After a couple of weeks of traveling I'm back with an update.
Just before I got busy, I finished painting the bike with the invaluable help of my friend Nick. I didn't do any additive body correction at this time, only sanding to smooth out imperfections. I taped off all the existing orange paint and only repainted the red. The tank is off of a different 2004 and features stock orange and silver graphics. Overall, I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.
(Finally out in the sun)
The only real issue I had was that the clear used by the previous painter was so cheap (or at least poorly prepared) that large sections of it came off with the painters tapeÖ
(Oh well, it's supposed to be a track rat anyway)
Fast forward to this past Sunday when I decide to actually install the tank (only mocked up above). I notice that the old tank (silver/blue underside) only has 2 vent ports on the bottom where the new tank (black) has 3. I contact my trusty ex-Suzuki mechanic friend who says the black tank was likely off of a California bike and that the third port was part of the early fuel injected emissions stuff. So, I blocked it off. I finished moving over the fuel pump and all of the hardware and the tank is now installed on the bike.
I've been busy with other things this week, so even though the tank is now on, the bike hasn't been started in about 3 weeks. One night this week, I'll get some gas in it and fire it up! After that, about the only thing left to do is paint the numbers silver to match the tank graphic and a few other odds and ends!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk