Trying to get more pull out of 1st and 2nd gear. What should I do? - GSXR.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Jordan4186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cherry Point, NC
Posts: 88
Trying to get more pull out of 1st and 2nd gear. What should I do?

I have a k7 600 and it feels like 1st and 2nd gear lags a little. When I take off from stand still it seems like I could be getting a whole lot more. Is it the sprockets? The previous owner changed them. I have yet to see how many teeth. Plus I dont know if the front sprocket has been changed. I will find out more and post it. What is the best number of teeth for my bike to perform better? Or is there any other mods I could do?
Jordan4186 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Racer
 
AzGixxRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Posts: 815
The stock gearing for that year is 16-43 try a -1 and a exhaust.
How many miles are on your bike? It might need some plugs and a filter. Just a thought...

L2 1000

2010 ZX10 - broken
K7 750 sold..
K6 Gixx 600 Clapped!
AzGixxRider is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Pro Racer
 
Mayday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: *Lynchburg, VA* Ride: K7 GSXR 600
Posts: 1,466
Contact the previous owner if you can and ask him about the sprockets. If he sprocketed for a higher top speed, it would be slower down low. Not sure why anyone would do that though unless they are trying to go for mile runs maybe.

Most people like to do -1 tooth in the front and +2 teeth in the back. -1/+2 won't take much away from the top end, but it will make your bike accelerate like a rocket. I love it, definitely a cheap and easy way to make your bike more enjoyable when you get used to or tired of your bike.

edit: thanks hyfee!


Last edited by Mayday; 12-11-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Mayday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Jordan4186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cherry Point, NC
Posts: 88
It has 10,048 miles. What should I change out? Im trying to get into doing my own work.
Jordan4186 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Pro Racer
 
Glantzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 1,699
you could always look into buying a TRE or doing the mod for it, we have that somewhere on here. Only thing is I think it turns off the gear indicator.

K7 600 Black+Blue - Sold
L1 1000 Black+Silver - Current
Full R-77 Yoshimura System
Bazzaz Z-Bomb
PC5
MPG: Round Barn, Living Cow, TL1000, Pool Table
Glantzy is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Novice
 
Jordan4186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cherry Point, NC
Posts: 88
I have been looking into getting that TRE mod. But I have yet to see anybody with it around here with it to ask them what they thought about it.
Jordan4186 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Racer
 
AzGixxRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Posts: 815
If your plugs haven't been changed they need to be. On my 600 it made a difference check the air filter and the gearing too. Start simple...

L2 1000

2010 ZX10 - broken
K7 750 sold..
K6 Gixx 600 Clapped!
AzGixxRider is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Pro Racer
 
Glantzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 1,699
There are a few, I personally am waiting to hear more about GsxrTune. They flash your ECU instead of buying a PC or Bazzaz, and I believe they have you hook up a PC just to record info on how you ride your bike and then build a map that perfectly suits your riding style. It is also much cheaper. Worth looking into.

K7 600 Black+Blue - Sold
L1 1000 Black+Silver - Current
Full R-77 Yoshimura System
Bazzaz Z-Bomb
PC5
MPG: Round Barn, Living Cow, TL1000, Pool Table
Glantzy is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Rider
 
hyfee66elco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Sacramento
Posts: 266
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Contact the previous owner if you can and ask him about the sprockets. If he sprocketed for a higher top speed, it would be slower down low. Not sure why anyone would do that though unless they are trying to go for mile runs maybe.

Most people like to do +1 tooth in the front and -2 teeth in the back. +1/-2 won't take much away from the top end, but it will make your bike accelerate like a rocket. I love it, definitely a cheap and easy way to make your bike more enjoyable when you get used to or tired of your bike.
Actually for acceleration you want smaller sprocket in front and bigger in rear. So you'd want -1 front +2 rear or -1/+2. Like stated in your sig

K7 600
Puig windscreen
Pazzo levers
K&N Air Filter
Leo Vince Slip-On
+2 Rear
Speedo-Healer
hyfee66elco is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro Racer
 
Mayday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: *Lynchburg, VA* Ride: K7 GSXR 600
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfee66elco View Post
Actually for acceleration you want smaller sprocket in front and bigger in rear. So you'd want -1 front +2 rear or -1/+2. Like stated in your sig
Yeah, thanks for correcting me, I'll change it. Late night studying has eaten away at my brain :( lol. Good lookin out.

Mayday is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Novice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 43
ECU flashing would help tremendously with the lag... you get the benefits of the TRE without compromised Ram-Air compensation and without effecting the Gear Indicator. Also, We will load up a fuel map and ignition map that will work with your exhaust and automatically be corrected for current atmospheric conditions unlike any piggy-back tuner. this means that you will no longer need different maps for different conditions.

If you are unsure i recommend you contact hyper15125 or Solo-six among the others regarding the difference an ECU flash makes.

Also, Satisfaction is Guaranteed.

Last edited by GsxrTuneECU; 12-12-2010 at 03:48 PM.
GsxrTuneECU is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Novice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glantzy View Post
There are a few, I personally am waiting to hear more about GsxrTune. They flash your ECU instead of buying a PC or Bazzaz, and I believe they have you hook up a PC just to record info on how you ride your bike and then build a map that perfectly suits your riding style. It is also much cheaper. Worth looking into.
We do offer tuning to a data log but unfortunately we cannot provide the data-logger. We recommend using an innovate data logger. You will need to log WB o2, RPM and TPS channels (IAP and SAP also greatly help tuning the low range). Many shops have data-logging capabilities and you could probably find a shop locally to set up the data-logging for relatively cheap. Typically we will just use a published fuel map or a map developed in-house for the base fuel values.
GsxrTuneECU is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Pro Racer
 
Glantzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 1,699
Haha figured you chime in! I really can't wait to try you guys out!

K7 600 Black+Blue - Sold
L1 1000 Black+Silver - Current
Full R-77 Yoshimura System
Bazzaz Z-Bomb
PC5
MPG: Round Barn, Living Cow, TL1000, Pool Table
Glantzy is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Novice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glantzy View Post
Haha figured you chime in! I really can't wait to try you guys out!
thanks, you wont be disappointed.
GsxrTuneECU is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Racer
 
gsxrrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 637
try this....

you need a tre man.. there is a company on the west coast who makes them with the usual 1-5 indicator fix and the new ones have the 6'th gear fix for the gear indicator.. amazing difference. another thing about the tre is that your bike retards the timing for many things...like a fuel or air code... or when the clutch is out of adjustment... funny story...(like a dumbass) i hated that you had to pull the clutch on my 08 to start it so in looking i saw the little button behind the lever that signals the motor that the clutch is in...i figured "well thats easy" and i cut the little tit off.. it worked!!!! but it activated the timing retarder and made it run just like you are saying! me being the anal prick that i am had it in the shop the next day...(rick beggs..at R-n-R cycles in sterling VA.) and my buddy rick said...you are a real dumbass!!! it was costing me about 10hp with the retarder....lol get a tre man. and like i said.. they got 'em now so they dont change the indicator at all.. moral of the story...(PULL IN THE FUCKIN CLUTCH TO START IT) LOL
gsxrrdr is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Novice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrrdr View Post
you need a tre man.. there is a company on the west coast who makes them with the usual 1-5 indicator fix and the new ones have the 6'th gear fix for the gear indicator.. amazing difference. another thing about the tre is that your bike retards the timing for many things...like a fuel or air code... or when the clutch is out of adjustment... funny story...(like a dumbass) i hated that you had to pull the clutch on my 08 to start it so in looking i saw the little button behind the lever that signals the motor that the clutch is in...i figured "well thats easy" and i cut the little tit off.. it worked!!!! but it activated the timing retarder and made it run just like you are saying! me being the anal prick that i am had it in the shop the next day...(rick beggs..at R-n-R cycles in sterling VA.) and my buddy rick said...you are a real dumbass!!! it was costing me about 10hp with the retarder....lol get a tre man. and like i said.. they got 'em now so they dont change the indicator at all.. moral of the story...(PULL IN THE FUCKIN CLUTCH TO START IT) LOL

Agreed, even just a TRE makes a big difference. We offer TRE only flashing for $50. With this, the gear indicator still works and unlike any plug-in tre the ram-air compensation still works.
GsxrTuneECU is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Novice
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 43
GsxrTuneECU is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should you be able to just pull the key out, when running? NovaStar Tech and performance chat. 30 07-10-2011 04:45 PM
1st gear to 2nd wheelie???? killerbox Stunts 14 09-30-2007 04:35 PM
Gear Indicator k7 600 switches 1st 2nd clworkma Tech and performance chat. 14 08-12-2007 10:57 AM
01gsxr1000how do i get it up in 2nd gear atdacrib2002 Stunts 34 07-11-2006 07:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome