Turbo~~ GSXR 600 : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums

» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
lethienchi17
Squid

Exclamation Turbo~~ GSXR 600

Hey there Gixxer fans, i have a quick question for the communtiy out there! I am in need of help and suggestions are welcome. My school has entered a F1 racing comp and we are desgning a f1 race car with a gsxr 600 motor in it.

for short we are going to turbo the motor and was wondering if it was possible to push good power out of it! ( we can only use 600 cc motors btw)

So i was wondering what turbo kits/ turbo we can use, and if an ALS system and 2step could be installed with on 2006 GSXR 600 motor?

lethienchi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
uneedthis2
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethienchi17 View Post
Hey there Gixxer fans, i have a quick question for the communtiy out there! I am in need of help and suggestions are welcome. My school has entered a F1 racing comp and we are desgning a f1 race car with a gsxr 600 motor in it.

for short we are going to turbo the motor and was wondering if it was possible to push good power out of it! ( we can only use 600 cc motors btw)

So i was wondering what turbo kits/ turbo we can use, and if an ALS system and 2step could be installed with on 2006 GSXR 600 motor?

You can indeed make decent power from a turbo 600. A local guy built a kit for a customer and i think on stock motor it made like 180hp or something like that. And yes you can also use a 2step. don't know what an ALS is though
uneedthis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
lethienchi17
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneedthis2 View Post
You can indeed make decent power from a turbo 600. A local guy built a kit for a customer and i think on stock motor it made like 180hp or something like that. And yes you can also use a 2step. don't know what an ALS is though
Nice, soo heres the real question how to i set up the 2step?
Anyone got any ideas for a barebone kit that can make 150-200 hp?

(ALS- Anti Lag System)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
OUTINFRONT
Banned

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=turbo
OUTINFRONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
uneedthis2
Pro Racer

Quote:
Nice, soo heres the real question how to i set up the 2step?
Anyone got any ideas for a barebone kit that can make 150-200 hp?

(ALS- Anti Lag System)
All you really need is like a 16g turbo, internally gated. Then have a log manifold built, a plenum, and a charge pipe from the turbo to the plenum. You'll also need a downpipe/exhaust made. Other than that you'd just get it tuned. You'd hook up a two step just like on any other vehicle.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
JohnPaul
Super Moderator

ever notice when someone asks a "quick question" it becomes two paragraphs long?

that is my contribution to this epic thread, good day.
JohnPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
lethienchi17
Squid

alright, so i look up at some 16g turbo on ebay... and what i havent figued out was the o2 housing. well i really dont know the termonology but after the turbo exhaust as been through the turbo there is a housing afterwards for the down pipe etc, were can i get it? and what is it called exactly? and can i add an external waste gate also?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
OUTINFRONT
Banned

Quote:
alright, so i look up at some 16g turbo on ebay... and what i havent figued out was the o2 housing. well i really dont know the termonology but after the turbo exhaust as been through the turbo there is a housing afterwards for the down pipe etc, were can i get it? and what is it called exactly? and can i add an external waste gate also?
Have you read through these.? I know the waste gate info is in there.

http://www.gsxr.com/search.php?searchid=2105102
OUTINFRONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
gsxrman2007
Rider

What kind of budget and time do ya'll have ? You can really push this motor if a few events is all you need to a motor. I would also recommend beefing up the internals if your gonna push a lot of boost. There is a whole lot of hp that can be had just by blueprinting the thing. If ya'll have the tools and time i would be real curious what kind of numbers could be had with a little motor work. For your case and i dont know the rules i would tear her completely down have the crank shaved and rebalanced reinstalled with some heavier duty bearings and forged rods and forged pistons with a higher compression ratio but dont go up much the turbo will fill the gap. I would tear her down this far and enlarge the oil passages and vents between the cylinders. This will help a little on engine life and decrease the pressures under the pistons on the down stroke. I would then flow bench the heads and go ahead and give them a multi-angle valve job with some polishing. Also drop in a cam because im sure ya'll will not be down in the rpm range so not much low end is needed. You'll be able to run much more boost with the stronger pistons and rods without fear of the failing. That sounds like a awesome project what type of chassis are ya'll going with a one off ? My buddy went with a slightly simpler setup basically a overgrown go cart put a stock 1k in it and used gsxr shocks all the way around. It was awesome but he got an offer and took it after 2 rides. One issue we faced was ground clearance under the rear sprocket we kept the chain drive but it forced us to go from a straight axle to independent rear suspension as well. Post pics as you go i would be interested how she looks when your done.
gsxrman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
lethienchi17
Squid

Sorry guys, im just very unexperienced at turbo'in motors, really its a new thing for most of us at the eng club, pardon my termonology.

to rephrase what iv said is that after the exhast has been through the hot side of the turbo, it has to exit from the side, i was wondering were i can purchase that houseing. when i look up at ebay turbos etc.... i can not seem to find that "houseing" which finishes the exhuast package.

As for the motor, i dont think we are gona rip it apart and do up the internals, we may rip the head off for some Port and poslish, but i am very inexpericed at taking a bike motor apart! If some one is from ontario toronro, maybe we can set somthing up!

please pm me.

Thank you for your time!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
lethienchi17
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrman2007 View Post
What kind of budget and time do ya'll have ? You can really push this motor if a few events is all you need to a motor. I would also recommend beefing up the internals if your gonna push a lot of boost. There is a whole lot of hp that can be had just by blueprinting the thing. If ya'll have the tools and time i would be real curious what kind of numbers could be had with a little motor work. For your case and i dont know the rules i would tear her completely down have the crank shaved and rebalanced reinstalled with some heavier duty bearings and forged rods and forged pistons with a higher compression ratio but dont go up much the turbo will fill the gap. I would tear her down this far and enlarge the oil passages and vents between the cylinders. This will help a little on engine life and decrease the pressures under the pistons on the down stroke. I would then flow bench the heads and go ahead and give them a multi-angle valve job with some polishing. Also drop in a cam because im sure ya'll will not be down in the rpm range so not much low end is needed. You'll be able to run much more boost with the stronger pistons and rods without fear of the failing. That sounds like a awesome project what type of chassis are ya'll going with a one off ? My buddy went with a slightly simpler setup basically a overgrown go cart put a stock 1k in it and used gsxr shocks all the way around. It was awesome but he got an offer and took it after 2 rides. One issue we faced was ground clearance under the rear sprocket we kept the chain drive but it forced us to go from a straight axle to independent rear suspension as well. Post pics as you go i would be interested how she looks when your done.
I will post some pictures as we go through, maybe ill take some of those suggestions mate! i appreincete it! I would love to learn how to take these motors apart and mod them but at the moment have no clue :S
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
uneedthis2
Pro Racer

Man I'm all for helping out but you've got to know something before you come asking questions.
Most 16g turbos have a 5 bolt exhaust housing, meaning the flange that you will get to bolt to your turbo and build your downpipe/exhaust off of will likely be a 5 bolt flange. There are divided exhaust housings and undivided, just depends on which turbo you end up getting. Most 16g's are internaly gated. You can however weld the flapper door shut and run an external gate if you have someone who actually knows about these things working with you
Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
Fstgixxer1000
Racer

Someone posted about building the motor and said you want to raise the compression well that's wrong. Maybe he missed typed it? You want to lower the compression in the motor to be able to run more boost. If your not going to rip the motor apart and build it, the boost and hp you can make will be limited. I'm going threw the samething right now and I'm getting my motor built.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
gsxrman2007
Rider

Hey im not too familiar with turbo setups on bikes but i have rebuilt a few car motors to handle the added power and i know that extra compression is for naturally aspirated engines but when i said go up a little i meant like .25 of a point. This being done with a flat top or other piston with less dome .If your more familiar please break it down for me i usually build naturally aspirated engines that have very strict rules on what can and cannot be done and a turbo would never make it past tech LOL

As for the exit of the exhaust having to come from a certain side why not just make a custom tip and direct it any way you want.Did I understand you to say your in an engineering school? Ok i was thinking like mmi or something. So you mostly need bolt on parts . What kind of budget are you working with and can you have external help ? Does anyone or your school have a full shop. By full do you have a machine shop or just a really good selection of tools. Rebuilding motors is not hard but changing things so you increase performance can be. Parts replacement is not bad with a few job specific tools you can do a lot. Any idea what kind of hp has been made in competition in the past ? or what your hoping to make i know you said 150-200 but that is really pushing a motor that only makes 100 ish stock. If you have any specific questions let us know. Good luck
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
uneedthis2
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrman2007 View Post
Hey im not too familiar with turbo setups on bikes but i have rebuilt a few car motors to handle the added power and i know that extra compression is for naturally aspirated engines but when i said go up a little i meant like .25 of a point. This being done with a flat top or other piston with less dome .If your more familiar please break it down for me i usually build naturally aspirated engines that have very strict rules on what can and cannot be done and a turbo would never make it past tech LOL

As for the exit of the exhaust having to come from a certain side why not just make a custom tip and direct it any way you want.Did I understand you to say your in an engineering school? Ok i was thinking like mmi or something. So you mostly need bolt on parts . What kind of budget are you working with and can you have external help ? Does anyone or your school have a full shop. By full do you have a machine shop or just a really good selection of tools. Rebuilding motors is not hard but changing things so you increase performance can be. Parts replacement is not bad with a few job specific tools you can do a lot. Any idea what kind of hp has been made in competition in the past ? or what your hoping to make i know you said 150-200 but that is really pushing a motor that only makes 100 ish stock. If you have any specific questions let us know. Good luck
150-200 isn't really pushing it. Like I said a local guy made 180 on his stock motor 600. It is by no means the most you'll get out of this motor!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Fstgixxer1000
Racer

Anytime you put a Turbo on a motor that is NA to begin with you want to lower the compression. NA motors generally have higher compression. The boost levels will add more compression. For example my Busa motor stock is 12.5:1. When I add the turbo I can only run 4lbs of boost, any more and it will be too much compression. I'm getting my motor built and the compression will drop to 9:1 so ill be running 10 lbs on pump and 14lbs on race gas.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
Circa4190
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstgixxer1000 View Post
Anytime you put a Turbo on a motor that is NA to begin with you want to lower the compression. NA motors generally have higher compression. The boost levels will add more compression. For example my Busa motor stock is 12.5:1. When I add the turbo I can only run 4lbs of boost, any more and it will be too much compression. I'm getting my motor built and the compression will drop to 9:1 so ill be running 10 lbs on pump and 14lbs on race gas.

And then you will let me ride it.

K6 750 Blue/White-Current
R.I.P. Riski-you will be missed brother.
Circa4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
uneedthis2
Pro Racer

Quote:
Not always true. There are those that push a stock motor past the normal limit. We had a stock motor busa on 11psi. Made like 315hp or something like that
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
Fstgixxer1000
Racer

Quote:
Not always true. There are those that push a stock motor past the normal limit. We had a stock motor busa on 11psi. Made like 315hp or something like that
Sure you can do it, but I want my motor to last lol.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
uneedthis2
Pro Racer

Quote:
Sure you can do it, but I want my motor to last lol.
Lasted 2 seasons, sold it, and it's still running. It's all in the tune
Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
lethienchi17
Squid

thanks guys, when i get all the parts in ill ask some more and also update what we have done!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
gsxrman2007
Rider

Quote:
My point exactly boost can be forced on top of stock or slightly higher compression piston but the lower end needs to be beefed accordingly. If the bottom end can take it, force the boost on higher compression and even more power will be generated yes you could run more boost on a lower compression piston but I'm guessing they want maximum power that needs to last of a few races and practices. If you ran stock compression stronger pistons rods and bearings you could run more boost and keep similar reliability. But i think it is safe to say any turbo added to stock or moded motor will shorten the life of the motor somewhat they extra strain will eventually take its toll while one may still get years of use two identical models under identical conditions the NA one will most likely last longer. In theory lowering compression to add boost VS lower boost and higher compression will equal out. What power are you making now fstgixxer1000 with 4lbs of boost and stock compression and what are you hoping to make after lowering the compression and adding more boost. I would think that the final pressures might be similar. Anyway just my two cents like i said turbo's aren't my thing.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #23
Fstgixxer1000
Racer

Everyone has opinions its cool. I'm sure it might last NA. On my Busa motor it makes to much compression to run more than 4lbs safety. Can I run 6 maybe 8lbs sure but I'm just lighting a fuse to a bomb. At 12.5:1 stock compression +8lbs that's a lot for a motor and idc how good the tune is. My bike is going to be a drag bike I'm not taking that chance of my motor blowing at the top end of the track when I'm going 140+. With lower compression ill be able to run more boost to make more power.

To answer the question about stock compression vs lowered compression with a Turbo. If I just add a head gasket and studs on lets say 6 maybe 8 lbs the bike should make 260 to 270 and I can't run race gas. With pistons it will drop it to 9:1 I can run 14 lbs on race gas and it should make ball park 320. But pump gas it will take more lbs to make the same power as with the stock pistons. In the end ill be able to make more power and ill have beefier internals. This is not just my opinion either, I have confirmed this with 6 months of research before I started my build.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #24
Kendren
Squid

Hey guys, i'm project lead on that team and im just going to toss you guys a bit more of info.

Its for the Formula SAE comp. run by the society of automotive engineers.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned up there is that we're going to be restricted to 20 mm of air intake. We'll be using a venturi for the intake design so we will make up (though im not sure how much) some of the lost air there. I'm the biggest noob when it comes to engines but I'm definitely willing to learn what we need to in order to get this engine running and to finish the event (which is a weekend long thing. We will however want this engine to make it to the next season. I dont think we'll have many KM's on it, maybe 200 or so test km's and then the weekend's event which may rack up 50 or so Km's)

So from what I understand, it would be best to run 9:1 compression so that we can run higher boost? And which tools do you think we'll need? are there any specific tools that we require for taking it apart? I know our shop does have a a decent amount of tools, but if we need anything specific I will look into getting it.

Thanks guys!

-Kenneth
Kendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
lethienchi17
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendren View Post
Hey guys, i'm project lead on that team and im just going to toss you guys a bit more of info.

Its for the Formula SAE comp. run by the society of automotive engineers.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned up there is that we're going to be restricted to 20 mm of air intake. We'll be using a venturi for the intake design so we will make up (though im not sure how much) some of the lost air there. I'm the biggest noob when it comes to engines but I'm definitely willing to learn what we need to in order to get this engine running and to finish the event (which is a weekend long thing. We will however want this engine to make it to the next season. I dont think we'll have many KM's on it, maybe 200 or so test km's and then the weekend's event which may rack up 50 or so Km's)

So from what I understand, it would be best to run 9:1 compression so that we can run higher boost? And which tools do you think we'll need? are there any specific tools that we require for taking it apart? I know our shop does have a a decent amount of tools, but if we need anything specific I will look into getting it.

Thanks guys!

-Kenneth
Hahaha man what are you doing on my thread haha, well yah these are one of them :S
Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #26
Bry
The Honey Badger

I know absolutely zero about turbo's and the terminology that goes with them but it really sounds like you guys bit off more than you can chew/got your hands full (your pick)..I hope I'm wrong and you guys succeed tho. Good luck
2011 ZX10R
Akra Full System<>Guhls ECU Flash<>PC5
Yoshi FE<>Puig DB<>Shorai LFX

07 750
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
Kendren
Squid

Haha, i thought id take a quick look at the progress on this one and saw the word chassis mentioned!

I finished the first take of the chassis a few nights back. 4130 steel most likely, we're doing a few tests with that and 1020 steel to finalize what we'll be using, but it's been done before and will be no worries.

I hope you're wrong as well Bry haha!
Kendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement