2009 gsxr 750 stunt sprocket - GSXR.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
2009 gsxr 750 stunt sprocket

Hi guys, new member and first post here. I’d love some help.
so I own a 2009 gsxr 750 and I want to make wheelies easier/safer by switching out the sprocket. I was looking at a +10 rear sprocket from Vortex, but a more seasoned stunt rider told me that it would be too much and my highway driving would suffer too much (he said i would hit max speed at like 8000 rpm).

After talking to him I found a sprocket kit by vortex for a -3 +3 and a chain.
Is -3 too much on the front? I’ve heard of guys going -1 +3.
will the -3+3 make a significant difference to my wheelies? Will I still be able to hit highway speeds of 160km an hour?

thanks very much.
Hghgorilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Winchester Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winchester Ky
Posts: 7,896
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Hi guys, new member and first post here. Iíd love some help.
so I own a 2009 gsxr 750 and I want to make wheelies easier/safer by switching out the sprocket. I was looking at a +10 rear sprocket from Vortex, but a more seasoned stunt rider told me that it would be too much and my highway driving would suffer too much (he said i would hit max speed at like 8000 rpm).

After talking to him I found a sprocket kit by vortex for a -3 +3 and a chain.
Is -3 too much on the front? Iíve heard of guys going -1 +3.
will the -3+3 make a significant difference to my wheelies? Will I still be able to hit highway speeds of 160km an hour?

thanks very much.
I think minus 3 on the front is too much.
The reasoning for minus 3 plus 3 is you could use the same chain but I donít think itís the way to go.

I am a ward of the state.
Winchester Boy is online now  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester Boy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Hi guys, new member and first post here. I’d love some help.
so I own a 2009 gsxr 750 and I want to make wheelies easier/safer by switching out the sprocket. I was looking at a +10 rear sprocket from Vortex, but a more seasoned stunt rider told me that it would be too much and my highway driving would suffer too much (he said i would hit max speed at like 8000 rpm).

After talking to him I found a sprocket kit by vortex for a -3 +3 and a chain.
Is -3 too much on the front? I’ve heard of guys going -1 +3.
will the -3+3 make a significant difference to my wheelies? Will I still be able to hit highway speeds of 160km an hour?

thanks very much.
I think minus 3 on the front is too much.
The reasoning for minus 3 plus 3 is you could use the same chain but I don’t think it’s the way to go.
Too much in what way? Any reason?
What would a better set up be for my situation?
Hghgorilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Rider
 
Vader225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wilson NC
Posts: 324
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Hi guys, new member and first post here. Iíd love some help.
so I own a 2009 gsxr 750 and I want to make wheelies easier/safer by switching out the sprocket. I was looking at a +10 rear sprocket from Vortex, but a more seasoned stunt rider told me that it would be too much and my highway driving would suffer too much (he said i would hit max speed at like 8000 rpm).

After talking to him I found a sprocket kit by vortex for a -3 +3 and a chain.
Is -3 too much on the front? Iíve heard of guys going -1 +3.
will the -3+3 make a significant difference to my wheelies? Will I still be able to hit highway speeds of 160km an hour?

thanks very much.
-3 on the front I feel is too much. It wears out the chain faster by causing it to squeeze tighter to make the turn. -1 +3 will give you a lot more torque and you'll still have some top speed. With the -3 +3 you'd be going about 90km/hr at 5300 rpm. -1 +3 will let you go up to about 100km/hr at 5300 rpm and make it feel a lot faster without revving up super fast. With the -3 +3 you'd barely be able to hit 160km/hr with it maxxed out, but you can do it easily with the -1 +3 sprockets.

Check out https://www.gearingcommander.com/
It lets you load up your bike and see what the differences in sprocket sizes change on your bike.

Not Grinding, Not Riding
Vader225 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Winchester Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winchester Ky
Posts: 7,896
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Too much in what way? Any reason?
What would a better set up be for my situation?
Like Vader said it's just too tight of a turn on the chain.
One thing to keep in mind.
If you change the gearing by 20 percent you will change the speed by 20 percent at a given rpm.

I am a ward of the state.
Winchester Boy is online now  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader225 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Hi guys, new member and first post here. I’d love some help.
so I own a 2009 gsxr 750 and I want to make wheelies easier/safer by switching out the sprocket. I was looking at a +10 rear sprocket from Vortex, but a more seasoned stunt rider told me that it would be too much and my highway driving would suffer too much (he said i would hit max speed at like 8000 rpm).

After talking to him I found a sprocket kit by vortex for a -3 +3 and a chain.
Is -3 too much on the front? I’ve heard of guys going -1 +3.
will the -3+3 make a significant difference to my wheelies? Will I still be able to hit highway speeds of 160km an hour?

thanks very much.
-3 on the front I feel is too much. It wears out the chain faster by causing it to squeeze tighter to make the turn. -1 +3 will give you a lot more torque and you'll still have some top speed. With the -3 +3 you'd be going about 90km/hr at 5300 rpm. -1 +3 will let you go up to about 100km/hr at 5300 rpm and make it feel a lot faster without revving up super fast. With the -3 +3 you'd barely be able to hit 160km/hr with it maxxed out, but you can do it easily with the -1 +3 sprockets.

Check out https://www.gearingcommander.com/
It lets you load up your bike and see what the differences in sprocket sizes change on your bike.
Thank you guys for your help. Really appreciate it.
Last question, will -1 + 3 make a very noticeable difference in bringing my front wheel up?
Hghgorilla is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Winchester Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winchester Ky
Posts: 7,896
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Thank you guys for your help. Really appreciate it.
Last question, will -1 + 3 make a very noticeable difference in bringing my front wheel up?
It should and still be ok on the highway.

I am a ward of the state.
Winchester Boy is online now  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Winchester Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winchester Ky
Posts: 7,896
Garage
Also, your speedometer will be off.

I am a ward of the state.
Winchester Boy is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester Boy View Post
Also, your speedometer will be off.
Can you not calibrate that like you do when you lift a truck and throw bigger wheels on it?
Hghgorilla is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Winchester Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winchester Ky
Posts: 7,896
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Can you not calibrate that like you do when you lift a truck and throw bigger wheels on it?
Iíve never done it but thereís something called a speedo healer.

I am a ward of the state.
Winchester Boy is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Rider
 
Vader225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wilson NC
Posts: 324
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgorilla View Post
Thank you guys for your help. Really appreciate it.
Last question, will -1 + 3 make a very noticeable difference in bringing my front wheel up?
YES. It will make it a lot easier to bring it up. You can buy a speedohealer which adjusts your speedo to compensate for the gear change.

Not Grinding, Not Riding
Vader225 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome