05 GSXR 600 HID Question : GSXR.com Forum : Suzuki GSX-R Forums
 
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Tech > Tech and performance chat.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
bsavi
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default 05 GSXR 600 HID Question

This is my first post on the forum but I did search prior to me posting.

I see that my lowbeam is H7 and my highbeam is H4.

Do you use a High/Low bulb for the high beam or can you just use a standard HID?

Are you guys using more of the 35w or 55w kits?

I do a lot of night riding and I think it would be a good investment to switch it up to a HID system.

Thanks in advance!

-Savi
bsavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
08gixxer13
Carpe Diem
 
08gixxer13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,169
Default

Most people use the 35w some companies have all the bulbs in one kit. 1 low beam 1 high beam and pilot lights if applicable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerfool View Post
I've stated before I like the whale dong.
08gixxer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
bsavi
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default

I have always used DDM for all of my HID needs so I will need to buy the H4 and H7 separate. So there are no high/low bulbs needed? I found some pictures of another guy on here that was using a high/low bulb in his high beam thats the only reason I ask. I cant seem to remember if both bulbs stay on all the time and then when you hit the high beams the top one gets brighter or if just the low beam stays on and when you hit the high beams the top one turns on.

I dont have my bike with me or I would just go and look.

Thanks for the help.
bsavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
08gixxer13
Carpe Diem
 
08gixxer13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavi View Post
I have always used DDM for all of my HID needs so I will need to buy the H4 and H7 separate. So there are no high/low bulbs needed? I found some pictures of another guy on here that was using a high/low bulb in his high beam thats the only reason I ask. I cant seem to remember if both bulbs stay on all the time and then when you hit the high beams the top one gets brighter or if just the low beam stays on and when you hit the high beams the top one turns on.

I dont have my bike with me or I would just go and look.

Thanks for the help.
Stock the low beam lower is on all the time and high beam upper
only comes on when you turn it on. The bikes I've done have bought 1 h4 and 1 h7. There is a way to have both lights on all the time I've just never done it hat way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerfool View Post
I've stated before I like the whale dong.
08gixxer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
bsavi
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default

That is great help. Thank you for your help!
bsavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Knee Dragger
Illis quos amo deserviam
 
Knee Dragger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicopee, MA Camp Lejeune, NC
Posts: 1,022
Default

I just bought mine off

Sport Bike Lites Dot Com

I got the 12,000k Lo-Beam I wanted that slight purplish tint
__________________
K9 600
Yoshi R-55/Yoshi Case Savers
CRG Levers/Driven -1 +2
Bazzaz ZFI/AFM/Z-BOMB
K&N Filter/Evotech Sliders
Spiegler Lines
Puig Z Racing WS
12k HID/R6 Throttle Mod

Last edited by Knee Dragger; 06-15-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Knee Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Mikeeg02
Local Wise Guy
 
Mikeeg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milroy/State College, PA
Posts: 871
Default

The 04/05 600/750 bikes, the h7 low is always on, and the upper is always on. The upper is a dual element bulb, (h4) that has a low and hi.


EDIT: When I did my HID low beam which is in the projector H7, it made a significant difference in lighting out put. And its only a 35w. I bought a standard H4 replacement 55w HID to put in the upper, and will wire it so it ONLY comes on as a high beam. The H4 currently does so little, Im pretty certain I wont miss its light in addition to what the projector low makes.
__________________
Mike K5 750


Last edited by Mikeeg02; 06-16-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: was in the car earlier
Mikeeg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
bsavi
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg02 View Post
The 04/05 600/750 bikes, the h7 low is always on, and the upper is always on. The upper is a dual element bulb, (h4) that has a low and hi.


EDIT: When I did my HID low beam which is in the projector H7, it made a significant difference in lighting out put. And its only a 35w. I bought a standard H4 replacement 55w HID to put in the upper, and will wire it so it ONLY comes on as a high beam. The H4 currently does so little, Im pretty certain I wont miss its light in addition to what the projector low makes.
This is what I was looking for! Thank you very much!

How is it you wired your high to come on only when commanded, I see in the tech stickys there is a diy on HIDs but it looks like he only uses the H4 plug and uses a switch but that is not how I would like to run it.

Is the high being on constantly almost like having day time running lights on a car where you can just pull a relay and it shuts it off or is more complex than that?

Thanks again!
bsavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
Mikeeg02
Local Wise Guy
 
Mikeeg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milroy/State College, PA
Posts: 871
Default

The H4 socket that plugs onto the standard H4 bulb has 3 wires. Ground, +low, +hi. Your HID kits typically come with loose leads and a spade terminal that you can put into the socket, where you want. So you would use the spot for hi beam, and ground. The low beam H7 will come the same way. The difference between the HID kits, is how the bulb goes into the socket you have. After that they are pretty much the same.

I have my H7 aimed just about the horizon, and Its probably just a tad bit high, but it illuminates the road well. Other then when trying to go hard into turns. So I pretty much take it easy at night. Not sure how better to improve night spirited riding, other then to know your roads, and have marks you have to hit.
__________________
Mike K5 750


Last edited by Mikeeg02; 06-16-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Mikeeg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
bsavi
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeg02 View Post
The H4 socket that plugs onto the standard H4 bulb has 3 wires. Ground, +low, +hi. Your HID kits typically come with loose leads and a spade terminal that you can put into the socket, where you want. So you would use the spot for hi beam, and ground. The low beam H7 will come the same way. The difference between the HID kits, is how the bulb goes into the socket you have. After that they are pretty much the same.

I have my H7 aimed just about the horizon, and Its probably just a tad bit high, but it illuminates the road well. Other then when trying to go hard into turns. So I pretty much take it easy at night. Not sure how better to improve night spirited riding, other then to know your roads, and have marks you have to hit.
That is great info, thanks for the fast response. I already ordered a standard H4 an H7 kit, maybe I will order a H4 High/Low Kit just to mess around with. Thanks for the info!
bsavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Mikeeg02
Local Wise Guy
 
Mikeeg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Milroy/State College, PA
Posts: 871
Default

No problem, caught me when I was at the computer. Good luck!
__________________
Mike K5 750

Mikeeg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum