I think I'll keep posting on here to track my progress and give the story of the bike.
I bought the bike in Raleigh, NC, on 2/23/19 in some truly nasty weather. It's a 2004 which was written of in 2004 and has been a track bike since. I had to drive through rain the entire 8 hour round trip. Took a brief test ride in the rain, during which the 12 year old rear tire proved it had basically no traction... The bike ran well though and I couldn't find anything that seemed really wrong with it for the price so I took it.
(Bike at seller's house)
The seller only had it a couple of months before deciding he wasn't going to have time to do many (if any) track days this year and decided to just go ahead and pass the bike along. He actually found me asking about another bike in a forum, and a week later I was at his house. Included with the sale was race body work, Vortex clip ons, Vortex rear sets, Vortex sprockets, 520 chain (which needs replacing), aftermarket mystery headers and mid-pipe with a Hindle slip on, spare tank, new in box keyless ignition, new in box Motion Pro throttle cables, new in box iridium plugs, extra fuel tank, front and rear stands, and then forks, an Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske rear shock which were all serviced in November.
The next day I started peeling off body work to see what I had gotten into and uncovered the best of surprises: it looks pretty dang solid!
(Naked in the driveway)
All of the electrics had actually been well taken care of during conversion and everything was neatly stored.
I decided to go over a bunch of preventative maintenance stuff just so I knew where I was starting. I don't have a great place to work so it got moved to a top secret garage I'm bumming in for a bit.
(Temporary new home)
The first thing I did was peel off the tank and airbox to see what all was going on. The air filter was a little dirty, but the secondary butterfly valves were still on the bike and appeared to function properly.
(Keen observers will notice this is still at my house…but whatever)
From there, I decided to start with a small victory and install the included keyless ignition. Unfortunately, it was for a K5 which I didn't notice until the kill switch plugs didn't fit… (Let me know if you have one for a K4 that you'd like to trade!!)
So after that, I took out the plugs and removed the valve cover. The plugs actually looked really good, but I'll replace them with the included iridium ones anyway. Everything looked good under the valve cover and all of the valves were solidly within their correct tolerances.
Up next (week) will be a compression test and installing the new plugs. A decent parts order should also come in next week which will lead to more stories to tell.
If you made it this far, thanks! I'll try to do an update every day I work on it from here on out so posts should be a little more reasonable in length!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk