Wheelie 101 - Page 2 - GSXR.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 245 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
The Lone Rider
 
04StreetGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,462
thanks man sorry no advice, try and clutch it up i guess. im too afraid to do that.
04StreetGSXR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
I ALLways clutch up i fell more comfortable doin it that way....well in 2nd anyways first i dont clutch up....
SuzukiHooptie is offline  
post #43 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
i been practicing my power wheelies..
i can get em up pretty high sometimes, but not every time it seems. last night on an empty tank i had that sucker way up there. when i hit it at just the right time it goes waaay up
i'm still freaked out to try clutching too, but i'vebeen getting used to mixing clutch and throttle aggressivley. I'd assume that will lead to a wheelie one day

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 452
I'm not crazy about trying to clutch it up. I would rather save my clutch/final drive/engine.
marko138 is offline  
post #45 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:28 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04StreetGSXR
ok well i was practicing some more wheelies and when i came back down the front end got a little wobbly, i had control and didnt freak out, but i noticed i was in neutral and figured i hit it out of first going up or coming down. well anyways i tried to put it in second, all i heard was like a grinding noise like when you miss a gear in a car, did the same when i tried to put it into first, finally it went into gear. is this a known occurance, or what please ease my mind. its still a brand new bike.
If you are going fast...and im sure if you were powerwheeling it, you were over 30-40 mph and you put it into neutral you need to slow down before putting it into gear. I don't know why that is, i'd imagine you're just going too fast for the gears to slide in easy. This has happened to my bike. just simply slow down and then put it into second. If you force it you will hear a loud "clunk".
ceeken2000 is offline  
post #46 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:47 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeken2000
If you are going fast...and im sure if you were powerwheeling it, you were over 30-40 mph and you put it into neutral you need to slow down before putting it into gear. I don't know why that is, i'd imagine you're just going too fast for the gears to slide in easy. This has happened to my bike. just simply slow down and then put it into second. If you force it you will hear a loud "clunk".
Wouldn't blipping the throttle work too?
marko138 is offline  
post #47 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Pro Racer
 
skibum91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04StreetGSXR
ok well i was practicing some more wheelies and when i came back down the front end got a little wobbly, i had control and didnt freak out, but i noticed i was in neutral and figured i hit it out of first going up or coming down. well anyways i tried to put it in second, all i heard was like a grinding noise like when you miss a gear in a car, did the same when i tried to put it into first, finally it went into gear. is this a known occurance, or what please ease my mind. its still a brand new bike.
You have to match engine speed to road speed, you have to rev the motor to get it to slide into gear easier.

MSF Instructor
Motorcycle Mechanic

Ride it like you stole it!!!
If you can't race it or take it to bed, It aint worth having!
Loved by many, Loyal to few.
2005 GSX-R1000 Streetbike
2004 GSX-R1000 Racebike
2005 DR650-Get to work in the winter bike
2005 WR450-Wreck in the Dirt bike
713 Sportbike Crew-President
skibum91 is offline  
post #48 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 146
I been trying every other weekend to do a wheelie. I do about a couple per session, out of say 20 tries. All this time what I've been doing is clutching it up in first from a rolling start. However this last time out, I actually got it up sorta doing the power thing. I get my bike up to about 7k, then leggo of the throttle, and then punch it, time it just right and pull up on the bars.
psyclobe is offline  
post #49 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
sweet! i can get that sucker to power wheelie all day, every try. I just have a problem getting all the way up to BP now.. if i did get it up there i'd be at some serious rpm and would probably set it back down anyways. sure looks cool to pop a phat wheelie coming off the light when there is a bunch of traffic on the other side of the road =)
now i gotta learn clutching up reliably... yikes!

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #50 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:53 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,178
well guys, i read all the pages and i tihnk im ready to go out in the country and try to do some power wheelies! wish me luck! i will be back on later tonight ( if im still alive lol) to tell my experiences!
mr_gsxr750 is offline  
post #51 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Wheelie 600

I have a stock 93 600 and pull wheelies all the time. I learned on dirtbikes and than i practiced on my bike, only took about 2 trys. Now I want to learn to keep up the wheel and shift into 2nd.
usvortec is offline  
post #52 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:46 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,178
well guys i went out and when it actually came time to try to do some wheelies, i was too afraid im not afraid of gettting the wheel up, im just afraid of ruining the bike if i have to lay it down!
mr_gsxr750 is offline  
post #53 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 169
wow, i must really suck at doing wheelies... I cant power them up in first nor can i clutch it in second and im pretty sure im doin what all the posts said... The highest ive gotten it up was pry around 4-5 inches.... Can some one PM me some better suggestions. or email me at [email protected]
gixxer2000 is offline  
post #54 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gsxr750
well guys i went out and when it actually came time to try to do some wheelies, i was too afraid im not afraid of gettting the wheel up, im just afraid of ruining the bike if i have to lay it down!
fear is what makes you try harder and keeps you somewhat sane...also it keeps you in your limits....if there was no fear i wouldnt be on a bike...just remember to stay in your limits and take baby steps
sacgsxr is offline  
post #55 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:29 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacgsxr
fear is what makes you try harder and keeps you somewhat sane...also it keeps you in your limits....if there was no fear i wouldnt be on a bike...just remember to stay in your limits and take baby steps
well i dont think it will be much longer, because about 1 week ago, i never revved it past 7K rpms and now when im on the back roads i go right to 12K. so i think its just that right now i dont feel confident enough to try but its only a matter of time in my mind!
mr_gsxr750 is offline  
post #56 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,178
is it also possible to do a power wheelie in second? or is it only with the clutch that you can bring it up in second?
mr_gsxr750 is offline  
post #57 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 03:32 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by usvortec
I have a stock 93 600 and pull wheelies all the time. I learned on dirtbikes and than i practiced on my bike, only took about 2 trys. Now I want to learn to keep up the wheel and shift into 2nd.

Bro...I have a 92 750 (see my avatar). Your bike has got to be about as heavy as mine right? Those old bastards are rocks man! Post some pics of that baby.
marko138 is offline  
post #58 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gsxr750
is it also possible to do a power wheelie in second? or is it only with the clutch that you can bring it up in second?
since i started doing wheelies from the info here..
i havn't been able to get it up in second. i figured out i can do the "let off" at about 5k rpm (alot less than i thought before)and then smack it open. the bike will lift up quite a bit higher than 4-5 inches... especially if you keep your body loose and ready to come back a bit without moving around. seems like after you get the point of where to start the power wheelie... its only a matter of learning to let it come up by adjusting your body to get used to the experience. i find myself pushing down on the bike now to put it down. sit your ass way back on the seat and losen up on the arms.. juke the throttle and dont move your body accept for leaning back when the bike comes up in 1st gear. you wont flip it.. you'll only be doin 50 when the wheel comes back down and the engine breaking will save you from anything but a short run way or a car crossing your path. an easy power wheelie isn't really scary, it just sounds like the bike is going to come up way easy and flip over. if you are somewhat reserved you aren't flipping anything and a desert road with lots of stop signs is your new best friend and remember, the second you push the front end down, it comes down, and everything is OK again.

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #59 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Racer
 
wickmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemonster
since i started doing wheelies from the info here..
i havn't been able to get it up in second. i figured out i can do the "let off" at about 5k rpm (alot less than i thought before)and then smack it open. the bike will lift up quite a bit higher than 4-5 inches... especially if you keep your body loose and ready to come back a bit without moving around. seems like after you get the point of where to start the power wheelie... its only a matter of learning to let it come up by adjusting your body to get used to the experience. i find myself pushing down on the bike now to put it down. sit your ass way back on the seat and losen up on the arms.. juke the throttle and dont move your body accept for leaning back when the bike comes up in 1st gear. you wont flip it.. you'll only be doin 50 when the wheel comes back down and the engine breaking will save you from anything but a short run way or a car crossing your path. an easy power wheelie isn't really scary, it just sounds like the bike is going to come up way easy and flip over. if you are somewhat reserved you aren't flipping anything and a desert road with lots of stop signs is your new best friend and remember, the second you push the front end down, it comes down, and everything is OK again.
Thats on a 99 600. Dont get any ideas of trying that on a '01 1K. That sum bitch will flip right over before you can even think about letting off the gas and grabbin the rear brake.

Americans cant build anything worth half a crap.The only way to win is to "legally" cheat.

K6 1K with the usual blah blah stuff done.
wickmaster is offline  
post #60 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
guess i should have added in there somewhere... "on a 99 600..." =P

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #61 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Pro Racer
 
wickmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemonster
guess i should have added in there somewhere... "on a 99 600..." =P

HAHA

Americans cant build anything worth half a crap.The only way to win is to "legally" cheat.

K6 1K with the usual blah blah stuff done.
wickmaster is offline  
post #62 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:13 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 169
wow, i must really suck at doing wheelies... I cant power them up in first nor can i clutch it in second and im pretty sure im doin what all the posts said... The highest ive gotten it up was pry around 4-5 inches.... Can some one PM me some better suggestions. or email me at [email protected]
gixxer2000 is offline  
post #63 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Rider
 
BMACKNYC1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickmaster
Thats on a 99 600. Dont get any ideas of trying that on a '01 1K. That sum bitch will flip right over before you can even think about letting off the gas and grabbin the rear brake.
when you wheelie first on your 1k do you power it up or clutch it?second?
BMACKNYC1K is offline  
post #64 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Racer
 
usdm420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: .909.So.Kali.42o.
Posts: 3,290
i've been going lower n lower with the rpms on the power wheelies now too..as soon as she lifts off the ground i can dig into the throttle and get a nice smooth lift to where i want..now if i could just keep it up (the bike assholes!!! hahaha) and get into 2nd, but i haven't tried shifting yet..

EX - proud owner of '04 gixx 600 *SOLD*

If your shit ain't from Japan, its NOT JDM bitch
usdm420 is offline  
post #65 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
ey USDM,,,
i was out busting wheelies all over where that bar and grill was! i saw a gsxr yellow..was that you or what man? i know the guy on the yellow gsxr saw me and kept going, so i figured that wasn't you?! we must have missed echother by a few minutes or some shit

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #66 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Racer
 
usdm420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: .909.So.Kali.42o.
Posts: 3,290
yeah we barely missed each other..that other yellow gixxer wasn't me..i took off all of the factory black stickers down the sides.....the sides are ALL yellow

EX - proud owner of '04 gixx 600 *SOLD*

If your shit ain't from Japan, its NOT JDM bitch
usdm420 is offline  
post #67 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
got up to bp from a power wheelie last night... would held ita bit longer accept for it scared the shit out of me =D
will try again today

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #68 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
saweeeeet! I'm getting em there alot! this morning i put a few more up to balance point... i even rode one at balance point for a few seconds this time untill i ran out of rev. theres some good info on here! 2-3 weeks later i'm riding them for a bit longer than just popping it up! good deal. some other board was trying to send me to a wheelie school on a triumph
it's kindof odd how it will lift up at such a lower RPM.. i havn't been looking lately (which is good) but my guess is i start the wheelie at about 4-5k now.. not even in the power band yet... so when i do get to the power band i have juice to bring it to bp

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #69 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Racer
 
usdm420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: .909.So.Kali.42o.
Posts: 3,290
yuuuup, i told you...the more relaxed you get, the lower you can drop the rpm's and still get it up..

EX - proud owner of '04 gixx 600 *SOLD*

If your shit ain't from Japan, its NOT JDM bitch
usdm420 is offline  
post #70 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Pro Racer
 
wickmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC954RR
when you wheelie first on your 1k do you power it up or clutch it?second?

Power it up. Both gears.

Americans cant build anything worth half a crap.The only way to win is to "legally" cheat.

K6 1K with the usual blah blah stuff done.
wickmaster is offline  
post #71 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
shit, i almost fell of the back today! how do i keep it at BP?! i either go too much or too little. i think my bounce is inconsistent or somethin. this is tricky!
on that note i figured out i can power up a wheelie in third standing up =D
I keep trying to remember to cover that ol rear break too

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #72 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:53 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,178
i tried clutching it up today and i almost lost my grip on the handle bars! i find that when i try to clutch it up, that its very jerky! its weird cause when i watch my buddies clutch it up, they seem to do it very smotthly!
mr_gsxr750 is offline  
post #73 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Racer
 
usdm420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: .909.So.Kali.42o.
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemonster
shit, i almost fell of the back today! how do i keep it at BP?! i either go too much or too little. i think my bounce is inconsistent or somethin. this is tricky!
on that note i figured out i can power up a wheelie in third standing up =D
I keep trying to remember to cover that ol rear break too

power it up in 3rd?? damn y0, thats hauling ass

EX - proud owner of '04 gixx 600 *SOLD*

If your shit ain't from Japan, its NOT JDM bitch
usdm420 is offline  
post #74 of 245 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Rider
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NANUET
Posts: 161
i got an 05 750 and i am having trouble in 2nd gear to get that front tire up...i tried from like 7,000 to slam the throttle but it doesnt come up i tried clutchin the bitch and it dont come up either....any tips?
GIXER750 is offline  
post #75 of 245 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:15 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 24
i had no idea when i was starting out doin wheelies. i just started clutchin it up in 1st gear well my bike went over backwards. that was only the second week after i had the bike. being my first bike i expected it to happen. either way i now can clutch wheelies up in first gear with no problem what so ever and i can basically do it at any rpm. my problem now is trying to transition from either first gear to second DURING A WHEELIE or clutching it in second gear. i know my bike (2k5 600) has the power to pull it up in second gear without dropping my sprocket down a tooth BUT its becoming a pain in my ass. i see people on older bikes and bikes with not nearly the power of mine pulling wheelies up in 2nd and riding them for days. i try it and i come about 6 inches off the ground. i usually take the rpm to about 6k which is like 52mph thats where my friend said it was easiest when he tried on my bike. also my clutch is adjusted way out so i only need to use one finger to pop it. all of these things done i still have a hell of a time doing it. maybe because i have short arms and have to sit closer to the tank? cant slide back far enough? do i need to "bounce" the front of the bike? please help im stumped
n1ck is offline  
post #76 of 245 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Rider
 
jsnone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
[QUOTE=cakemonster] only to smack my nuts on the tank =) QUOTE]

I feel ya, just did my first power wheelie on my lunch break, I dont think Ill be able to have kids!!!! need to make sure Im farther away from the tank next time!!!
jsnone1 is offline  
post #77 of 245 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Novice
 
cakemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: riverside, california, USA
Posts: 84
killer man, your on the right track

99 GSX-R 600 SOLD
2003 GSX-R Alstare SOLD
2011 GSX-R 750 Current
cakemonster is offline  
post #78 of 245 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Rider
 
jsnone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemonster
killer man, your on the right track
2 hrs later and still killin me, this SUCKS!!!
jsnone1 is offline  
post #79 of 245 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Racer
 
Got2josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ck
i had no idea when i was starting out doin wheelies. i just started clutchin it up in 1st gear well my bike went over backwards. that was only the second week after i had the bike. being my first bike i expected it to happen. either way i now can clutch wheelies up in first gear with no problem what so ever and i can basically do it at any rpm. my problem now is trying to transition from either first gear to second DURING A WHEELIE or clutching it in second gear. i know my bike (2k5 600) has the power to pull it up in second gear without dropping my sprocket down a tooth BUT its becoming a pain in my ass. i see people on older bikes and bikes with not nearly the power of mine pulling wheelies up in 2nd and riding them for days. i try it and i come about 6 inches off the ground. i usually take the rpm to about 6k which is like 52mph thats where my friend said it was easiest when he tried on my bike. also my clutch is adjusted way out so i only need to use one finger to pop it. all of these things done i still have a hell of a time doing it. maybe because i have short arms and have to sit closer to the tank? cant slide back far enough? do i need to "bounce" the front of the bike? please help im stumped
First off, stand up, it moves your weight back and makes it a lot eisier to bring up, and makes bp lower. And clutch that thing HARD. 2nd takes a lot more revs than 1st, keep your arms straight and don't hump the tank when it comes up high.
Got2josh is offline  
post #80 of 245 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 459
ive got a feeling that all these guys who cant wheelie there bikes, are new riders period. you guys must have never had dirt bikes or anything. for me going from my xr 400 to the gsxr 1000 no differnce in my approach to wheelies other than the xr is actually easier. but i havent tried stand ups on the 1000 yet i can do em on the dirt bike just havent tried on the 1000 yet. but i think a lot can be learned on a dirt bike. especially the essentials like throttle control, and manipulation of the bike using your body, i'm 64 310 and can do sit downs forever but when i stand up on the gixxer its way uncomfortable, as of now, another few weeks and i'll be good to go
BBCorvette18Punk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GSXR.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheelie 101 question Yozer General GSXR Chat 3 11-12-2016 01:31 PM
wheelie question.... i read the 101 class too kens_05 Stunts 6 03-07-2008 03:08 AM
the 101 at night badfish13 Crashes 4 09-06-2007 01:22 PM
Wheelie 101 (pics+vids) unkut2003 Vids and Pics 71 08-15-2006 09:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome