» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   GSXR.com > Chat > General GSXR Chat

Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
vishalxyz
Squid

Default Is it possible to Hot wire a 07 GSXR 600

Hey guys,

My 2007 GSXR 600 Black recently got stolen.

First thing, Please go and read more about it on this thread.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?p...97#post1174497

I will appreciate it.

Second, I have a question. I am trying to figure out how it was done. Someone saw a person riding my bike off. Which means that It was either hot wired, or they had the key.

Not my friend who owns a Yamaha said that the 07 gsxr 600 shouldn't be able to hot wire. He said my ECU is probably under my seat , and that My bike has a electronically controlled steering dampener. Which means that The steering lock couldnt have been broken. And even if it was , it wouldnt have been able to be driven too far because it would have resulted in some damage.

So yeah the only conclusion is that either the guy i got my key duplicated from, or someone else had the key to my bike. or it got hotwired.

What do you guys think? can the 07 gsxr 600 be Hotwired and steering lock be broken?

Thanks guys , much appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy.jpg (94.5 KB, 100 views)
vishalxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
GSXR Joker
Rider

They could have made a switch in staters. Their some story on here about that; I am pretty sure its a sticky. As for the steering lock; in all reality it is useless. They can be broken, and ridden with them broken.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
reckyb
Pro Racer

Sorry to hear that

It's a mechanical damper not elec

I got same model bike

Sent from my MB525 using Motorcycle.com Free App

mpg gumball 2

previous DOMO(outside USA) entertainer
reckyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
loride91
Pro Racer

I fail to see how the damper is related at all whether electronic or not. Its not like the steering lock is designed through the damper. Had you had the bike serviced recently? Maybe a shady mechanic or clerical person copied your key or wrote the number down from it and made one later, they pretty much always ask for relevant information or have access to it via your registration card which may have been under your seat as far as where you live. This happens easily with the right combination of lowlifes around.

Retired k7 1000, with one or two things done to it.
loride91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
vishalxyz
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by loride91 View Post
I fail to see how the damper is related at all whether electronic or not. Its not like the steering lock is designed through the damper. Had you had the bike serviced recently? Maybe a shady mechanic or clerical person copied your key or wrote the number down from it and made one later, they pretty much always ask for relevant information or have access to it via your registration card which may have been under your seat as far as where you live. This happens easily with the right combination of lowlifes around.
I did get my key duplicated by this ghetto and shady looking locksmith. . . . but i didnt see him make a third copy in front of me.

and what do you mean when you say wrote the number down from it?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
loride91
Pro Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalxyz View Post
I did get my key duplicated by this ghetto and shady looking locksmith. . . . but i didnt see him make a third copy in front of me.

and what do you mean when you say wrote the number down from it?
There is a four digit number associated with suzuki keys. When you buy the bike it comes on a little tag on a keyring type thing with the bike. Some people leave this with their key, haha, its intended to be used if you need another key, therefore if you lose the key that had it attached to it, you have lost the number to get a new one made. Sorry for the loss. Was the person that said they saw someone on it very sure? Much more likely that it was picked up with a minivan.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
vishalxyz
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by loride91 View Post
There is a four digit number associated with suzuki keys. When you buy the bike it comes on a little tag on a keyring type thing with the bike. Some people leave this with their key, haha, its intended to be used if you need another key, therefore if you lose the key that had it attached to it, you have lost the number to get a new one made. Sorry for the loss. Was the person that said they saw someone on it very sure? Much more likely that it was picked up with a minivan.
Yes, He said he came face to face while this guy was leaving the appartment community. and He was in a rush he swerved around this guy. The person even described the person, but couldnt describe his face because he had a helmet on. Also this happened at 11 AM.

and yeah I did have my tag attached to this key when i went to get it duplicated . . .
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
loride91
Pro Racer

Quote:
Yes, He said he came face to face while this guy was leaving the appartment community. and He was in a rush he swerved around this guy. The person even described the person, but couldnt describe his face because he had a helmet on. Also this happened at 11 AM.

and yeah I did have my tag attached to this key when i went to get it duplicated . . .
Ok, the tag probably made it easier on the thief, although I don't know how accessible that info is to the average key cutting type verse buying one from the Suzuki dealer. I would imagine at the dealer that they would want proof of ownership with the four digit code to get one made. Anything can be hotwired with the right know how as well. It's not like these use transponder keys either which only slows a thief down a little. I installed car audio and security for years. If they want it, they will get it. It's just how annoying and how much risk you can make for them to deter them. Was the steering locked? Did you have a rear disk lock on it? Sadly you need these and more to keep what's yours now a days.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
EvilGSXR
Pro Racer

Something just seems odd that the thief would steal it at 11 am in broad daylight. You sure its not a person you know or might have had someone in your apartment recently that would have taken the spare key and stole your bike?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Mister Tee
Shot Caller

Just as a moderator note, I do not want to see REAL DETAILED accounts of how to hotwire motorcycles posted on here. General postings are fine to allow people to know how to take adequate precautions, such as the referenced sticky. We don't need to contribute free advice to would be thieves.

Thank you.
Mister Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Heaton750f
Pro Racer

Did you have it insured? Hope you get it back man.
Heaton750f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
B&M
Rider

damn dude! sorry to hear your babe was stolen! we have the same bike

i have a tracker on mine that i cant even find, and i have taken my bike apart to the bone!

i know trackers are a pricy but replacing your bike is even more

hope you find the bike and drop the thief off in sandys path

WITH GsxREAT power Comes GsxREAT responsibility
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Its a vagina thing bro, you should understand that
B&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
EvilGSXR
Pro Racer

they should start putting tracking chips in the frames of bikes from the factory, sure it will cost a little more, but I would pay a little extra to have piece of mind.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Akragixxer
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGSXR View Post
they should start putting tracking chips in the frames of bikes from the factory, sure it will cost a little more, but I would pay a little extra to have piece of mind.
I think that's a great idea
But I'm sure if that did happen the theifs would just find a way around it
Akragixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
EvilGSXR
Pro Racer

unfortunately this is true, like stated before if a thief really wants something they will get it.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
GSXR Joker
Rider

If you get your bike stolen; sometimes its better to not get it back. You know they are going to pick it apart and sell parts out. Sometimes you can get lucky and get it back altogether. Hope you get back to riding soon.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Vicious
Pro Racer

To answer your question, your bike can be hot wired and the steering lock can easily be broken. Your ECU doesn't activate strictly with your key chip like the newer Ducati ECUs.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss.
Did you have Theft coverage?

R.I.P. Riski
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #18
ty111
Squid

hi guys here in S.A the F--kers load them up in vans n drive away i no its easier to take none coded models, but ive heard of coded models been stolen n ridden away.
Not cool sorry bro
ty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
vishalxyz
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
To answer your question, your bike can be hot wired and the steering lock can easily be broken. Your ECU doesn't activate strictly with your key chip like the newer Ducati ECUs.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss.
Did you have Theft coverage?
hmmm now the question is if its a tedious process to hot wire it. BEcause the theft happened at 11 in the morning. So if its a tedious process, its less likely that it was hot wired.

and now I did not have theft coverage.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
sp220
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
hmmm now the question is if its a tedious process to hot wire it. BEcause the theft happened at 11 in the morning. So if its a tedious process, its less likely that it was hot wired.

and now I did not have theft coverage.
I would go back to the shady locksmith key idea....I don't think anyone would be doing it at 11 am......but ya never know.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
BigCat10R
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp220 View Post
I would go back to the shady locksmith key idea....I don't think anyone would be doing it at 11 am......but ya never know.
im with u, nobody "stealing" something will do it in broad daylight, but somebody simply taking a bike for a ride, nobody will question. Helmet was on, key inserted an bike started, I know I wouldnt be suspicious
BigCat10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
sp220
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat10R View Post
im with u, nobody "stealing" something will do it in broad daylight, but somebody simply taking a bike for a ride, nobody will question. Helmet was on, key inserted an bike started, I know I wouldnt be suspicious
Right
Advertisement