L1 750 Track/Street build - GSXR.com
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
L1 750 Track/Street build

I'm going to throw updates on my bike here.

A little background, I bought an L1 GSXr750 with a little over 2000 miles earlier this year and lowsided at the track. It was an easy lowside (at 65mph) and after a fairly simple rebuild to replace some plastics and maybe a lever, I decided I wanted to do a complete makeover, so I crashed at the track REALLY good. Managed to rash or crack EVERY last bit of plastic, bend a brake rotor, snap off a clip on, bent rearsets but the main part of the bike (fork, triples, frame, wheels, etc) survived amazingly well.

It's a work in progress and if anyone has any questions on what has gone before, I'm happy to share. Some of the highlights were an DIY FTECU flash, installation of their quickshifter, M4 Brembo brake installation with Braking's SK2 rotors. Stainless steel brake lines, Traxxion dynamics revalved and resprung forks, shimmed OEM shock and fork extenders up front, GSXR600 headers with a stainless steel stub welded to fit a DIY pie cut midpipe eliminating the cat. This ends in the stock location so I can use any of the slip on mufflers out there. Currently I replaced the rashed stock muffler with a Leo Vince slip on.

So, at the moment, I'm waiting on a superbike plastics kit from Armour Bodies. Seems they have very good reviews on their body kits. I ordered a superbike kit (one with the stock seat replaced with a one piece tail unit and a foam pad). Unfortunately, I was told it will be December before I MIGHT get it. Apparently they stock the supersport kit that utilizes the stock seat. Whatever, I'm healing from my clavicle fracture and I'm not riding seriously anyway.

I'm planning how to make the bike "street legal" while utilizing the race plastics. I was thinking a mini projector lights and a custom mount. I fabbed up a bracket to mount a tail/brake light sandwiched between the fender eliminator and the undersurface of the frame. I've been fortunate enough to have learned how to tig weld and brackets like this are an easy thing.

Pics to follow.

Last edited by JCW; 10-02-2017 at 07:05 PM.
JCW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Pro Racer
 
Racerxxxgsxr1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
I'm going to throw updates on my bike here.

A little background, I bought an L1 GSXr750 with a little over 2000 miles earlier this year and lowsided at the track. It was an easy lowside (at 65mph) and after a fairly simple rebuild to replace some plastics and maybe a lever, I decided I wanted to do a complete makeover, so I crashed at the track REALLY good. Managed to rash or crack EVERY last bit of plastic, bend a brake rotor, snap off a clip on, bent rearsets but the main part of the bike (fork, triples, frame, wheels, etc) survived amazingly well.

It's a work in progress and if anyone has any questions on what has gone before, I'm happy to share. Some of the highlights were an DIY FTECU flash, installation of their quickshifter, M4 Brembo brake installation with Braking's SK2 rotors. Stainless steel brake lines, Traxxion dynamics revalved and resprung forks, shimmed OEM shock and fork extenders up front, GSXR600 headers with a stainless steel stub welded to fit a DIY pie cut midpipe eliminating the cat. This ends in the stock location so I can use any of the slip on mufflers out there. Currently I replaced the rashed stock muffler with a Leo Vince slip on.

So, at the moment, I'm waiting on a superbike plastics kit from Armour Bodies. Seems they have very good reviews on their body kits. I ordered a superbike kit (one with the stock seat replaced with a one piece tail unit and a foam pad). Unfortunately, I was told it will be December before I MIGHT get it. Apparently they stock the supersport kit that utilizes the stock seat. Whatever, I'm healing from my clavicle fracture and I'm not riding seriously anyway.

I'm planning how to make the bike "street legal" while utilizing the race plastics. I was thinking a mini projector lights and a custom mount. I fabbed up a bracket to mount a tail/brake light sandwiched between the fender eliminator and the undersurface of the frame. I've been fortunate enough to have learned how to tig weld and brackets like this are an easy thing.

Pics to follow.
I had a chance to ride COTA Nov 25-26th but decided against due to my healing injury.
Take time with the shoulder, I cracked my clavicle once as well.
Now healing from torn bicep surgery, it sucks. Today was first day back at work, and I'm sore after 12hr shift.
I opted to get everything in order for next season as well as do my project work very soon.

My father left this Earth for Heaven 5/22/18.
I love you dad, you'll be greatly missed.
I'll always keep on keeping on.

.
.
.
.
Racerxxxgsxr1000 is offline  
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Misery loves company.





Taillight



Next up is the mount for the Aim Solo laptimer.

Last edited by JCW; 10-02-2017 at 08:53 PM.
JCW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Pro Racer
 
Racerxxxgsxr1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,854
Drink lots of milk and let that bone mend good. No fun fixing that one more than once.
My repair also requires bone healing over the injury for strength.

Pretty amazing technology. Painful as hell getting it all working again.
Todd_Sails and JCW like this.

My father left this Earth for Heaven 5/22/18.
I love you dad, you'll be greatly missed.
I'll always keep on keeping on.

.
.
.
.
Racerxxxgsxr1000 is offline  
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
AIM mount



backing plate installed


JCW is offline  
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
rv6john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In the twisties around Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 7,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
So, at the moment, I'm waiting on a superbike plastics kit from Armour Bodies. Seems they have very good reviews on their body kits. I ordered a superbike kit (one with the stock seat replaced with a one piece tail unit and a foam pad). Unfortunately, I was told it will be December before I MIGHT get it. Apparently they stock the supersport kit that utilizes the stock seat. Whatever, I'm healing from my clavicle fracture and I'm not riding seriously anyway.
My bike had a superbike tail on it when I got it and I really like it. It is so much easier to go side to side then with a stock saddle. Obviously, there is minimal padding so you do "feel" the bike, but it works well. I'm sure there is a lot of personal preference involved here also.

I got a set of Hotbodies with the superbike tail on a two for one deal that I'll be putting on soon.

You might check out Optimal plastics also. Good reports on those. Optimalracing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
If you think reading is tricky, how the hell are you going to follow troubleshooting directions?
"Riding well is difficult, riding poorly is easy and painful."
- Nick Ienatsch


"We're all here because we're not all there" - Guy Favron on Gold Rush

K6 750

Last edited by rv6john; 10-03-2017 at 10:28 AM.
rv6john is offline  
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Yeah. The stock seat is almost plush. Great OEM seat.
But I definitely feel it move around a little and wouldnt mind a little higher position with a little better feeling of connectedness. Lol.
I dont ride for long periods of time anymore. Numbness in my left hand after 30 - 45 mins prevents it.
JCW is offline  
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6john View Post
I got a set of Hotbodies with the superbike tail on a two for one deal that I'll be putting on soon.
If you're interested in splitting the parts up I'd be interested in the superbike tail. I have the Armour Bodies supersport bodywork and like it a lot but would like to go to superbike tail.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
rv6john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In the twisties around Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 7,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade View Post
If you're interested in splitting the parts up I'd be interested in the superbike tail. I have the Armour Bodies supersport bodywork and like it a lot but would like to go to superbike tail.
No I'm keeping the superbike tail!

Can't you just order the tail section separately? I see other manufacturers offering separate pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
If you think reading is tricky, how the hell are you going to follow troubleshooting directions?
"Riding well is difficult, riding poorly is easy and painful."
- Nick Ienatsch


"We're all here because we're not all there" - Guy Favron on Gold Rush

K6 750
rv6john is offline  
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6john View Post
No I'm keeping the superbike tail!

Can't you just order the tail section separately? I see other manufacturers offering separate pieces.
Yes you can. I think the Armour Bodies one is about 200 bucks. They're supposed to be coming out with a superbike seat pan you can just add to the supersport tail but not developed for the 2011-up 600/750 yet. I've also considered buying the Hotbodies seat pan; would think it should work with the AB tail.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
rv6john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In the twisties around Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 7,992
I didn't realize they made the superbike tail pans. Looks cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
If you think reading is tricky, how the hell are you going to follow troubleshooting directions?
"Riding well is difficult, riding poorly is easy and painful."
- Nick Ienatsch


"We're all here because we're not all there" - Guy Favron on Gold Rush

K6 750
rv6john is offline  
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
AIM link cable for Suzuki

So I bought my AIM Solo DL lap timer used and it did not come with the suzuki specific ECU link cable. But, I knew that I could buy this cable through AIM dealers.

Honestly, I'm sick in the head because I'll pay $500 for a used lap timer but balk at paying $65 for the proper link cable.

Anyway, the used lap timer came with 2 canbus/rs link cables (I don't know why). One end has a 7-pin miniature screw on round electrical connector to connect to the AIM unit and the other end are 6 wires unterminated. Of course, the signal wire I needed to send to the unit was the one missing wire. I hacked apart the cable and found that further up, all 7 wires were accounted for.

The suzuki specific link cable has a male 6 pin Sumitomo connector to attach to the dealer diagnostic link under the seat. Fortunately, the exhaust servo motor I removed has the correct male connector. I cut it off the electrical lead and spliced the wires onto the lead that came with the AIM unit after testing and confirming which wires were used. Fortunately AIM has the pinouts for the link cable and the AIM unit on their website. I did have to relocate one of the pins in the connector but since having done it for the FTECU flash installation, that part was easy.

Can't wait to try out the lap timer.
JCW is offline  
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
Have heard great things about the AIM lap timers. I was able to get a great deal on a used Moto-D Start in the middle of last year and it's worked well.
JCW likes this.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Revs hunting at idle

Noticed this rhythmic surging at idle when I removed the OEM muffler and put on the straight through Leo vince slip on.

This seems to be not an uncommon thing but I have not yet figured/read a solution.

It happens after the engine warms up and is at/near normal operating temps. Revs climb a couple hundred rpms and hunts between 1700-1200. The revs cycle about once per 1-1.5sec.


I think it has to do with the loss of backpressure (whatever that means). I can make it stop if I put my hand over the tailpipe. As soon as I remove my hand, it starts to hunt again.

I'm thinking I might try disabling the O2 sensor (through FTECU flash) to see if helps.
JCW is offline  
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Pro Racer
 
Racerxxxgsxr1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
Noticed this rhythmic surging at idle when I removed the OEM muffler and put on the straight through Leo vince slip on.

This seems to be not an uncommon thing but I have not yet figured/read a solution.

It happens after the engine warms up and is at/near normal operating temps. Revs climb a couple hundred rpms and hunts between 1700-1200. The revs cycle about once per 1-1.5sec.


I think it has to do with the loss of backpressure (whatever that means). I can make it stop if I put my hand over the tailpipe. As soon as I remove my hand, it starts to hunt again.

I'm thinking I might try disabling the O2 sensor (through FTECU flash) to see if helps.
Yea, it's a fuel mixture issue at that rpm I'm sure.

My father left this Earth for Heaven 5/22/18.
I love you dad, you'll be greatly missed.
I'll always keep on keeping on.

.
.
.
.
Racerxxxgsxr1000 is offline  
post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Just installed a one of those lightweight tubular rear subframes.
I am a little surprised the stock subframe isn't lighter (not that it's heavy), although it has to be made to carry...



So I'm pretty happy with the mod. Looks pretty trick too.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on some race plastics... Armour Bodies is not wanting to make the superbike tail. I don't see the L1+ option from Optimal.

Thinking about some adjustable triples. I figure maybe I can drop the front end back to stock if I can reduce my offset to regain trail from raising the rear. (if I have to explain, nevermind) Not for everyone, but I think the IMA set looks cool.

Last edited by JCW; 01-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.
JCW is offline  
post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Here's a pic of the subframe

JCW is offline  
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post

Thinking about some adjustable triples. I figure maybe I can drop the front end back to stock if I can reduce my offset to regain trail from raising the rear. (if I have to explain, nevermind) Not for everyone, but I think the IMA set looks cool.
Is that triple available for the 600/750? I'm only seeing it for the 1000. The only alternative triples I've seen are the Attack?

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
They better be.
I just dropped nearly a grand on them with the tapered bearing set.
But yeah, I double checked with them.

My budget is done for the year. Minus tires. And its only january.

But for next year, anyone know the cheapest place to get a set of bst or dymags?
tigerblade likes this.
JCW is offline  
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Just for reference, since I had a lot of difficulty finding the fork and triple clamp dimensions

2011-present gsxr600/750
Showa Big piston forks

upper fork tube 50mm
lower fork tube 53mm

triple clamp offset 30mm (I have not measured this, though. and cannot confirm right now)

Steering stem bearings sizes are 30mm/55mm/17mm
stock bearings are the ball type.
needle bearing replacements seem to share the part number 32006X

as I take off the stock parts I'll post more info.

With the IMA clamps, it looks like I will be able vary offset from 25mm to 31mm by 1mm increments. I'll have to calculate the trail changes.
tigerblade likes this.
JCW is offline  
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:47 AM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 AM
Pro Racer
 
Racerxxxgsxr1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,854
USD Fork Database
I found this handy, lists all bike's fork sizes as you scroll down.

My father left this Earth for Heaven 5/22/18.
I love you dad, you'll be greatly missed.
I'll always keep on keeping on.

.
.
.
.
Racerxxxgsxr1000 is offline  
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerxxxgsxr1000 View Post
USD Fork Database
I found this handy, lists all bike's fork sizes as you scroll down.
I saw that, but no info on 2011+ gsxrs. Nice chart though. Great info for fork swaps if you're into that sort of stuff.
JCW is offline  
post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade View Post
I'll be interested to hear your impressions.
I doubt it'll make any perceptible difference in my riding.

Even on track, I never had any chatter from the front end. Supposedly the vertical cuts in the upper triple helped this. Who knows.


I just would like to maybe not raise the front so much when the rear height is increased. And then maybe even fine tune the feel of the bike once the rear geometry/swingarm angle is better for corner exits.

Currently running 180/60 supercorsa and the 4-5mm shim under the stock rear shock. Maybe my rear ride height is up ~1".

Playing with online trail and rake calculators, it looks like every inch the rear goes up, the rake drops 1 deg and you lose .25" trail.

Each 2mm decrease in offset regains about 0.1" trail. The smallest offset with the IMA triples is 25mm, 5mm (30mm stock offset-25mm) means regaining almost .25" of trail.

This is what I calculated and I could be way off, though...

Last edited by JCW; 01-25-2018 at 09:05 AM.
JCW is offline  
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
I doubt it'll make any perceptible difference in my riding.

Even on track, I never had any chatter from the front end. Supposedly the vertical cuts in the upper triple helped this. Who knows.


I just would like to maybe not raise the front so much when the rear height is increased. And then maybe even fine tune the feel of the bike once the rear geometry/swingarm angle is better for corner exits.

Currently running 180/60 supercorsa and the 4-5mm shim under the stock rear shock. Maybe my rear ride height is up ~1".

Playing with online trail and rake calculators, it looks like every inch the rear goes up, the rake drops 1 deg and you lose .25" trail.

Each 2mm decrease in offset regains about 0.1" trail. The smallest offset with the IMA triples is 25mm, 5mm (30mm stock offset-25mm) means regaining almost .25" of trail.

This is what I calculated and I could be way off, though...
I run the 180/60 Pirelli slick with 5mm shim, JRi shock at 322mm eye-to-eye, K-Tech extended caps on the forks with forks dropped to 525mm from top of lower triple to center of the axle. Makes the bike pretty tall but works well.
JCW likes this.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Man, I am hating vendors at the moment.

It's been 2 weeks for the triples that I was told should only take 4-5 days.
3 months on bodywork that was supposed to be in December.
1 week on some titanium hardware that I've heard nothing from the vendor after paying.

Sorry, just had to vent...



BTW, anyone know who bought the carbon fiber gas tank for L1-on 600/750 from germany from ebay? I was saving up for that thing. lol.
JCW is offline  
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Triple clamps finally here. Took a detour in CO.

Don't get the $70 bearing kit. All you get is the lower taper bearing. All balls probably has one for $20.

The part looks nice. Well machined. Offset is adjusted with these collar inserts.

According to the one page instructions/parts list, it appears the triples are designed for the GSXR1000 and that stock offset is 28mm. It comes with offset collars to change the offset +/- 1,2,3 and 4mm. But no zero offset collar. So offset appears to be adjustable from 24 to 32mm in one mm increments minus 28mm.

I was looking to get 25mm but will start with the -2mm collar and see how it goes.

Although machined extensively, the lower clamp is not lightweight but quite robust, spreading the clamping force over a greater area on the fork legs. It'll be interesting to see how the triples compare weight-wise to stock.

Pics to follow...
tigerblade likes this.
JCW is offline  
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Armour Bodies just delay and delay the superbike kit. Now they are saying not until April, Maybe. So, I just ordered an in stock Pro fiber kit off ebay to get me ready for spring trackday. Hopefully the fairings will be here in 7-8 days.
JCW is offline  
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
DO NOT BUY the IMA triples for a 2011+ GSXR600/750. THEY DO NOT FIT!!!

I specifically ordered a set through Superbike Unlimited and after double and triple checking with them that IMA had my application and they confirming fork diameters with me, they placed my order.

The triples were then sent to the wrong address and after a couple nearly frantic unanswered emails asking why my triples were in colorado instead of illinois, I finally received a response through paypal and then my misdirected/misaddressed package yesterday evening.

Today after a long day at work, I pulled out the upper triple and laid it on top of the stock triple. The fork centers are at least a couple mm wider on the IMA clamps than the stock clamps.

Totally 'uckin' useless. And it's the weekend so I'm not gonna be able to contact anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
triples.jpg   right.jpg   left.jpg  

Last edited by JCW; 02-23-2018 at 10:04 PM.
JCW is offline  
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Oh yeah, while we are on the subject of vendors on my sh!tlist...

Mad Scientist Moto- titanium hardware NON supplier.

Ordered some rotor bolts and sprocket nuts last month. Not a peep from him after sending paypal payment.
Emailed, called, contacted through paypal and facebook. Nothing.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY>>>>

I mean if you are ill or have health problems, put a hold on your website e store, man!

Last edited by JCW; 02-23-2018 at 10:01 PM.
JCW is offline  
post #31 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Last one.
Armour Bodies for making product availability claims they can't keep. Not even by 3 MONTHS.
JCW is offline  
post #32 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 12:10 AM
Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 78
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
Oh yeah, while we are on the subject of vendors on my sh!tlist...

Mad Scientist Moto- titanium hardware NON supplier.

Ordered some rotor bolts and sprocket nuts last month. Not a peep from him after sending paypal payment.
Emailed, called, contacted through paypal and facebook. Nothing.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY>>>>

I mean if you are ill or have health problems, put a hold on your website e store, man!
I'm not sure if you have bought any products from MSM prior to your recent order. I can understand why you would be frustrated. This recently came up in another forum. You must of found out why your product is not coming judging by your last statement in this post. However, many of the guys who know him, state that in the end he will make it right. Whether it is by a refund or a product later on, they are reassuring that it will be taken care of. I don't personally know him, but I believe the others. I have bought from him before, and he makes a great product at a reasonable cost. Should there be a note on his site, probably, but there may be a reason why there isn't. The guy provided a lot of feedback and assistance to others. And from the sounds of it, was once a member on this forum. I know it sucks not having your parts, but hopefully it will all work out.



I was told 3 months for my bodywork from Hot Bodies. Hopefully I don't have an issue like your armour bodies.
RoidRageFool is offline  
post #33 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
In this instant gratification world, I have become used to getting things promptly 99% of the time.

I get pissed when i get told to pull over in slot 2 at McDonalds, right?

But, these past few instances have gone beyond that. In MSM case, a simple note or if he cant type, a call would have sufficed to keep the consumer if not happy then at least not totally in the dark.
Instead, he thinks it is ok to accept payment then offer no communication at all for over a month.

In the end, making it right to me isnt giving me a refund on money that has been in his hands for a month unless he returns it with interest.

I'll have to check again, but I do not see anywhere on his website where it says his products will take time to ship. But I might have missed it.
Todd_Sails likes this.
JCW is offline  
post #34 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Update on the triples situation.

First though I have to say that Superbike Unlimited has been much more responsive this time around, getting back to me even this weekend. That's worth something to me and I appreciate it.

Anyway, IMA informed them that they included some "spacers" in the kit that are used to space the rotors and axle to the correct spacing.

SO, IMA machine triples purposely to the incorrect fork center (likely for cost reasons, I'm guessing), then offers up a handful of washers to space your rotor and axle.

I am 99.99% sure that if I had known that, I would have not purchased these. But, as I have them already and would likely be stuck paying shipping somewhere to return them, I'm going to give it a try.

Personally, I would NOT use individual washers or shims to space rotors. A machined plate forming a new surface, yes.
JCW is offline  
post #35 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Triples are on!!!

I ended up not spacing the rotors. They looked centered enough for me on the calipers after everything was tightened.

The way front wheels mount on the axle and forks, you really only need to shim the left side of the wheel to center it.

Ima included shims for both which I dont really understand.

The change in width of the fork centers was minor enough when you split it on both sides.

I can live with just a thin shim to center the wheel.
JCW is offline  
post #36 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Pics




I installed a new tapered bearing on the new stem and lower triple. obviously, replaced the lower race in the frame. Upper one looked fine so I kept the ball bearing.

Went out for a short shakedown run. Nothing fell off or broke...

After coming back I loosened and re-tightened the bolts again, and it looks like the left rotor might need those spacers. I need to find my bore gauge set and compare the clearances on each side.
JCW is offline  
post #37 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Stays Crispy in Milk
 
tigerblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 5,621
Garage
Was wondering when I didn't see them listed specifically (post #18). Not sure how comfortable I'd be in "making them work".

Sorry to hear about your issues with Mad Scientist. I know he's been through some medical stuff and that's not your problem but I'm sure he will make it right. I got my caliper mounting and pinch bolts from him, but that was prior to all this.

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. -Joey Dunlop
tigerblade is offline  
post #38 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
You warned me...
I double and triple checked.

But, as far as I can figure, the gsxr thou has the same fork spacing 207mm. So this would apply to tham as well.

Go figure...

In retrospect, i would have gotten the driven adjustable offset triples instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade View Post
Was wondering when I didn't see them listed specifically (post #18). Not sure how comfortable I'd be in "making them work".

Sorry to hear about your issues with Mad Scientist. I know he's been through some medical stuff and that's not your problem but I'm sure he will make it right. I got my caliper mounting and pinch bolts from him, but that was prior to all this.
tigerblade likes this.
JCW is offline  
post #39 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Novice
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
Man, I am hating vendors at the moment.

It's been 2 weeks for the triples that I was told should only take 4-5 days.
3 months on bodywork that was supposed to be in December.
1 week on some titanium hardware that I've heard nothing from the vendor after paying.

Sorry, just had to vent...



BTW, anyone know who bought the carbon fiber gas tank for L1-on 600/750 from germany from ebay? I was saving up for that thing. lol.
one small note about the tank,

A set of tank pads can make a night and day difference, it is an excellent idea and really helps anchor your legs to the tank while hanging off. They usually only run about 30 bucks!
Mitsuzuki is offline  
post #40 of 133 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
JCW
Rider
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 315
Yeah, I know. I'm stupid for not having done this yet. Tank pads before the next trackday for sure!
JCW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome