Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

GSXR 600 Dies at Idle @ stops

22K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ripsweetness 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up a 2005 GSXR 600 with 700 miles on it. When I start up the bike in the morning it runs fine until the bike warms up to around 130 degrees. Once the bike is warmed up, it seems to idle really rough until it dies. Also, when I take it out and go to push the clutch in, or stop, the bike dies.

This bike had been sitting around for a year or so before I bought it. I replaced the old gas with 91 octane, and I drained some of the oil out of the engine since it was around half a quart over. Keep in mind this bike only has 700 miles on it. Still barely broke in. Any help would be great! Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds like a sticking Idle Air Control to me.

#4 ·
Or it could be the warm idle adjustment - should be 1,300 rpm +/- 100. Adjustment procedures are in the manual.

also,

1. A three year old bike with only 700 miles has been sitting around for probably about three years. You should drain the oil completely and change it.

2. You don't need (or want) 91 octane. Your 600 is designed to run on 87.

#6 ·
gsxrguy1,go get a can of Seafoam from your local Napa store. Then add a small splash to the fuel tank and run the bike out on a smooth long road.Give the bike roll ons with throttle. Let it pull hard.This stuff should help clear gumed up jets and improove idle quality for you.It only cost about $9.00 a can.

#7 ·
Thanks, I found the problem out yesterday. It turns out the previous owner had attempted a wheelie and dumped the bike. He did not pick it back up for a few minutes cause oil to run into the spark plugs. It had fouled out a plug. I changed the plugs and all is good. Thanks again.

#12 ·
pretty much everything everyone above me said could be the problem. i would first suggest changing the spark plugs and changing the oil. Even if this doesn't fix it, it probably needs to be done anyways.
If that doesn't work, try to adjust the idle at which the throttle is set... even if it's not the true cause of the problem, it will hopefully fix it anyways :clap:

#13 ·
It's a '04 with 10,800 miles on it. It was just serviced not long ago. And I rode it with no problems when I first got it.

Is it hard to switch out the spark plugs? Is it just taking engine cover out? I don't wanna go to any shop if it's easy to do. Man, I'm such a noob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.