GSXR.com - View Single Post - How to setup the suspension?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Wraith_Rider
Rider

Garage
How to setup the suspension?

I am a short but stocky guy, 5' 8", 190 pounds, my legs are kind of shorter (30" inseam with pants).

With my 2005 GSXR 600 K5, I need about an inch and a half to touch the ground with my Speed and Strength Run With The Bulls 2.0 shoes. I really don't want to mess with the seat (unless absolutely needed) and trim it, but I would be happier being able to flat foot the bike. The only way I would want to go to the stock height would be going to track days, but for commuting and just riding around I want to lower it a bit as I am not knee dragging or even close to it on the street!

My kickstand has already been cut, as my co-worker had it lowered at some point and the bike leans over fairly far compared to a stock bike. He must have had it put back to stock height, because my suspension appears to be at stock settings according to the manual and there is no lowering link on the rear shock. Not sure if there ever was one but assuming with the the cut kickstand, there was one at one point.

I either lean to one side or stand on the tips of my toes while sitting at lights.

Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know a good place for suspension setups for sport bikes in Illinois or Indiana? I live in Chicago Heights, Illinois which means I am close to Northwest Indiana as well. The nearest Suzuki dealership I know of is in Merrillville, Indiana.

2. If I want to do it myself, besides installing a lowering link, which I only need 2" at most, what do I need to do to the front to make it match?

3. After setting sag, something I want to do, what else can I do to dial in the suspension?

I have never messed with the suspension but would love to learn it or have guidance on how to do it.

Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.

2005 K5 GSXR 600
-Fully restored and painted by myself
-Carbon fiber bar ends and levers
-Shinko Stealth 003 tires
-NGK Iridium Spark plugs

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome