» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > News > Club Level and Trackdays

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Post How to safety wire

I thought I would do a quick write up including some tips and tricks. My experience my current profession has me safety wire almost everything I change.

First start off by obtaining some safetywire(preferably .032), safetywire pliers(needle nose and dikes work well too but SW pliers has a locking mecanism thats awesome), and if needed a drill bit and a drill(to make holes).

A tip before you start

1.Its always best if the component your safety wiring from is the component your SW to. Reason being is 2 different components could counter vibrate and brake your safety wire. Sometimes you can't help it though. (like my oil drain plug to fairing brackets.

2.Pulling and twisting the safety wire as if the hole was the period and the backslash is the wire yeilds the best result
./

Second drill holes if needed or aquire predrilled hardware. I used the little tabs on the engine to drill through(see below) and the OEM hardware I drilled through

Third cut a piece of safety wire and insert it into the component that is the hardest to reach or the one with less room around it. The easier it is the better it will look.
1st.jpg

Now pull the safety wire tight, and in the direction of tightening. I usually do a couple twist by hand just to hold it in that position. Some people snap the wire like a rope using pliers to straighten it out as well.

Now pulling the safetywire measure to the next hole. If you are safetywiring hard ware to hardware(such as two bolts) make sure you are measuring to the tightening hole. I usually attach my pliers about an 1/8 of an inch after the hole, this makes up for the twists consuming the wires length.
meausre.jpg

Next is to twist. First twists will be clockwise, after you put it though the second component the twists will need to be counter clockwise, and if you do a third component also counter clockwise twists.
twist.jpg

Now double check to make sure the twist end at the hole. The closer the twist are to the hole the better and tighter your safety wiring will be. Once the correct twists are made feed one end into the hole and pull tight.
prepig.jpg

Grabing both strains tightley twist the wire counter clockwise.
prepig.jpg
Cut the twisted end .5-1 inch past the hole and bend in half or "pigtail it".
pig.jpg
and your done.

Hope this helped some of you

2013 Ninja 300-The Putter
2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
chevyguy4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

2012-08-08_16-35-30_400.jpg

2012-08-08_16-41-36_423.jpg
I put some special tape on to prevent the SW from rubbing on the engine case. Not sure if this is going to work but its worth a try.

2012-08-08_16-43-59_7.jpg

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
JETMECHANIC
ATTITUDE COUNTS

Not bad small vinyl tubing or heat shrink will keep it from chaffing too
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETMECHANIC View Post
Not bad small vinyl tubing or heat shrink will keep it from chaffing too
Yea those were other options but the F4 tape was readily available at work. If it works for an F-15 it will work for a bike right?

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
MR DANGLES
Pro Racer

nice lil write up

FU*K AVERAGE

THE HUNT IS ON

MR DANGLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
DemonRR
Rider

wtf, hand twisting? lol

get some safety wiring pliers and do it properly. you would get laughed at in tech inspection around here.

and some clear tubing goes long way between caliper bolts, rear axle bolt, front axle bolt, oil filler cap.

i ride track only, and in Advanced or intermediate group. my bike is safety wired per WERA rules. and not a singe area of safety wiring looks like this.

Last edited by DemonRR; 08-09-2012 at 03:09 AM.
DemonRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRR View Post
wtf, hand twisting? lol

get some safety wiring pliers and do it properly. you would get laughed at in tech inspection around here.

and some clear tubing goes long way between caliper bolts, rear axle bolt, front axle bolt, oil filler cap.

i ride track only, and in Advanced or intermediate group. my bike is safety wired per WERA rules. and not a singe area of safety wiring looks like this.
To each their own I guess.

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
boriquaracer
Novice

a good tip also is when you finish the end, you want to curl the tip away from open space, so there is less chance of getting it caught on anythiing. i did it by hand too when i was in school. its good to learn by hand first then get pliers after. excellent writeup.
boriquaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
ImStricken
Rider

Quote:
wtf, hand twisting? lol

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=92654
i redid a lot of my wiring. the pictures pictured were my first time ever doing it. i know some had more slack than needed, so i corrected alot of it. i also added silicone to almost every bolt in addition to the wiring job.

i agree, "hand wiring'? thats just silly. go on ebay and get the pliers for like $10 free shipping. i found so many new uses for the pliers & wire, its not even funny! you can drill tiny holes and secure camera mounts, and things not even associated with the bike. (knobs on lawn mowers/snow blowers/ that jiggle loose. etc)

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK. ILL UPLOAD NEW PICS OF THE BETTER SAFETY WIRING JOB SOON.
ImStricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Tinsnips
Mod of the North

Question from those following along at home: Safety wire I get but what is the point of silicone on the bolts?
MPG Wins: 32
Tinsnips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStricken View Post
http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=92654
i redid a lot of my wiring. the pictures pictured were my first time ever doing it. i know some had more slack than needed, so i corrected alot of it. i also added silicone to almost every bolt in addition to the wiring job.

i agree, "hand wiring'? thats just silly. go on ebay and get the pliers for like $10 free shipping. i found so many new uses for the pliers & wire, its not even funny! you can drill tiny holes and secure camera mounts, and things not even associated with the bike. (knobs on lawn mowers/snow blowers/ that jiggle loose. etc)

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK. ILL UPLOAD NEW PICS OF THE BETTER SAFETY WIRING JOB SOON.
Maybe you guys didn't understand what I meant(not saying you can't safety wire by hand, except for the pig tail that must be done with pliers to properly be done). I do a quick 2 twist just to hold it there. In my line of work there are areas where safety wire pliers are not feasable, according to federal regulation safety wiring can be done by hand up to the pig tail. I'm pretty sure an aircraft is a little more detremental than the bike. I did use pliers on these by the way.

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
ImStricken
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsnips View Post
Question from those following along at home: Safety wire I get but what is the point of silicone on the bolts?
a dab of it will prevent it from backing out. it will create some added resistance.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Tinsnips
Mod of the North

Quote:
a dab of it will prevent it from backing out. it will create some added resistance.
Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
DemonRR
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy4321 View Post
To each their own I guess.

its not a matter of "to each their own", but rather a doing it correctly type of thing. do it right, or why bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsnips View Post
some bolts are a pita or unable to safety wire. like the coolant drain bolt, stator bolt (big ass one in the R engine case cover), i also have a remote res for my rear shock, those bolts are siliconed.

and WTF do you mean "good write-up"? its dont incorrectly!!!!!! your teaching newbs the WRONG WAY to safety wire. good attempt, but a failed end result.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
ImStricken
Rider

Quote:
some bolts are a pita or unable to safety wire. like the coolant drain bolt
siliconed mine too!

i agree, either do the safety wiring right or why waste the drill bits to even drill the holes in the bolt heads.

hand twisting the first twist or two to get it started is fine, but going forth with the whole distance in my opinion could begin to put stress on the metal wire in places with inconsistencies and could cause a stress crack. (take a paper clip and bend it open into a hand crank. start hand twisting - it gets warm and cracks)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
DemonRR
Rider

Quote:
siliconed mine too!

i agree, either do the safety wiring right or why waste the drill bits to even drill the holes in the bolt heads.

hand twisting the first twist or two to get it started is fine, but going forth with the whole distance in my opinion could begin to put stress on the metal wire in places with inconsistencies and could cause a stress crack. (take a paper clip and bend it open into a hand crank. start hand twisting - it gets warm and cracks)

finally someone besides myself has a fakin clue about what their talking about when it comes to safety wiring. i figured more of you guys would straighen out the newb other than myself and the above poster.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
busdriver
Pro Racer

Quote:
finally someone besides myself has a fakin clue about what their talking about when it comes to safety wiring. i figured more of you guys would straighen out the newb other than myself and the above poster.
Ya know I think the op was just trying to share and I am sure his intentions were good. The negativity and attitude is not constructive, seems a bit harsh imo.

Maybe you could make a vid or write up of your own to show how it should be done properly, I would love to see it....

My Facebook

Last edited by busdriver; 08-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
busdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
Bry
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
Ya know I think the op was just trying to share and I am sure his intentions were good. The negativity and attitude is not constructive, seems a bit harsh imo.

Maybe you could make a vid or write up of your own to show how it should be done properly, I would love to see it....
+1.
2011 ZX10R
Akra Full System<>Guhls ECU Flash<>PC5
Yoshi FE<>Puig DB<>Shorai LFX<>Woodcraft sliders

07 750
Bry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #19
Bry
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
+1.
I am a bit interested in seeing how/why the WERA is the correct way in comparison to (what I assume is FAA) federal regulation for jet fighter engines.
2011 ZX10R
Akra Full System<>Guhls ECU Flash<>PC5
Yoshi FE<>Puig DB<>Shorai LFX<>Woodcraft sliders

07 750
Bry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
JETMECHANIC
ATTITUDE COUNTS

Is this what its supposed to look like? I did not hand twist any of this. As long as it is pulling the bolt /nut tighter and is tight meaning you cant skip rope with it and the pigtail is not a fish hook waiting to snag you who cares if it is hand twisted twisted with vicegrips safetywire pliers. Cut the OP some slack I would be curious to see some of your guys armchair safety wiring.

Last edited by JETMECHANIC; 08-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.
JETMECHANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Quote:
I just had an office full of avionics, E&E, and engine technicians laughing at this. They all have had 3-9 years of experience safety wiring every day. Your entitled to your own opinion but its wrong. If I can stand next to an engineer from pratt&whitney and do it, what creditentials do you have to back your opinion up. I bet you didn't know we also have a certain twist per inch ratio depending on the size of the safety wire, pig tails have to be a minimum of 3 full twists 1/4 to 1/2 inch, the second fastner in a three way can be neutral, and safety wire is not suppose to be pulled off like alot do its suppose to be snipped at the components hole. Safetywiring by hand is actually stronger when done acurately than with safeywire pliers, the reason why is because the pliers crush and create small tears in the wire. Try twisting some wire than grip the very end and whipping it hard. The safey wire will break at where you gripped. Do it by hand and it takes alot more strength to break and it usually breaks at the compenent.

Like I said I safety wire every day on multi-million dollar jet engines. I've probably done more in a busy day than you've done in your life. I've done components you could only imagine, in places where you can't physically see anything your doing and your arms are wrapped up in a pretzel.

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9

Last edited by chevyguy4321; 08-09-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Oh yea and if you want to see the FAA regulation on safetywireing go to http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/99861 chapter 7 and go to page Page 7-20 diagram shows safetywiring by hand with alot of information and examples. Fun little fact aircraft maintenance regulations are the strictest federally enforced vehicle regulations. If I was wrong about the procedures I'm talking about here I would go to jail the claims of what I do on the aircraft.

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
425_Rider
Rider

I work at Boeing. We had to do safety wire during training. I know a little about it. Yeah that measuring TPI can suck sometimes on the thin wires. We usually use the pliers though.
425_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #24
B&M
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy4321 View Post
Oh yea and if you want to see the FAA regulation on safetywireing go to http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/99861 chapter 7 and go to page Page 7-20 diagram shows safetywiring by hand with alot of information and examples. Fun little fact aircraft maintenance regulations are the strictest federally enforced vehicle regulations. If I was wrong about the procedures I'm talking about here I would go to jail the claims of what I do on the aircraft.
+1 Aaaand Thats the game

WITH GsxREAT power Comes GsxREAT responsibility
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Its a vagina thing bro, you should understand that
B&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #25
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425_Rider View Post
I work at Boeing. We had to do safety wire during training. I know a little about it. Yeah that measuring TPI can suck sometimes on the thin wires. We usually use the pliers though.
Oh don't get me wrong pliers is way easier to use, quiker, and 95% of the time I use them.

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #26
DemonRR
Rider

Quote:

it seems like this forum is all about coddling its members. im NOT a coddler. if i see smething WRONG, i WILL say my peace and correct them. weather my help may be harsh or not, im not going to stand back and let someone do a job incorrectly or unsafe. if thats the way most of you on this forum feel, then i will just keep to the other side where these actions do not go unnoticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETMECHANIC View Post
Is this what its supposed to look like? I did not hand twist any of this. As long as it is pulling the bolt /nut tighter and is tight meaning you cant skip rope with it and the pigtail is not a fish hook waiting to snag you who cares if it is hand twisted twisted with vicegrips safetywire pliers. Cut the OP some slack I would be curious to see some of your guys armchair safety wiring.

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!!!!!!!
hey OP, this is what its supposed to be. each one nice and tight. and pulling the bolt tighening to each other.

wera, safety wiring or silicone:

fork pinch bolts, front axle, caliper mounting bolts, front brake pad pins, front brake caliper line banjos (x2), brake line banjos at the master cylinder), clutch line banjo (if equipped), radiator cap, coolant drain plug, oil filler plug, oil drain, oil filter, 2 spots on riders right case cover (i forgot the exact name), rear axle, rear caliper mounting bolts, rear caliper brake pad pins, rear brake line banjo fitting.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
SRAD600
Live Fast Die FUN

Quote:
it seems like this forum is all about coddling its members. im NOT a coddler. .
Quoted straight from the gdc hand book.

Those guys really need a new insult. Look around.

Sent from my Cellular device....probably while driving so watch out :P

K5 1K street - '10 600RR track
GSXR.com Moderator
SRAD600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #28
Tinsnips
Mod of the North

Holy Fawk. Chevy good post. I haven't done this & learned from it. Thanks.

Some of the rest of ya need to take the thread for what it is, information on how to do it. It's like the man is teaching you to spell & you're criticizing his handwriting.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #29
illest05
Pro Racer

Hey Honda guy nice write up.never really thought about safety wiring anything on bile but now u gave me some ideas.
illest05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #30
antor1
Rider

Ive always used safety wire pliers. Never seen anyone do it by hand. Then again safety wiring is not my profession but at the track everyone I know or seen uses pliers.
IMO regardless of how its done properly or works better as in more resistant, I believe it looks neater with pliers. Plus although the theory/fact of it being stronger when done by hand I personally think just from common sense that its irrelevant, I mean how much pull force can a bolt have when its coming lose? I am pretty sure not enough to break the safety wire. Also going on the common sense route I rather have it snug and tight (like everything else, LOL) cause I wouldnt want a caliper bolt going a couple of mm or even 1/2 an inch lose, nor my oil drain bolt. Dunno maybe the FAA does safety wiring as a minor additional security. Cause if the case is that the safety wire is used to really hold a bolt in place on a flying plane, im not going to be on an airplane anymore.

Also no offense to the FAA guys here on this board, but I have a buddy that rides with me and is an airplane mechanic and the guy cant change a wheel on a bicycle, nothing at all on the bike. I do all his work. I have always asked myself how the fuk do you work on planes? No BS.
antor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #31
425_Rider
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by antor1 View Post
Dunno maybe the FAA does safety wiring as a minor additional security. Cause if the case is that the safety wire is used to really hold a bolt in place on a flying plane, im not going to be on an airplane anymore.
There's a lot of stress, vibration, and twisting all over the airplane. We're not always, rarely actually, allowed to use locktite; for corrosion reasons. So should something work itself loose, the wire keeps it tight and in place. Planes these days are full of redundancies for safety reasons.
425_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #32
antor1
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425_Rider View Post
There's a lot of stress, vibration, and twisting all over the airplane. We're not always, rarely actually, allowed to use locktite; for corrosion reasons. So should something work itself loose, the wire keeps it tight and in place. Planes these days are full of redundancies for safety reasons.
Yeah my friend tells me a lot of stuff that goes on at his work place and it just scares the living crap outta me. Like owners being cheap but at the same time the FAA is pretty strict.
antor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
DemonRR
Rider

this thread is full of FAIL!!!! the OP is teaching you the WRONG way to safety wire and the majority of you riders are sying its ok to do something the WRONG way. HOLY SHIT. you guys really crac me up with all the shiti see going on here. incorrect safety wiring, riding in shorts, flippy flops and no lid.

this site should be renamed gs(FAIL)xr.com on so many levels.

^^
and that shit is sig worthy!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
Motionelco
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
holy fawk. Chevy good post. I haven't done this & learned from it. Thanks.

Some of the rest of ya need to take the thread for what it is, information on how to do it. It's like the man is teaching you to spell & you're criticizing his handwriting.
+1
Motionelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #35
chevyguy4321
Pro Racer

Quote:
this thread is full of FAIL!!!! the OP is teaching you the WRONG way to safety wire and the majority of you riders are sying its ok to do something the WRONG way. HOLY SHIT. you guys really crac me up with all the shiti see going on here. incorrect safety wiring, riding in shorts, flippy flops and no lid.

^^
Since I've supplied a publication with no indication of me being wrong written by engineers of a high degree of intelligence, with time proven technique I guess that makes me wrong. Go troll somewhere else.

2011 GSXR 750-Track only
2001 GSXR 600-sold
1998 GSX 600-sold

Cage

2013 Silverado 2500HD

MPG wins 9
Old 08-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
Tinsnips
Mod of the North

Quote:

^^
If we (or the FAA for that matter) don't meet your high standards it's probably best you take a hike.

Last edited by Tinsnips; 08-10-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #37
ImStricken
Rider

GENTLEMEN! ENOUGH!!
stop this nonsense. to each his own, do as you feel fit.
everyone stated their side, everyone has their experience/expertise.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
gixxerfool
MPG mod

You know, I'm all for correcting someone if they're wrong but, there's no reason to be a douche. It's a discussion forum on the Internet. If he gets laughed out of tech then so be it. On the other hand, if you're going to call someone out on their technical skills, you really should double check your grammar and spelling first. It's hard for your insults, sorry critique, to be taken be seriously otherwise. Just saying.

As for the OP, nice write up, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3K View Post
Dewd, you do exist....I thought you were some undefined bit of code that lived throughout the internet like Neo or the Oracle.

Clicky=> Hotdog in a Hallway<=Clicky
gixxerfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #39
busdriver
Pro Racer

Aint it great when company stops by........

My Facebook
busdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #40
Tinsnips
Mod of the North

Quote:
Aint it great when company stops by........
You got anything to back up that statement Bus? You need to back shit up if you make claims here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement