgsxrk8
Premium Member

good choice on the arai corsair v, i have the matte black jolly roger and i love it!! Before the arai i had the shoei rf1000, great helmet but like the arai better!
sickgsxrk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #31
tls2death
Pro Racer

I went and tried on a Shoei X12 and an Arai (Corsair V I think?) the Shoei felt better around my cheeks than the Arai did but they were both a world of difference from my POS Scorpion. Buying a Suomy on blind faith though since nobody stocks them locally.

Bitches love red
tls2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
sickgsxrk8
Premium Member

Suomy are hot like the designs very bright and different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls2death View Post
I went and tried on a Shoei X12 and an Arai (Corsair V I think?) the Shoei felt better around my cheeks than the Arai did but they were both a world of difference from my POS Scorpion. Buying a Suomy on blind faith though since nobody stocks them locally.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #33
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Suomy's are definitely very nice. I think I would get arrested if I wore such a flashy helmet along with what I've got going on now!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
Melaza
Rider

Hummm, interesting like i said i got a Suomy(the flower one, long story) and that thing is collecting dust in my closet. I much rather use an Arai(on the market for one).
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #35
up-on-one-wheel
Certifiable Bike Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
Hummm, interesting like i said i got a Suomy(the flower one, long story) and that thing is collecting dust in my closet. I much rather use an Arai(on the market for one).
If you are really in the market for an Arai, PM our friend and site sponsor DISCO. He made me an offer I could not refuse.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #36
sickgsxrk8
Premium Member

I love my arai, I just think suomy is different haven't seen anybody by me wear one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaza View Post
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #37
Melaza
Rider

Quote:
If you are really in the market for an Arai, PM our friend and site sponsor DISCO. He made me an offer I could not refuse.
Thanks..i will definetly do so...wifey it`s buying it( birthday gift)
Old 02-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #38
bdub328i
Rider

arai helmets have different shape pending on the model. its best to go somewhere who sells them try each on. dont just buy the corsair V because its the most expensive and you assume its the best. the one that fits best is best. good choice on getting the arai over the Shoie though
bdub328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #39
UDKM
don't call me dude, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Having owned both, it just depends on which one fits your head better. Some Arais fit me really well, but overall I prefer the feel of Shoeis. They are both darn good helmets.
I agree. They are differently shaped so really you have to try on both and see which is more comfortable. They are both quality helmets.

I've always used Shoei. Just fits perfect on my big head. I snagged this one in a 2hr window on Black Friday for $429. Coincidence that I checked but glad I did simply cause I've always loved this particular design but would never in hell pay $800 for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoei-B-Boz-X-Twelve.jpg (76.2 KB, 173 views)

My Riding blog
UDKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #40
YoshiBlaise
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDKM View Post
I agree. They are differently shaped so really you have to try on both and see which is more comfortable. They are both quality helmets.

I've always used Shoei. Just fits perfect on my big head. I snagged this one in a 2hr window on Black Friday for $429. Coincidence that I checked but glad I did simply cause I've always loved this particular design but would never in hell pay $800 for it.
^ thing is sick!

Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly
YoshiBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement